TMC Tmc - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 19:06 Thread Starter

Tmc

Do any of you who have the satnav know if the TMC is the standard free system or the premium system?? ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 19:42
Cad
estranged

How can we tell?

My TMC system alerts me to holdups on my entered route (which is why I use it even if I know where I'm going), and suggests an alternate route. I'm not sure if that's a feature of the free, or premium, system.

It also has flow data (for the affected part/side of the road), but again I'm not sure which package that belongs to.

Last edited by Cad; 18th September 2006 at 19:49.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 19:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

flow data sounds like it might be the premium system

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 18th September 2006, 20:52

There are no free TMC systems in the UK so far as I was aware. This was impressed on me very clearly by Renault, who declined to pay ITIS a fee to include the data on their map CDs. Renault then claimed that TMC didn't work in the UK.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 02:39
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Have you look in the manual or on the software might tell your in the about section, how old are the map on the sat nav, and how much are new map i,e 2007 version ,are the uk or eupoe?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 09:27
Supporter

I have a seperate Garmin Sat-Nav and have recently bought a Garmin GTM12 TMC.

It came with a "lifetime" subscription included in the price for UK ??
Europe was optional monthly subscription packages

It seems to interact with the sat nav and gives me the option of detouring around the problem as well as an indication of how bad it is by both colour code and description .... This mornings example "3 miles of stationary traffic" (not sure if it indicates direction of problem... i think it does but only set it up last night)

Eg 3 mile queues on the M25 i consider normal flow !!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 09:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nerd they lied to you, there is a free system based on traffic database used by police/fire/radios etc and then there is a premium system that uses traffic master (the cameras on blue poles at the side of the road)

Can you ever belive what a car dealer tells you??
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomthumb View Post
Nerd they lied to you, there is a free system based on traffic database used by police/fire/radios etc and then there is a premium system that uses traffic master (the cameras on blue poles at the side of the road)

Can you ever belive what a car dealer tells you??
Any references to the free one?

The two I am aware of are the one provided by ITIS, used by Siemens-VDO Dayton, which has been around since 2002. And very poor it is based on a very small sample of data. This is the one used by the majority of motor manufacturers in the UK. The other, available only much more recently is provided jointly by RAC and TrafficMaster. This is the version used by Honda in the Civic DVD system. Much better data quality, because there are far more data points available.

And no, I would never believe what I am told by a dealer. Even less do I believe what I am told by a manufacturer. This is the consequence of dealing with Renault, who told both customers and dealers out and out lies over TMC availability in the UK for nearly three years.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 19th September 2006, 17:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Soft...FICMASTER.html

give a description of the 2 types
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 09:06
pcr

That's an interesting link, I didn't realise TMC worked in that way. Does anyone know how realiable and current the data is ?. What I mean is, if you travel 10 miles to work down a country lane with no convenient detour and TMC flags a hold-up, would you believe it. I think I would want to go and check it out.
Regards, pcr.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 09:23
Supporter

Dont know much detail yet but it now avoids the M25 in the morning
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 09:30
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcr View Post
That's an interesting link, I didn't realise TMC worked in that way. Does anyone know how realiable and current the data is ?. What I mean is, if you travel 10 miles to work down a country lane with no convenient detour and TMC flags a hold-up, would you believe it. I think I would want to go and check it out.
Regards, pcr.

I think it's fairly up-to-date as it uses the 'flow' information gathered by the 'blue' sensors at the side of the main roads so when the traffic starts moving again it should clear itself. It probably has a built in delay to cope with stop/start situations.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 09:59
Supporter

If i go into the "Traffic option" on the menu it shows ALL the reported issues, the distance from ME and the Severity Red/Amber/Green and a description of the problem - ie accident, slow moving traffic, heavy congestion

The code seems to be :-

Green - Normal Flow
Amber - Delays but moving
Red - Either go around or stop for coffee....

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 10:15

You lucky lot. My TMC indicator seems to spend most of it's time red (well pinky red) these days telling me it is not available. I am assuming I have a fault. I recall another thread about this one.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 10:26

As far as I know subscription to TMC was covered in the purchase of the car and is free for life - or perhaps not, the high cost of up to date CD's for the sat nav may include the subscrption.

I have found it works fine, the detour option has got me around several big jams however sometime intervention is needed if it's obvious that there are probs with the alternative route. It's like using the sat nav in general, you have to have some idea of where you are going in the first place.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 10:26
Cad
estranged

Mine seems to be always red (scanning) also, though it does still warn me about delays on my route.

Maybe this is related to the poor radio reception mentioned in other threads?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjelsworth View Post
You lucky lot. My TMC indicator seems to spend most of it's time red (well pinky red) these days telling me it is not available. I am assuming I have a fault. I recall another thread about this one.
Time to see your dealer.

According to the coverage map from Trafficmaster/Honda http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1155576569, Halifax should be covered by one of the local TMC transmitting stations. However, it looks as though there are some areas not too far away where coverage may be weak.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
As far as I know subscription to TMC was covered in the purchase of the car and is free for life - or perhaps not, the high cost of up to date CD's for the sat nav may include the subscrption.

I have found it works fine, the detour option has got me around several big jams however sometime intervention is needed if it's obvious that there are probs with the alternative route. It's like using the sat nav in general, you have to have some idea of where you are going in the first place.
In the pricing model used by ITIS for their iTMC product the cost of the service was effectively paid for by an increase of about £50 in the cost of the map CD compared to the non-TMC versions. So once you had a TMC enabled CD, it worked as long as you kept the CD.

I assume that the RAC/TrafficMaster system is working to the same model, and therefore will work for as long as you can accept the reliability of the roads data - which is usually about a year out of date by the time you buy the DVD.

FWIW, I think that virtually every other country in the EU provides a free of charge TMC service (although there are some regional premium services in France and possibly elsewhere). The basis is presumably that the more people using the service, the less likely that traffic holdups will escalate. So you could look on the £50 as yet another stealth tax - in the sense that you pay it for a service the Department of Transport has decided not to fund.

Don't forget that the information provided by the service is always out of date. You won't be told about a problem until after the trafficmaster system has realised that cars are taking a long time between cameras - by which time the problem is well under way. It's still better than the mobile samples used by ITIS, where you probably need a couple of Eddie Stobart trucks or National Express coaches to be stuck in traffic before it registers.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 12:47

Also, as the TMC information is derived directly from FM radio, the reception will be directly affected by the relatively poor signal available from the window aerial. I suspect that the dropouts being experienced would be much less if there were a better aerial, or aerial amplifier.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 20th September 2006, 13:00

Thanks for the info very informative

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page