Satnav sat nav - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 21:40 Thread Starter
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
sat nav

Adding Speed Camera POI to your BMW Professional NAV DVD

home | using nero | using iso | non-uk users | feedback Last Updated: 26/07/2007
** New ** Volunteers required!

I've added the capability to generate the required idx and url files on the site itself from an input file you upload.

Hopefully those people who are having problems getting perl installed and running locally or who would rather not fiddle about with perl altogether will find this of use, as you no longer have to worry about this particular stage because the web site will generate the required files for you.

I have tested the process and it all appears to work ok but ideally I'd like a few brave souls to try it out for me before I make it publicly available in case I've overlooked any gotchas. Ideally I'd like you to upload your asc input file, download the generated idx and url files and then if you wouldn't mind add them to your dvd image, burn the dvd and tryout in your car.

If you would like to give this a try then please let me know via the feedback form.

Thank you.

Documented here are two methods for editing and producing the modified DVD. One creates an ISO image of the NAV DVD which you make the modifications to, before burning the modified ISO image to DVD and in the other you just copy the NAV DVD files to your hard disk, make the modifications and then use Nero to burn the files to DVD.
Use whichever method your feel comfortable with and works for you.
These instructions are based upon modifying a BMW European Professional 2006-01 DVD with UK speed camera information; however the principle is the same for earlier and later versions of the DVD as well as for non-European versions of the BMW Professional NAV DVD.
Making this possible this was a collective effort with many people involved, so a big thank you to everyone who contributed to this process.
THE USE OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK
If you have found these instructions it would be great if you would click on the PayPal Donate button below to help contribute to the hosting/running of this site. Thank you
If you don't have them already then you'll need the locations of speed cameras within the UK. These can be obtained from www.pocketgpsworld.com . From here download the latest speed camera database. It costs around £2 a month or £19 a year. Click on Speed Cameras on the top menu and select 'other' in the drop down chart. You need to download one in asc format.

**** IMPORTANT ****
If you are running CIP v23 or later it appears that it doesn't like the Joliet file system, therefore make sure only ISO and UDF are ticked. All other steps are the same. Thanks to vcx over at e60.net for this tip.
He also reports that from CIP v23 onwards the NAV system now remembers if your POIs were enabled and so when you restart your car you don't have to go and re-enable POIs everytime.

** New ** Sample ENG.LSC files for 2006-01 and later versions can be found here:

Thanks to Tommy from e60.net who has confirmed that DVD RW- media works ok so no more wasted DVDs and keeping the DVD up to date no longer requires a new DVD everytime. A word of caution though comes from Bruce

"Some older nav units do not like DVD+RWs. The newer cars are fine but also note that DVD-RW are a lot slower that the DVD+R"

so it would be worth bearing this in mind.

Any questions please drop by the DIY: Do It Yourself forum over at e60.net or use the feedback form to drop me a note.

do you think you could had this to honda sat nav?

Last edited by DUNCAN; 2nd April 2008 at 21:44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 22:20
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to britsbest
I assume that, because I didn't understand a word of that lot, I am not an ideal candidate to test it??
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 22:34
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by britsbest View Post
I assume that, because I didn't understand a word of that lot, I am not an ideal candidate to test it??

makes 2 of us

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 22:48
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNCAN View Post
Adding Speed Camera POI to your BMW Professional NAV DVD

home | using nero | using iso | non-uk users | feedback Last Updated: 26/07/2007
** New ** Volunteers required!

I've added the capability to generate the required idx and url files on the site itself from an input file you upload.

Hopefully those people who are having problems getting perl installed and running locally or who would rather not fiddle about with perl altogether will find this of use, as you no longer have to worry about this particular stage because the web site will generate the required files for you.

I have tested the process and it all appears to work ok but ideally I'd like a few brave souls to try it out for me before I make it publicly available in case I've overlooked any gotchas. Ideally I'd like you to upload your asc input file, download the generated idx and url files and then if you wouldn't mind add them to your dvd image, burn the dvd and tryout in your car.

If you would like to give this a try then please let me know via the feedback form.

Thank you.

Documented here are two methods for editing and producing the modified DVD. One creates an ISO image of the NAV DVD which you make the modifications to, before burning the modified ISO image to DVD and in the other you just copy the NAV DVD files to your hard disk, make the modifications and then use Nero to burn the files to DVD.
Use whichever method your feel comfortable with and works for you.
These instructions are based upon modifying a BMW European Professional 2006-01 DVD with UK speed camera information; however the principle is the same for earlier and later versions of the DVD as well as for non-European versions of the BMW Professional NAV DVD.
Making this possible this was a collective effort with many people involved, so a big thank you to everyone who contributed to this process.
THE USE OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK
If you have found these instructions it would be great if you would click on the PayPal Donate button below to help contribute to the hosting/running of this site. Thank you
If you don't have them already then you'll need the locations of speed cameras within the UK. These can be obtained from www.pocketgpsworld.com . From here download the latest speed camera database. It costs around £2 a month or £19 a year. Click on Speed Cameras on the top menu and select 'other' in the drop down chart. You need to download one in asc format.

**** IMPORTANT ****
If you are running CIP v23 or later it appears that it doesn't like the Joliet file system, therefore make sure only ISO and UDF are ticked. All other steps are the same. Thanks to vcx over at e60.net for this tip.
He also reports that from CIP v23 onwards the NAV system now remembers if your POIs were enabled and so when you restart your car you don't have to go and re-enable POIs everytime.

** New ** Sample ENG.LSC files for 2006-01 and later versions can be found here:

Thanks to Tommy from e60.net who has confirmed that DVD RW- media works ok so no more wasted DVDs and keeping the DVD up to date no longer requires a new DVD everytime. A word of caution though comes from Bruce

"Some older nav units do not like DVD+RWs. The newer cars are fine but also note that DVD-RW are a lot slower that the DVD+R"

so it would be worth bearing this in mind.

Any questions please drop by the DIY: Do It Yourself forum over at e60.net or use the feedback form to drop me a note.

do you think you could had this to honda sat nav?
Pardon ??????
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 22:51
Supporter

Makes perfect sense to me.

Pity I don't have SatNav

Sorry.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 22:53
Supporter

My over-arching flux capicitor can not take the load required
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 22:57
Supporter

Hope there is`nt a written exam afterwards
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 23:00
Supporter

Think we need Stef to examine the realities of the original post and report the outcomes to Pottsy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 23:54
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
This would be perfectly possible if we used the BMW satnav... Unfortunately the Alpine system appears to use encrypted POI databases, and until a way is found around this then no, it's not possible.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd April 2008, 23:58
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
I now use the bmw sat nav
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2008, 07:30
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
There is a full write up on adding cameras to all BMW, Mini, Rover and Rolls Royce DVD's over on the PocketGPSWorld website.

I've got a Civic though which I'm guessing you could probably adopt a similar strategy once you know where the POI's are hidden on the DVD.

It would mean you would need to burn a new DVD each time you got an updated camera database.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 19:52 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
There is a full write up on adding cameras to all BMW, Mini, Rover and Rolls Royce DVD's over on the PocketGPSWorld website.

I've got a Civic though which I'm guessing you could probably adopt a similar strategy once you know where the POI's are hidden on the DVD.

It would mean you would need to burn a new DVD each time you got an updated camera database.
any way to get speed cameras on to the dvd.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 29th December 2008, 19:54
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNCAN View Post
any way to get speed cameras on to the dvd.
The Honda one?

No.

Not as far as we know yet at least.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 07:14
Administrator

With 'Safety Cameras' now the norm and with it being perfectly legal to own a device to warn you where they are I'm surprised Alpine haven't allowed this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 09:40
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
The problem is that to add cameras to the disc yourself would require copying the disc, which I don't think Alpine would want to promote.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 30th December 2008, 10:21
Administrator

True, but Im sure with a bit of ingenuity they could easily get round this.

Maybe a second data only disc that we could update and copy, could even be a CDR instead of a DVDR for the amount of data it would need.

Or even a USB stick.

As per the first post though, BMW don't seem to have any issues.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page