Parking Duff Reversing Sensors - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:08 Thread Starter

Duff Reversing Sensors

Hi

Anyone else got dodgy reversing sensors? They only work on very rare occasions and packed up completely yesterday, ie not even a bleep when reverse was selected. I'll have to get them looked at when it goes in the get the rear shocks done next Wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonman View Post
Hi

Anyone else got dodgy reversing sensors? They only work on very rare occasions and packed up completely yesterday, ie not even a bleep when reverse was selected. I'll have to get them looked at when it goes in the get the rear shocks done next Wednesday.

Not quite a Civic, but my wife had reversing sensors fitted to her X-trail when we bought it last year. We paid for what we thought were the Nissan sensors, but it turns out that the dealer went to a local supplier who fitted their own make (bit naughty me thinks).

This came to light just recently when we had a problem with them, and found they were not the OEM type - Got sorted in the end, but it may be worth asking the question of your dealer. Especially, when we know that kits can be had for next to no-money these days - Quick install and bigger profit for a greedy dealer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the suggestion, but the car's an ex Honda management car, so you'd guess the parts would be genuine.

How do you find the X Trail by the way? We looked at one, but were put off by its poor condition. Looked like it'd had a hard life.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:51

Quote:
Hi

My sensors were faulty from day one. Replaced no problem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:54 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I did wonder if mine ever really worked correctly. I seemed to get very close to some cars/fences/bollards etc without the beeps sounding.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:56
Cad
estranged

I notice that the sensors are a bit slow in starting up, so if I reverse a little too fast I can be very close indeed before the beeps cut in.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 12:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'll remember that; thanks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 13:05

Definitely get them checked out and replaced if necessary. We paid enough for them !!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 13:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Too true! Honda bits do seem a tad pricey... £145 (fitted) for reversing sensors on a Subaru Impreza STi UK, £215 on a Saab 9-5 Estate and £390 on a Honda Civic! And they don't work...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 18:55

Quote:

How do you find the X Trail by the way? We looked at one, but were put off by its poor condition. Looked like it'd had a hard life.
We bought the X'y because my Wife needed something a little more comfortable, it needed to be automatic, and also swallow all the stuff we might throw at it - Dogs, Bikes , Dump runs etc

Because we wanted Auto, the only choice was the 2.5 petrol. Have to say the MPG is not too bad at all, she gets 30m mpg plus, and that is with daily commutes into Milton Keynes, and all the round abouts.

In answer to your question, we think it is Fantastic. She says that she would not swap back to a 'normal' car. It handles very well, but can also give you the 4x4 for 'lightish' off roading. The system works on the 2 front wheels driving and the rears kicking in if needed, very good from the lights on a wet day, surprises a few car drivers - It can also be placed into 4x4 mode electronically, which was nice last Winter for the few days of snow that we had.

We did try a CRV, but sorry Honda not really a patch on the X-trail, only car that I have ever felt travel sick in . I am sure the new CRV version will be a big step up.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 22:23
ads

There does seem to be a bit of a problem with the japanese car makers rear sensors.

I had a similar problem with my oem nissan 350z sensors. Sometimes the sensors would work when you selected reverse and other times they wouldn't. I've just gotten used to it now as it seems to malfunction very rarely.

However, I have heard other people have similar problems with their honda's, nissan's, toyota's etc.

My advice would be to get some aftermarket sensors that are much cheaper and have someone else fit them. Seems like oem sensors are a bit of a rip off these days anyway!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 22:52
Cad
estranged

Sounds like good advice.

Naturally I'd paid for my official Honda ones before I knew about the third party offerings!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page