Other Open windows with key - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12th April 2008, 11:44 Thread Starter

Open windows with key

Hi everybody

Almost every car in the category Honda Civic, VW Golf, BMW 1, Audi a3 etc. Has the function to open the windows (electric) with the remote key by keep pushing on the "open door" button.

On the VW golf IV there was a combination of pushing the right buttons to open the windows.

Does anyone know if our Honda has that function??

Greetz. Jampa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12th April 2008, 12:25
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
No it does not.

There are some aftermarket alarms that could help you do that.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 14th April 2008, 23:31

That's fairly sad, considering the future-concept of this car
Just like the function to close open windows on locking the car up. Even if it's not done automatically to avoid injuries to passengers reaching suddenly out (children could do that), it would be nice doing this by longer pressing or presing a combination of buttons on the remote... Even the approx. 8 year old Opel (Vauxhall) Astra of my uncle has that...
What I'm wondering, there should be no problem to program this in. But there needs to be someone skilled to do that

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 15th April 2008, 11:34

Car: 2017 SR CVT
I had the windows on my last car (a Ford) put on the courtesy power circuit. This meant they always worked when the courtesy light was on even when the key was not in the ignition. While all electric windows worked when any door was open they also would continue working for the 20 seconds after the door was shut and the courtesy light remained on. This enabled any passenger to open and shut windows when for instance the driver had taken his keys out when filling up with petrol. They just opened a door for a second and the windows immediately could be wound up or down. It is not nice being a passenger in a stationery car and not being able to open the windows.

I thought my Civic was similar but I found Japanese logic is back to front. The windows work without a key in the ignition but as soon as the driver opens his door all windows stop working and phone calls are terminated.

Does anyone know how to bypass the 'open door terminate' command so that windows and phone keep working for the same time as if the drivers door had not been opened?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 15th April 2008, 11:50

Phone

my phone still works with the doors open and ignition key removed.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 16th April 2008, 13:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes, its sad..
Our civic is unique, but I really miss some functions. Like the automatic door lock at 15 km/h, this window function, the ungly old skool key (for a futuristic car!) and for example open the backdoor with key.

I love Honda and they are always one of the first on the market with new technology, but this thing a really do miss on my car!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 16th April 2008, 13:27
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Three BMW's and a Honda on the drive and none of them do it although you can put the roof down on the M with the open door button and put the windows and roof up with the lock button key. My Mini didn't put the windows down either, neither could you put the windows up or close the sunroof by pressing the key only, had to put it into the door, turn it and hold it until it did this.

What is the point anyway of putting your windows down when your not in the car? Is it an invite for birds of the flying type or for a thief to halp themselves to stuff without smashing the window?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 16th April 2008, 13:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

A friend of mine has the Mini cooper S and his windows open while keep pressing on the open button..

It's only extra luxury
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 16th April 2008, 14:15
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampa View Post
A friend of mine has the Mini cooper S and his windows open while keep pressing on the open button..

It's only extra luxury
Mines never did that, but then it was one of the first ones off the line.

But Actually when you hold the 'open' button the boot lid pops open. It also does that on my Mates 55 plate Mini, so is this new to the New New Mini lol!

Last edited by angie4m; 16th April 2008 at 18:11.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
Mines never did that, but then it was one of the first ones off the line.

But Actually when you hold the 'open' button the boot lid pops open. It also does that on my Mates 55 plate Mini, so is this new to the New New Mini lol!
Both my July 04 Cooper S and my wifes 05 Cooper have this feature.
Press and hold unlock, (when the car is locked) and the windows roll down!!
Think the dealer may be able to activate/de-activate it for you. (you can't close them this way though)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 14:49
TYPE R GT (R-15016)

It's very poor consdering !!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 22:33
Supporter

and the lock doors when driving away would be excellent. i know some of the 06 model civics did it but the 08 Type S i have on the drive does not such a small feature would be greatly welcomed
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 22:38

Well you've only got to press one button to lock the doors, lazy bones!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 22:49
Jayne here too!!

Car: 2010 Type R GT
My Clios both had the automatic door locking system, u could actually sed the speed you wanted them to lock at too!!

Jayne x
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 23:01
MY09 Milano CTR Driver

Car: MY09 Milano Red CTR
Can't understand why you would want to put the windows down with the key, however I have heard you can not put them up with the key which annoys me, as even a Corsa I had 3 years ago could!
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 12:38

Why do you want the doors to lock above 15 km/h any way? surely you want them locked at low speed when someone might try and get in your car to nick something and you want them unlocked at higher speeds when you might have a crash and need the emergency services to get to you in a hurry.

Personally I would rather have something nicked when stopped at lights than be left dying inside a wrecked car because nobody could get in to help me, so I'm glad this feature isn't there.

I also can't see the point of the auto window open feature or the auto boot open, it's one thing to accidentally press the unlock button and leave the car unlocked, but to accidentally open the windows and/or boot leaving it open to the elements and making it attractive to thieves is a bit stupid if you ask me.

Technology for technologies sake is rarely a good thing.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 12:44
Supporter

My Alfa 147 had this remote window opening thing (of course you couldn't do anything useful like close them remotely). I used it once in five years, to prove it worked. Maybe I'm missing something, but why is the ability to open the windows from outside the car so desirable?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 14:30

Car: 2017 SR CVT
It is desirable because a passenger holding the key for example can wind up or down the windows.

I had this in the US and often when I was filling up with petrol my wife (who had her own key) would close the window when 'undesirables' came to close and open it when she was to hot.

The current civic allows no control over the windows unless the key is in the ignition. If I leave it in the ignition it means the aircon fan and everything else is working off the battery and as Honda batteries are regularly going flat that's not a good idea.

As soon as I open the driver's door all power to the windows shuts off. It's stupid beyond belief.

On my previous car (Ford) power to the windows stayed on as long as the interior light was on after opening and shutting a door. This meant my passenger only had to quickly open and shut the door and the windows would work for the next 10 seconds. Likewise getting out the car and finding a window still open allowed it to be closed without having to put the key back in the ignition.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 15:00
Supporter

Yes, useful I guess.

Having previously come from an Alfa which also cut power to the windows when the door was opened and only allowed you to wind the windows down remotely, but not up, I haven't been spoilt and my expectations were already suitably low
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 16:58

If you're sat in a petrol station and a passenger gets hot, why can't they just open the door a couple of inches and then they can shut it if these so called undesirables approach you? Although, I have to say I have never been approached by 'undesirables' when sat as a passenger in a petrol station, maybe I go to the wrong petrol stations.

You don't need the key to unlock the petrol filler cap so why not just leave the key in the ignition if you really want passengers to be able to open a window and breath in all the fresh petrol fumes? Just turn the fan off if you're that worried about the battery going flat.

Personally I'm glad that my car turns everything off when I get out and doesn't open windows or boots automatically, at least I know it's going to be how I left it when I come back and I don't have to worry about whether I have pressed the right buttons the right number of times to make sure it's all secure.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page