Parking Electromagnetic Parking Sensor - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th April 2008, 10:42 Thread Starter

Electromagnetic Parking Sensor

Hi Guys,

I'm new here so bear with me.

I am going to order my New Civic in the next few days but feel that the 399 Honda want for parking sensors is a little steep.

I have found a company called Proxel who make an electromagnectic parking sensors that fits on the inside of the rear bumper and requires now holes to be dilled into the bumper. Apparently they have been used for a while by elite car companies.

Does anyone know if these are any good?
Also, does anyone know how to remove the rear bumper as i;ve heard they are a pig to get off?

Thank you
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th April 2008, 13:38
Diesel Demon

I just bought an electomagnetic sensor for my lady's Cooper S. I'll let you know when I've fitted it as to how good it is. Looks a doddle to fit too, a lot less bother than fitting the normal type of sensor.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th April 2008, 13:39
Diesel Demon

Also Lee, do a search on parking sensors, there's ton's of info, tips & pictures regarding removal of the bumper.

)

Damian

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th April 2008, 14:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cool, thank you.
Looking forward to seeing what you think of them as the review says they are better than the ultra sonic ones.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th April 2008, 14:07
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladdl View Post
...have been used for a while by elite car companies...
Do you know which ones? At least the German "elite" seems to be using the "normal" sensors and/or cameras

)edit: googled for it, the "elite car companies" = Fiat
does not make the technology bad though... anyway, some info other
than from the manufacturer himself can be found here
Intelligent Transportation Systems-Intersection Collision Avoidance

Last edited by civicfan; 25th April 2008 at 14:13.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 7th December 2009, 11:32

Hello,

Have any of you seen the new electromagnetic parking sensors?

No drilling, no holes - has a unique invisible design, so no one would ever know that you had them fitted.

The parking sensors create an electromagnetic field around your bumper, which protects the whole of the bumper, unlike ultrasonic sensors, which emits a cone shap detection range, which does not cover the whole of the bumper. The electromagnetic sensors can be placed all the way round your bumper, so can help you prevent damaging your alloys whilst parking.

I found a seller, selling these fairly cheap and has had very good feedback.

myworld.ebay.co.uk/ebuyer43
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 1st March 2010, 14:55

Send a message via Skype™ to Mobileinstall
Hi

I'm an installer for the Parking Dynamics sensors.

There is a great deal of argument regarding which type of sensors are best;

Ultrasonic (visible type with heads)
or
Elecromagnetic (invisible type with strip fitted behind the bumper)

The quick answer is neither is best but here are some pointers to influence your buying decision.

Ultrasonic sensors require the bumper to be drilled.
If there is rain on the sensor heads they may not work properly
If the car is any other colour than black, the sensors will need to be colour matched to the car. If that isn't done with the correct primer/paint at the correct temperature the paint will chip off after the first few jet-washes and look rank.
Be very careful what make sensors you get, Steelmate and Laserline are good, there are 101 chinese makes that aren't.
I do still fit steelmates to vans with black bumpers, but on cars now I fit the Parking Dynamics sensors.

Electromagnetic sensors require that the bumper be removed to be fitted.
If you try and do it without taking off the bumper and cleaning it really thoroughly then the strip will peel off after a bit and then be intermittent. I clean the inside of the bumper shell with alcohol spray and then use a special sealing tape and plastic sealant spray after fitting the sensor strip.
To get them to work properly lots of things need to be taken into account, the height of the sensor, the thickness of the bumper the position of the crash-bar. If you have never fitted them before, you're likely to get one of these factors wrong and the sensors will give false warnings.
The buzzer on the parking dynamics kit is a bit too quiet to be fitted in the rear of the car and need to be fitted in the front to be effective.

So in conclusion

Your best option is to get the Parking Dynamics sensors fitted to your car by a professional
Its not the cheapest option, but if you were cheap you'd be driving a Kia

If you're in the Northwest, I'd be delighted to offer my services.
Reverse Parking Sensors

Cheers......... Rick
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 1st May 2011, 17:01

thanks Mobileinstall for useful tips
is there any specific brand u will recommend?
i am seriouslt interested for my accord 2009
thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2011, 22:55

I have also been looking at getting a set of electromagnetic parking sensors for my wife's Jazz but have read that whenever it rains it gives false warnings as the water droplets sets off the alarm earlier.

Has anyone else fitted an electromagnetic kit to a Jazz?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2011, 23:11
無限 Unlimited

Car: 59 Mugenised CTR
I bought a parking dynamics kit, tried it, didn't like it. So I fitted the traditional ones which work better in my opinion.

Both types are susceptible to rain interference but traditional ones are more reliable in my experience.

All the expensive Mercs, BMW's use traditional sensors so I think that tells us something.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2011, 08:58
Strong in me The Force is

Car: 2.2 NHB & 1.8 DBP TypeS
I tried the electromagnetic sensor on my civic, and it didn't work well. When you test the sensor "hanging "free in the air" it works very good, but when mounted on the bumper it only detected an obstacle at about 15 cm/6", which is way to close off course.
I tried several mounting places and hights on the bumber, they all gave about the same result.
I do believe that they can work on some cars, but the specific rear end of our cars is apparently not suited for this kind of sensor/antenna. To much metal, to much electrical circuits around,... There's lots of things that can interfere. I would not recommend them, unless this technology has improved drastically over the last 2 years.
Thanks to Koen from:
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2011, 09:18
w00
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 EX, NHB
If anyone is interested I'm selling a set of Cisbo sensors over here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/items-s...bits-bobs.html
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2011, 11:42
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
You can get "Honda-alike" sensors fitted, for less than half of the OEM price - the required holes are already marked out on the inside of the rear bumper - you'd just need to paint the sensor heads, if you wish ...

If you are not 'handy' or can't be bothered, buy and paint yourself, then have an auto-electrician fit them ...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2011, 11:49
無限 Unlimited

Car: 59 Mugenised CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen View Post
I do believe that they can work on some cars, but the specific rear end of our cars is apparently not suited for this kind of sensor/antenna. To much metal, to much electrical circuits around,... There's lots of things that can interfere. I would not recommend them, unless this technology has improved drastically over the last 2 years.
+1

I don't believe the technology is reliable enough really, a nice idea and tempting as it looks neater at the rear but sadly its a no for the Civ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
You can get "Honda-alike" sensors fitted, for less than half of the OEM price - the required holes are already marked out on the inside of the rear bumper - you'd just need to paint the sensor heads, if you wish ...

If you are not 'handy' or can't be bothered, buy and paint yourself, then have an auto-electrician fit them ...
+1

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page