Satnav Are you happy with the built in sat nav? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2008, 22:09 Thread Starter

Question Are you happy with the built in sat nav?

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']One feature that made me go for a civic with sat nav was the ability to use the voice command button and say “nearest fast food” or “nearest pub” (as demonstrated on the TV show Fifth Gear) and have the navigation system work out the best rout for you. I was horrified when I was in an unfamiliar part of Leeds and used this feature for the first time. The navigation system tried to route me to France for a McDonalds. The dam thing gets it wrong every time you ask for a nearest anything. Grrrrr![/font]

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Has anyone else had this problem? is this system really fit for purpose? any ideas?[/font]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2008, 22:20
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
The system has done you a favour by keeping you away from McD

The 'Points of Interest' (POI) database can be a bit wayward at times, but it is something that is very difficult to keep up to date because of the DVD format and built in nature of the system. You can't just download small updates into the system like on TomToms and the like.

The latest version on the Honda DVD 3.23 does have some McD shown in this country apparently, and has many other updates to the POI database.
Gray52 did have the new disks for sale a little while ago, I don't know if he still has them
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2008, 22:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

LOL True...... The McDonalds was an example that sticks out - i was hungry . The dvd version i have is 3.22 i find it hard to believe that the closest McDonalds was in france.............

so.... how do we go about updating the poi database?- maybe adding some of our own?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 06:29
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
You have to get to know it's little quirks.

"Display Restaurants" may have given better results.

'Display nearest pub' has always been comical
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 10:04
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien_ginty View Post
LOL True...... The McDonalds was an example that sticks out - i was hungry . The dvd version i have is 3.22 i find it hard to believe that the closest McDonalds was in france.............

so.... how do we go about updating the poi database?- maybe adding some of our own?
I thought that the McD situation had been sorted out on the 3.22 and 3.23 discs, but obviously Honda want to save us from rubbish food that makes us fat bas**rds

How to add our own updates the POI database has been baffling the best brains on the forum. If you know anybody who is a whizz at coding with older versions of Windows Mobile, bring them along, we need all the help we can get
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 10:19
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
In remote areas the POIs can be limited I have found.

Other than that, I am very happy with my sat nav.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 14:12
pcr

Generally it works fine, the control is good and I like the fact it is integrated.
However, considering it's price, I am disappointed with :-

The voice commands are a joke.
The POI are a bigger joke, and also inaccurate.
The five different routing methods don't work on my early version.
The map colours are not ideal for nighttime use.
The display is sometimes hard to view in sunlight.
The Audio screen truncates titles unnecessarily.
I am not aware of a free method to update the applications software.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 14:47
Supporter

Car: 2007 1.8 EX Galaxy grey
There are 2 problems with it. Firstly, the sunlight shining onto the screen makes it totally unviewable. Secondly, the POI database is pathetic. Many the other half has said "Let's go to ??? for lunch!", while out & about . "Where's that? Nevermind, I'll look for it in the satnav!". & guess what, the POI database insists the nearest place to eat is 15 miles away at least & refuses to admit the existence of where I'm looking for. Seriously lacking when compared to TomToms, Garmins, etc...
But, on the whole I'm happy with the sat nav. The way the directions are represented are very good. You just need to know the address of where you're going.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 19:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

To be honest, Honda are selling this as a feature of the sat nav - personally i think it is not fit for purpose. As a minimum Honda should issue us with a replacement disk with a reasonable POI database. what do you think?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 19:45
Administrator

I think Honda/Alpine should allow us to install third party POI's.

As said above, if TT and the like can do it.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2008, 19:50
pcr

I think we have paid for it so it should be useable. Ask it "nearest garage" in this area, and the first four it gives you are now converted to dwellings. Not good if you are low on petrol.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 4th May 2008, 00:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

do we think Honda would supply us with new disks if enough of us was to complain about this?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 4th May 2008, 00:21
Supporter

i think it depends on what you say, certain things like "go home, find hospital, and nearest pub" all work fine. As for the phone i think it is great 99% of the time it gets it right.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 4th May 2008, 08:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

lol tried "nearest pub" i have one over the road. The car wanted to take me to north wales...... the only one that works well for me is the home command...........
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 4th May 2008, 09:19
Supporter

I have used mine a few times to find addresses and every time it has taken me right to the door. Not necessarily the best route as I realized I could have saved a mile, or two, by cutting through a 'B' road, BUT; it has always got me there, be-it in the middle of Birmingham or Hinckley or the outskirts of Rayleigh or Daventry or the King Arthur Hotel in the centre of the Gower Peninsular or the Sir Isaac Walton Hotel in the Derbyshire Dales (both recommended for a visit - beautiful areas).

Route guidance and en-route display is clear, easy to follow and understand directions

I think that makes it excellent and it looks so good as an integral part of my car.

Now as far as the POI's are concerned I must agree that even the latest version is lacking somewhat as it shows my nearest McDonalds as being 10 miles away in Hinckley, when it's actually 1 mile away here in Rugby (and has been for probably 10 years or more!).

NB: Not that I would ever use a McD; Burger King possibly, McD never.

So, as a navigation aid, aesthetic look and display I rate it excellent, for some POI's I rate it mediocre.

PS: I do like the fact that you can select screen background colours individually for day and night driving and that the contrast and brightness can be preset as well for day and night AND this also applies to the air-con controls and in-car entertainment.

Last edited by allan40alt; 4th May 2008 at 09:28.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 4th May 2008, 09:54
Administrator

My suggestion............

On the next model SatNav they supply a USB port.

By use of a laptop we could connect to the SatNav WinCE base and drop our POI's in ASC / CSV or whatever format they decide into a folder which is picked up and the POI's displayed on the map.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11th May 2008, 08:32
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Used a Tom Tom a bit this past week.
Not sure which model, it was a rental, but it was quite a small one.

Admitadly, I have much more experience using the Civic sat-nav...but I am more happy than ever with my Civic satnav now...

1. Having to remove the TomTom all the time and carry it with me

2. Prefer the big dial on the dash compared to leaning forward punching the touch sensitive screen

3. Screen is bigger on the Civic

4. POIs were not great on the Tom Tom either, have not driven them in the same area so cannot make a REAL comparison however.

5. I could not find a way of turning off the auto-zoom

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11th May 2008, 09:51
Administrator

I agree

No 4 though can be sorted though because you can add POI's quite easily with a TT
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11th May 2008, 14:54

I also saw the fifth gear "find nearest pub" review before I bought the car and wonder if I was miss-sold. Mind you, I certainly can't cry "not fit for purpose" anymore given I bought my ex1.8 new 18months ago.

Doesn't stop me getting annoyed that its (the POI) not upgradeable though. From reading the posts here, I thank God I wasn't taken it to waste £300 on a some new disks from Honda that apaprently still have a useless POI.

As a side-note, I've seen one or two posts from folk wanting to reverse-engineer the device so we can add our own POI. I am a full time developer and do have Wince dev experience so anyone also with the skill and hopefully with the time *** get in touch to compare notes...
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 13th May 2008, 18:11
Supporter

Does anyone know where the full list of voice commands are for the satnav and car features.. i think there was one a Wikipost somewhere ???

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page