Alarm Cat 1 Alarms - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:02 Thread Starter

Cat 1 Alarms

Hi Can anybody reccomend a non standard alarm there are so many on the market I am not sure which one to choose budget up to £500. Been looking at clifford, Viper, Hornet or Toad. Also has anybody got one of those remote engine starters,if so is it any good??????

Any advice will be much appreciated

Cheers
Loz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:13
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Is this for something other than your Civic? As it comes with a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm system.

One of the guys with a CTR has the bluejack fitted to his car.

Last edited by angie4m; 16th May 2008 at 18:20.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi thanks for the reply No it is for my 08 civic type S which only has a perimieter alarm according to the manual! so i am just looking to upgrade to something decent and possibly reduce the insurance costs.

Cheers
Loz

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:32
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie4m View Post
Is this for something other than your Civic? As it comes with a Thatcham Cat 1 Alarm system.

One of the guys with a CTR has the bluejack fitted to his car.

blackjax*
mate has it on his car after i told him about it
very good bit of kit
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi

Who makes this BlackJax

Cheers
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:47
You're or your..........

clifford
its not an alarm mate
its an anti jacking system

basically you get a keypad in your car which you have to input a code into EVERYTIME you open the door. when the code is not inputted the car is brought to a halt and the alarm goes off - the car becomes undriveable till you put the code back in

e.g if someone taps your window at the lights with a gun (god forbid) then you just step out the car and after he has driven off the car (after a certain distance) will stop and sound your alarm
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Cheers for the info i will check it out on the net! So many devices to choose from!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:51
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Sounds like a great system NS.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:54
You're or your..........

yea DR
i did think about getting it because of the fear of someone taking my car from home - but then what if:
someone breaks into the house - you give them the keys - they drive off and the car comes to a stop and they realise you have blackjax - do you have enough time to make yourself safe before they come back and shoot you for the blackjax code
i think the system would be better if the car became undriveable after say 5 minutes or something
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:55
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEMSTAR View Post
yea DR
i did think about getting it because of the fear of someone taking my car from home - but then what if:
someone breaks into the house - you give them the keys - they drive off and the car comes to a stop and they realise you have blackjax - do you have enough time to make yourself safe before they come back and shoot you for the blackjax code
i think the system would be better if the car became undriveable after say 5 minutes or something

I'd give you enough time to go and get a spade from the garden shed to greet them with!!!!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 18:59
You're or your..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
I'd give you enough time to go and get a spade from the garden shed to greet them with!!!!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 16th May 2008, 19:12
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey,

I used to have a Clifford Concept 60 on a previous Pug 306 S16 and it was great. It to had BlackJax and was a handy thing to have, except when you forgot about it

Basically the system, as mentioned above allows you to just step out the car and let the carjacker get in & drive off.

The system them looks for a brake input (it's wired into the brake light switch) before it starts to activate the BlackJax and if the code has not been keyed into the alarm via the valet switch the system then starts counting down.
In this time the brake lights flash, to warn motorists behind the car will stop soon and the valet light inside the car will flash to signal a response like inputting the valet code. If no code is input then the ignition supply is cut by the alarms relays, the alarm goes off, the windows roll up (if total closure is fitted) and thief panics and legs it.

Legit driver gets in, inputs code and alarm stops sounding and away you go after him in your VTEC

It's not an instantanious trigger, it does wait a while to put a safe distance between you and your car.

Personally I'd suggest a Clifford, as there is so much you can do with one and their prices have come down in recent years.
Some have had problems with them, but as with any alarm a lot of the issues come down to poor installation. Choose a good installer and your away.
At the time I had mine I had good friends in the trade who gave me the installation instructions which were a big help and I fitted it to the S16 myself, after ripping it out of the 1.4 Pug previous.

Must have add-on is the 2 stage perimeter system, "Warning! Alarm will sound if you dont back away!" heard that in your travels? It was most probably a Clifford, first warning of 2 before alarm sounds if someone is lingering around the outside of your car for too long.

Ian
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 12:04
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Or just get tracker fitted so that the car can either be brought to halt without anyone knowing how or so that the car can be recovered once stolen. Cost depending of course. Also, some insurance companies offer discounts with this too....
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 17th May 2008, 14:39
You're or your..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
Or just get tracker fitted so that the car can either be brought to halt without anyone knowing how or so that the car can be recovered once stolen. Cost depending of course. Also, some insurance companies offer discounts with this too....
trackers are easily removed by crims these days ...
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 18th May 2008, 16:11
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEMSTAR View Post
trackers are easily removed by crims these days ...
Agree with Neemstar they can be removed by thiefs.

I had tracker on my last car and it eventually made a difference to the premium but only with some companies. When I looked at having it fitted to the CTR it made a difference to the premium of £4 less! So wasn't worth the money for me.

There has been topics about cars being stolen with keys etc. Tracker can only give a rough idea of where the car is but not where it is excatly. Also after some wee scumbag has done God knows what to it, would you really want it back???

On the other hand the aint jacking systems are good but some criminals have caught onto this too and in some instances will take the driver of the car with them in order to make sure that there is no anti hijack device on it, if there is they then make them disarm it and hopefully do you no harm.

If someone wants to steal your car badly enough then they will do it and they usually don't care by what means and who gets hurt!
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 19th May 2008, 19:33
Supporter

I don't think that normal car alarms scare the usual little type of little scrote as they are in and out of the car in a flash having nicked whatever they want, leaving the car alarm wailing as they are around the next corner before anyone notices.

I had a mate who used to have a nice sports car (can't remember if it was a lotus or a scooby) and he used to take the spark plug leads out of the car if he left it anywhere for any amount of time. Doesn't stop them, but causes a number of problems!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 08:43

No insurance company will give you a discount for an additional alarm system. The Honda comes with a CAT1 system. CAT1 is just a CAT2 immobilisor with the addition of a perimeter alarm. Don't waste your money.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 10:00
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjackson View Post
No insurance company will give you a discount for an additional alarm system. The Honda comes with a CAT1 system. CAT1 is just a CAT2 immobilisor with the addition of a perimeter alarm. Don't waste your money.
I agree BUT the Tracker is worth it.
It might not get a reduction in premium (This is not the primary reason for having it)
BUT chances are youll get your car back if it is stolen
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 15:17

I wouldn't want it back if it was stolen
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 20th May 2008, 16:27
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjackson View Post
I wouldn't want it back if it was stolen
Unbelievable!!
Oh well.....Your choice

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page