Satnav Satnav.......lost confidence. - Civinfo
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 20:47 Thread Starter
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Satnav.......lost confidence.

On Monday night I went to fetch my 14 year old daughter and her friend from a teenagers disco about 20 miles from our house. I put in the post code (ME2 2SS) the satnav started to calculate the route but ended up with a message 'Route has not been completed. Please try again from a different location'. The place she was at was even listed under POI's but it still came up with the same message. I redid the postcode and POI search several times during the journey but always got the same message. I ended up half an hour late to pick up 2 frozen teenagers at 11.30 at night after having to ask directions at a petrol station!!

How can a satnav that can show me how to get to Berlin not be able to direct me to a valid postcode virtually on my doorstep?

For a laugh I did the same postcode search on the £50 satnav I keep in the van and it put me right on the spot within seconds.

I have now lost confidence in the Civic satnav so I will have to take a back up with me when just in case it lets me down again.
oldmanchris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 20:48
FWH
Administrator
 
FWH's Avatar
 
Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Join Date: 3rd June 2007
Location: Where Polar Bears roam the streets SE
Posts: 22,623
Thanks: 558
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
iTrader: (1)
If you put the street address in does it work?



FWH is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 20:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Surely as it was listed as a POI all the details needed should be stored?
oldmanchris is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 20:54
FWH
Administrator
 
FWH's Avatar
 
Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Join Date: 3rd June 2007
Location: Where Polar Bears roam the streets SE
Posts: 22,623
Thanks: 558
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanchris View Post
Surely as it was listed as a POI all the details needed should be stored?
Unless this particular POI is missing some bit of information that makes it not work.



FWH is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 20:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
No point in listing it as POI then!!
oldmanchris is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 21:00
You're or your..........
 
NEEMSTAR's Avatar
 
Car: 630i
Join Date: 7th October 2007
Location: :noitacoL ENGLAND
Posts: 2,782
Thanks: 76
Thanked 119 Times in 117 Posts
iTrader: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanchris View Post
No point in listing it as POI then!!
might be an error in the info held for that POI
NEEMSTAR is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 27th May 2008, 21:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEMSTAR View Post
might be an error in the info held for that POI
I take it I can't edit it?
oldmanchris is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 06:48
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
If I remember later I'll put the same postcode in and see what happens on my v3.23 disk...................hang on I'll go and do it now...................nope "unnamed road Rochester" and it can't handle it !

Just had a look in MapPoint and it looks like Roman Way ? Even Mappoint doesn't name the East/West road after the roundabout which I assume is still Roman way ?

That may be the issue ?

Last edited by Kremmen; 28th May 2008 at 06:53.
Kremmen is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 07:19
Supporter
 
Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Join Date: 1st July 2007
Location: GB GB
Posts: 15,644
Thanks: 1,166
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
iTrader: (8)
If you google the post code it gives this:
ME2 2SS - Google Search
robbo51 is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 10:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Maybe my expectations of the system are to high. I (wrongly) thought that if the system could not match the postcode the letters/numbers were greyed out but if it did match it would give you a route albeit to the area if no street could be found. Thats what my other two satnavs do. By not even taking you to the area (of a correctly entered postcode) is no help.

The other moan I have is the lack of detail in built up areas. I found it very useful having the names of side roads listed as I came up to them (as I do with my cheapo portable satnav), it made up for the lag in the signal. You have a big screen with very little map detail, which I think is a waste. Having black lines and random road names listed seems pointless.

Anyway, next time I will obviously have to take a spare satnav and print the multimap directions.
oldmanchris is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 11:42
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Chariot way - not even Mappoint had that road named.

Mappoint uses NavTeq, and so does Honda.
Kremmen is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 14:11
Administrator
 
Pottsy's Avatar
 
Car: Jag XF 3.0
Join Date: 10th April 2006
Location: Leics ENGLAND
Posts: 12,496
Thanks: 127
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
For some reason the satnav can't make it round the last roundabout - it's as if the roundabout has a break in it. I'll report it.

rabouterror.jpg
Pottsy is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 28th May 2008, 14:49
 
Join Date: 23rd June 2007
Posts: 215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Re: lack of detail - i assume you realise that you can zoom in/out using the jog wheel while on the normal map screen? If you zoom right in it generally adds the side street names etc...
minisweeper is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 07:08
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Not always - my road is not named when I zoom right in to 50yds but it knows what the road is because it's listed.
Kremmen is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 09:10
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
 
illegalhunter's Avatar
 
Car: DS3
Join Date: 10th May 2007
Location: On the mat choking people SCOTLAND
Posts: 4,720
Thanks: 9
Thanked 137 Times in 122 Posts
iTrader: (2)
By the sounds of it iam glad i didnt wait the 22 weeks for sat nav
illegalhunter is offline  
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 21:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
For some reason the satnav can't make it round the last roundabout - it's as if the roundabout has a break in it. I'll report it.

Attachment 10947
Thanks Pottsy.
oldmanchris is offline  
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 29th May 2008, 22:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
oldmanchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16th February 2008
Location: Bexleyheath ENGLAND
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minisweeper View Post
Re: lack of detail - i assume you realise that you can zoom in/out using the jog wheel while on the normal map screen? If you zoom right in it generally adds the side street names etc...
Even zoomed in on max it still only shows a few roads and they are often several streets away from your route and sometimes they are not even main roads. If you can't see these roads when you're driving and its not part of the route I personally can't see any point in listing them.

If they can be used as reference points on your route then thats fair enough.
oldmanchris is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th June 2008, 01:23
Supporter
 
Join Date: 14th February 2008
Location: Devon, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 258
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Fully agree with your comments. I have used TomTom for about 4 years now, probably covering 100k miles.

I now use the satnav that came with the Civic and it is definitely not as good. It lacks the detail as you say, even on max zoom. The routing does not fill me with confidence - only this week it took me right through the middle of Bristol and over the Clifton toll bridge. TomTom would have done something much more sensible - so would google.

The other day J1 of the M5 was closed. I needed to get onto the M5 at this junction. On TomTom, you would tell it to avoid the next xx yards or miles and it would take care of the rest. No such option on the Honda one (I tried the detour option).

It was also useful on TomTom to be able to key in a postcode or address and cross reference with google, or someones 'how to find us' map from their website before you set off. You can't do this in the Honda due to the lack of detail.

Very rarely in 4 years did TomTom let me down. The Civic satnav has let me down often in the 3 months I have used it and I too am losing confidence. The only reason I am persisting with it is because its built in.

I am using v 3.23 also.
thunt is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th June 2008, 01:40
Supporter
 
psykik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28th April 2007
Posts: 487
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
iTrader: (0)
ive got tomtom on my phone (rarely used), it makes for a good backup to the honda sat nav, and just for fun i sometimes set the same route to compare, leave it on bluetooth and to hear the bleeps for every camera!
psykik is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th June 2008, 06:51
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
The only reason I am persisting with it is because its built in.
Exactly

It's definately not as good but it saves on the major construction and demolition work at the start and end of each journey.
Kremmen is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MPG Lost 100 miles!! apemonkeyman Bugs, faults and irritations (8G) 20 7th March 2008 14:44
Lost Dog beepee Any non Civic chat here please! 1 3rd February 2008 12:25
Alloys Damage e mail lost ??? Jack The Lad. Wheels, Tyres, Suspension and Brakes (8G) 0 13th November 2007 21:16
lost photo Bigian General Discussion (8G) 5 10th August 2006 23:36

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome