Battery How long can i expect a battery to last? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th November 2014, 07:58 Thread Starter

How long can i expect a battery to last?

Hi

I have an 8th gen 1.8 civic.

Its a 2009 model and it can easily be in the garage for two weeks between drives. Often when i go to it the battery is either low or dead. Looking at the batt it doesnt look particularly big and im wondering if its just a lower capacity one to save weight or could it be just worn out? I guess it would help if i didnt lock activate the immobiliser? Is it possible to lock the door without the alarm being activated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th November 2014, 08:13

Do you mean what's the overall life of a battery, or how long can one expect it to keep its charge between drives - or both?

When there've been questions before about overall life, I've suggested that five years is reasonable (my battery was almost knackered at that time), though others have been a bit more optimistic, reckoning six or seven years might be expected.

When it comes to limited use, one thing to do is turn the radio off, and the winking alarm light must consume a little power. Cold weather means that it takes more power to start the car; at this time of year I don't use the car much, but I do try to do a drive of at least 15 minutes once every ten days or so. In fact in the past ten days all I've done is move the car in and out of the garage twice and down to the supermarket (all of a mile) twice, so I'm conscious of the need to take it out for a bit longer fairly soon.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th November 2014, 09:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlburian View Post
Do you mean what's the overall life of a battery, or how long can one expect it to keep its charge between drives - or both?

When there've been questions before about overall life, I've suggested that five years is reasonable (my battery was almost knackered at that time), though others have been a bit more optimistic, reckoning six or seven years might be expected.

When it comes to limited use, one thing to do is turn the radio off, and the winking alarm light must consume a little power. Cold weather means that it takes more power to start the car; at this time of year I don't use the car much, but I do try to do a drive of at least 15 minutes once every ten days or so. In fact in the past ten days all I've done is move the car in and out of the garage twice and down to the supermarket (all of a mile) twice, so I'm conscious of the need to take it out for a bit longer fairly soon.
Well both really as i guess one is a function of the other. Is it reasonable for me to expect my car to start after being sat there for two weeks? If yours can do that but mine cant then maybe it is new battery time? Im just conscious of the fatc that my old VW Golf was only on its second battery in close on twenty years when i stopped using it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th November 2014, 11:10
Supporter

Car: 2016 5door passion red civic
HI batteries can last up to nine years, my car is an 8th .series ex 7 years old and i have just changed the battery. My previous car a Renault was inits tenth year when i sold it, still running on the original battery. Points to watch, 1 no load current should be 250 mili amps. 2 .after about 15 minutes current will fall to 20 milli amps [sleeping current] normal batteries will handle this kind of loading without further attention. Other things to check, a charged battery will show 12.6 volts approx alternator charging volts should be in the order of 14.4volts

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page