Other Power to rear cigarette lighter - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 17th June 2008, 14:05 Thread Starter
Supporter

Power to rear cigarette lighter

I thought I would use the lighter socket in the boot today to charge my phone as I didn't want to leave my phone on display or a cable leading into any of the front compartments. Apparently neither front nor rear lighter socket is powered unless the keys are in the ignition, even less desirable than leaving my phone on display!!!

I can maybe see why this would be wired like this, so you can't accidentally flatten your battery by constantly draining the power but I'd like to have the choice of attaching something when the ignition is off. Is my car a one-off or is this by design?

Please point me in the direction of where to start to modify the wiring so I can at least permanently power the boot lighter socket. Any help appreciated, I have searched the forums to the best of my ability but come up with nothing that matches this so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 17th June 2008, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarthetiger View Post
I thought I would use the lighter socket in the boot today to charge my phone as I didn't want to leave my phone on display or a cable leading into any of the front compartments. Apparently neither front nor rear lighter socket is powered unless the keys are in the ignition, even less desirable than leaving my phone on display!!!

I can maybe see why this would be wired like this, so you can't accidentally flatten your battery by constantly draining the power but I'd like to have the choice of attaching something when the ignition is off. Is my car a one-off or is this by design?

Please point me in the direction of where to start to modify the wiring so I can at least permanently power the boot lighter socket. Any help appreciated, I have searched the forums to the best of my ability but come up with nothing that matches this so far.
Yeah this is only ignition fed on all models, the only way to have a permanant feed to either lighter socket is to supply a feed directly from the battery or other permanant feed although this should be fused and the existing connector removed and insulated, if your not exactly sure how to do this have it done by a qualified auto electrician.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 07:08
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
It is a pain sometimes.

I've got one of those ciggy socket tyre inflators and I'm always wary when using it because you have to have the keys in the ignition and turned on whilst you are out of the car.

Plus with the drivers door open for the lead it's constantly beeping at me

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 07:49
Supporter

Car: 2008 1.8i SP LHD, Milano Red
Send a message via Skype™ to hurricane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
It is a pain sometimes.

I've got one of those ciggy socket tyre inflators and I'm always wary when using it because you have to have the keys in the ignition and turned on whilst you are out of the car.

Plus with the drivers door open for the lead it's constantly beeping at me
Turn on ignition, open window, turn off, leave keys in, shut door, no problem.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 08:18

Its that way on all cars, come on its not even a minor inconvenience !! Charge your phone elswhere, do you not have much to do ?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 13:13 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

My previous Peugeot 306 wasn't like this. Granted there will only be a couple of occasions a year when I would want to run a device without the keys in the car but I know I will want to (coolbox in the boot when camping, etc)

I will make some time this weekend to have a look into it, and see how easy a job it will be. I can't see the circuit being very complicated (wires + fuse) but finding the appropriate connections and how to run the extra wires from the front to the back will be more involved I am sure. Maybe I will utilise the existing wiring and just re-route it at the front. Hmmm...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 16:09

Would it be a matter of locating a permanant live rather than the ignition controlled live that the socket outlet is connected too now. ????
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 19th June 2008, 09:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Yep, thats exactly what I will look for. Preferably a fused connection although I would fit an inline fuse if there isn't already a fused permanent live I can hook up to.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 19th June 2008, 10:38

Car: 2017 SR CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarthetiger View Post
I bought a Honda freeze box that plugs into the boot socket. The first time I parked the car everything stopped working and the contents were ruined. I also ordered a mains adapter but after waiting a month Honda then told me they had stopped making the mains lead even though it is in the list of available options.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 19th June 2008, 17:13
Supporter

Car: 2009 TYPE S GT.
I wanted to put a solar battery charger in mine when i went on holiday for 2 weeks, Came back to a flat battery.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 19th June 2008, 22:39
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to britsbest
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
Its that way on all cars, come on its not even a minor inconvenience !! Charge your phone elswhere, do you not have much to do ?
No, my Mrs' Golf has permanently live ciggy lighter in the boot
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 19th June 2008, 23:16 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsbest View Post
And so will mine after I replace the lighter ignition relay with a short, permanently live fused rear lighter socket with no need to touch the wires at all. Don't know why I didn't think of this to start with.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 20th June 2008, 06:23

Is the rear socket not connected to something else to power? Radio? Have not got my manual to check.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 20th June 2008, 08:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosoma View Post
Is the rear socket not connected to something else to power? Radio? Have not got my manual to check.
No, I checked the manual and the cigarette lighter relay controls only the ligher socket and nothing else. There should be no other devices that will be continuously power by this mod other than the sockets. Still, I carry jump leads just in case. I will double and triple check before I make the mod.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 20th June 2008, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by britsbest View Post
Damn those Germans !!

Last edited by JonL; 20th June 2008 at 08:19. Reason: spelling
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2008, 11:57 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Right, this should be simple, n'est pas? I have looked in my manual and have a wiring diagram but what I can't find for the life of me is where the relay is actually located?

The fuse box in in the drivers footwell does not have any relays in there, and the one under the bonnet only has two, neither of which are indicated in the manual as to what they do (p478 and 479). I must be missing something simple as there are clearly more than two relays in the wiring system.

The circuit diagram hints at the relay being 'with cigarette lighter', does this mean it is physically located by the lighter socket?
Attached Images
File Type: png FuseWiring.png (22.2 KB, 260 views)
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st July 2008, 19:00

An idea. Get 2 spare fuses, modify them so power from one will go to another (so its still fused of course, but so as to not allow power from rear accessory to be on as well), Put one in the rear accessory fuse bit and the another in one of the unused perminent power fuse holes. This would work right?

Just got me a RC plane, wanna charge it without keys in
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008, 07:51 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I think I understand your idea (on about the third time of reading and thinking about the circuit). This would effectively power the relay on continuously keeping power to the socket all the time. Am I understanding this right?

I'm still leaning towards the solution of replacing the relay, so there is no constant drain on the battery, albeit a very small one. All I have to do is remove the relay for reinstallation if the car goes in for warranty repair, and short the contacts that the relay closes when it is powered on. Just need to find the damn thing.

It will be a call to Honda service department today or some serious digging inside my rocket ship this weekend as hopefully I get around to installing my Connects2 box then. Have been changing jobs so this has gone on the back burner for a week or so. How hard can it be to locate one relay!!!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008, 11:04
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
all three of the BM's I've had/got had live ciggy lighters, a pain at points (if an airfreshener drains the bat'), but handy at others like chargin my phone while sitting with the car off.

Tom
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2008, 16:38
OMG8THGENEX

Car: 2007 1.8 Civic EX
The girlfriends dad has a new Ford Focus... that has a permanently live connection to the socket in the boot too.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page