Alarm Civic key advice - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 17th June 2008, 19:29 Thread Starter

Civic key advice

I own a 2006 civic dm shape and would like another key for it.
If i buy a used cut key and remove the internals and then put the internals into a new uncut key will i be able to get the key registered to my car.

I suppose my question is can the chip be written over and over again or can it be written only once.

I understand that the key needs to be coded to the ecu but not sure if i had to buy the new internals with a chip that had not been written before.

Please can you advise thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 13:16
Naughty but nice

Car: Z4 sDrive35is
See the Who wants a filp key thread. Put that in the search and the guys there will tell you what you can and cannot do.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 17:20
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
I've just looked on ebay at a number of used civic keys for sale. In one of the listings the seller states,

' Dealers generally do not have the equipment to reprogram used fobs, they are often only kitted out with the equipment and knowlege to program your vehicle ECU to the latest new item supplied for your vehicle model. '

If I was you I would contact your dealer and explain what you want to do and see if they can help.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
Dealers generally do not have the equipment to reprogram used fobs, they are often only kitted out with the equipment and knowlege to program your vehicle ECU to the latest new item supplied for your vehicle model. '
That's utter rubbish. What does he think happens when a customer looses one key/fob and has the other remaining? turn around to the customer and say that he/she has to order two replacements??? You can re-program the transmitters as many times as you like.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 18:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdcroft_Honda View Post
That's utter rubbish. What does he think happens when a customer looses one key/fob and has the other remaining? turn around to the customer and say that he/she has to order two replacements??? You can re-program the transmitters as many times as you like.

I suspect he is covering himself it the eventuality that it doesn't work at all, like a lot of ebay sellers, they don't want to know once they have got your money.

Thanks for clearing that one up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 22:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdcroft_Honda View Post
Thanks for the reply,still 50/50 to go ahead with it as you get some conflicting replies.
Holdcroft Honda i have been told by someone in the pub that the dealers use something called HDS ? which can re-write or add keys to the system can you advise on this as i did not know if this would only work with a unused chip etc.
If by what you are saying is YES go ahead it will work no problem then i will go for it but thought i would ask again first "sorry".
Thanks again for the reply..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 18th June 2008, 23:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipbr21054 View Post
Thanks for the reply,still 50/50 to go ahead with it as you get some conflicting replies.
Holdcroft Honda i have been told by someone in the pub that the dealers use something called HDS ? which can re-write or add keys to the system can you advise on this as i did not know if this would only work with a unused chip etc.
If by what you are saying is YES go ahead it will work no problem then i will go for it but thought i would ask again first "sorry".
Thanks again for the reply..
I think you can go ahead and buy one now.

Holdcroft Honda are a main dealer and have said you can re-program a key as many times as you like. Good enough for me.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page