Speedo Replacing type S display (speedo, rev display and clock) with type r ones to complete - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 24th December 2014, 12:26 Thread Starter
Honda Man Steve

Car: 2007 FN1 Red (FN2 Clone)
Replacing type S display (speedo, rev display and clock) with type r ones easy job ?

I know many people have done this, is a simple plug n plug job ?

Lewis is panicking regarding the difference in rev range, will this show on the type r display or will it just work like normal

I'll miss the Eco lights... Will the vtec light thing still work with the 1.8 ivtec engine

Any advice on how to do this would be good too

Merry Xmas everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Steverae; 24th December 2014 at 15:29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 5th January 2015, 16:05
Supporter

Car: 2.2cdti ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverae View Post
I know many people have done this, is a simple plug n plug job ?

Lewis is panicking regarding the difference in rev range, will this show on the type r display or will it just work like normal

I'll miss the Eco lights... Will the vtec light thing still work with the 1.8 ivtec engine

Any advice on how to do this would be good too

Merry Xmas everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
couple of issues i think you would find 1, being the clocks are encoded to the vehicle so you would need a dash repair guy to read code off your clocks in the vehicle now them remove codes off the donor vehicle then right your codes on to new clocks. also the mileage chip is all part of this as well. this would need to be removed rewritten and soldered back on to circuit board,, unfortunately this then wakes the clocks look a bit dodgy to someone buying car at later date. i have a phone number of a guy who would know more if you want it
Thanks to mike1967 from:
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 21:18 Thread Starter
Honda Man Steve
** Thread starter **

Well took the car to Honda today for it's annual service and asked them nicely to fit my new clocks, which they did for a small charge - i was excited to pick up the car and when i got there the service desk said that the clocks had been replaced but the top two (speedo and clock) were still the same.....

Puzzled i walked over to the car and started her up, the Rev counter had been swapped with the red one from the type r and reprogrammed correctly but the top two were still showing the blue background, rev and eco lights etc. I know these have been chagned as the turn indicators are slightly larger then they were so i got back home, contacted my supplier and sent him some pics i found on the net

The Type R speedo has the TypeR logo on the right hand side and is part number HR0343502, the clock also has the part number of HR0343502 for the type R one. The standard petrol is HR343501 and the 2.2 CDTi is HR0343601 - interesting, i did not know this until know.

My supplier is going to source me the correct parts and i'll fit them myself (well Lewis will next week lol)

Heres a pic

Thanks for the heads up about the reprogramming of the rev counter though.

At least she's been valated now (by honda) haha

Heres a pic of the correct model speedo

Notice you can just see the type R logo outline on the right of the roundish display.

Last edited by Steverae; 8th January 2015 at 21:31.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 21:30
Deserter to Lexus

Car: Lexus IS250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverae View Post
Well took the car to Honda today for it's annual service and asked them nicely to fit my new clocks, which they did for a small charge - i was excited to pick up the car and when i got there the service desk said that the clocks had been replaced but the top two (speedo and clock) were still the same.....

Puzzled i walked over to the car and started her up, the Rev counter had been swapped with the red one from the type r and reprogrammed correctly but the top two were still showing the blue background, rev and eco lights etc. I know these have been chagned as the turn indicators are slightly larger then they were so i got back home, contacted my supplier and sent him some pics i found on the net

The Type R speedo has the TypeR logo on the right hand side and is part number HR0343502, the clock also has the part number of HR0343502 for the type R one. The standard petrol is HR343501 and the 2.2 CDTi is HR0343601 - interesting, i did not know this until know.

My supplier is going to source me the correct parts and i'll fit them myself (well Lewis will next week lol)

Thanks for the heads up about the reprogramming of the rev counter though.

At least she's been valated now (by honda) haha
Sorry just trying to get my head around that, you have managed to put a red type R rev counter/ display in a none type R car and Honda have managed to reprogram the rev counter to display the correct revs and your millage display is correct and everything about the rev counter works ok?

That's quite impressive! Hehe don't think it would work on the diesel the rev counter would only go about a quarter of the way round before it would have run out of puff
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 21:43
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Car: 2008 2.2 CTS GT
Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,260 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Syx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie175 View Post
That's quite impressive! Hehe don't think it would work on the diesel the rev counter would only go about a quarter of the way round before it would have run out of puff
This is correct, as I've done the same. I gave Steverae some advice on fitting them, but I too learned that Honda could reprogram the mileage! Clever stuff that.

The speedo works in the 2.2; plug and play - in fact everything does.
It's just that you only get to the usual rev count before having to change... it actually works on the numbers rather than on the "amount" of gauge to sweep.

Edit: I guess that the reason for the different part number for the speedo on the 2.2 compared to the 1.8 will be due to the rev blobs.

Last edited by Syx; 8th January 2015 at 21:46.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 21:50
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx View Post
This is correct, as I've done the same. I gave Steverae some advice on fitting them, but I too learned that Honda could reprogram the mileage! Clever stuff that.

The speedo works in the 2.2; plug and play - in fact everything does.
It's just that you only get to the usual rev count before having to change... it actually works on the numbers rather than on the "amount" of gauge to sweep.

Edit: I guess that the reason for the different part number for the speedo on the 2.2 compared to the 1.8 will be due to the rev blobs.
Wow that's actually got me thinking!

Only bit I don't understand is "it actually works on the numbers rather than on the "amount" of gauge to sweep"????

Am I right in thinking when you put type R dials in a diesel you mean when you are doing 2000 revs for example it reads right?

That's what I was thinking, but would seem a little strange on the diesel as most of the time I'm changing before 3k max so the rev counter is barely moving hehe

Any chance you could upload a picture of yours in and running Syx? Have you done all of them? I'm guessing not the Speedo unless your Av is old?
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 21:53
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Wow that's actually got me thinking!

Only bit I don't understand is "it actually works on the numbers rather than on the "amount" of gauge to sweep"????

Am I right in thinking when you put type R dials in a diesel you mean when you are doing 2000 revs for example it reads right?

Exactly; if you are doing 2000 revs then the Type R gauge will read 2000. However that means you'll barely use any of the gauge due to the fact that it reads all the way to 9!

That's what I was thinking, but would seem a little strange on the diesel as most of the time I'm changing before 3k max so the rev counter is barely moving hehe

Any chance you could upload a picture of yours in and running Syx? Have you done all of them? I'm guessing not the Speedo unless your Av is old?
Answer in bold above.

I switched mine out within 30 minutes of installing and ended up selling the tacho to someone here and the speedo unit to a guy in the USA!
I had done both the speedo and the tacho, but after a short test drive I decided I couldn't deal with the fact that I was only using the first half of the gauge and went back to the originals.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 21:58
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
Answer in bold above.

I switched mine out within 30 minutes of installing and ended up selling the tacho to someone here and the speedo unit to a guy in the USA!
I had done both the speedo and the tacho, but after a short test drive I decided I couldn't deal with the fact that I was only using the first half of the gauge and went back to the originals.
Yeah think it would annoy me also, I have previously taken dials apart on Peugeots an soldered tiny smd's to change the colour, but I'm guessing its not that simple on the civic?

That way I could keep the correct dials for the 2.2 but get the nice red glow
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:01
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Yeah think it would annoy me also, I have previously taken dials apart on Peugeots an soldered tiny smd's to change the colour, but I'm guessing its not that simple on the civic?

That way I could keep the correct dials for the 2.2 but get the nice red glow
No, it's not unfortunately. I did try however the colour for the gauge is actually provided by the semi-transparent overlay with the numbers on; it's a piece of plastic with blue colouring. The "light" behind it is just white.
I couldn't get a decent enough finish on a replacement (despite removing the plastic from the inside of the CTR clock, scanning it, modifying the numbers etc etc) to make it appear red without it being obviously non-OEM.
Which was a shame!
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:02
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Basically, unless someone can come up with an exact copy of the interior of the display for the 2.2 but in red so we can swap it... then it's not going to happen.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:04
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
No, it's not unfortunately. I did try however the colour for the gauge is actually provided by the semi-transparent overlay with the numbers on; it's a piece of plastic with blue colouring. The "light" behind it is just white.
I couldn't get a decent enough finish on a replacement (despite removing the plastic from the inside of the CTR clock, scanning it, modifying the numbers etc etc) to make it appear red without it being obviously non-OEM.
Which was a shame!
hehe reminds me of sticking quality street wrappers in dials to change the colour!

Never mind, I do like the blue, I'm just not keen on the standard type s seats and fitted type R ones, but they look out of place with everything else.

Ideally I would love to have them retrimmed to match the type s interior, but it costs a fortune. I also do t like having the type R logo on the seat so have a seat cover over it 24/7

Just thought matching the dials may be an easier way of getting it all to match a bit better
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:05
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
Basically, unless someone can come up with an exact copy of the interior of the display for the 2.2 but in red so we can swap it... then it's not going to happen.
What is it made of? I have something once with red tint film stuff, took 2 sheets to stop it looking pink
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:08
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Ideally I would love to have them retrimmed to match the type s interior, but it costs a fortune. I also do t like having the type R logo on the seat so have a seat cover over it 24/7
Exactly the same. In the end I took the view that if I wanted a Type R I should have bought one, and to embrace and love my 2.2 for what she is

Quote:
What is it made of? I have something once with red tint film stuff, took 2 sheets to stop it looking pink
It's plastic, probably of a similar thickness to the packaging plastics that you have to cut open on some small products. The backing is white and the front is a gloss finish with the colour (black/blue/white) on. The problem is that if you just put red filter behind then it looks crap because the numbers are red but the blue is some weird murky colour due to the combination of filtering. As it's all printed onto a single piece too, it's not like you can remove the blue bit only either.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:34
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
Exactly the same. In the end I took the view that if I wanted a Type R I should have bought one, and to embrace and love my 2.2 for what she is

It's plastic, probably of a similar thickness to the packaging plastics that you have to cut open on some small products. The backing is white and the front is a gloss finish with the colour (black/blue/white) on. The problem is that if you just put red filter behind then it looks crap because the numbers are red but the blue is some weird murky colour due to the combination of filtering. As it's all printed onto a single piece too, it's not like you can remove the blue bit only either.
Ah right yeah I get you, so theres no way of replacing the blue filtration and replacing it with red, bit of a shame.

I know what you are saying mate but the type R seat is amazing compared to the s, don't think I could go backwards now
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:36
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Ah right yeah I get you, so theres no way of replacing the blue filtration and replacing it with red, bit of a shame.

I know what you are saying mate but the type R seat is amazing compared to the s, don't think I could go backwards now
Agree on the seat, every time I sit in an R I love it.

But... I couldn't live with the fact that it had Type R on it or having to cover it!
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:47
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
Agree on the seat, every time I sit in an R I love it.

But... I couldn't live with the fact that it had Type R on it or having to cover it!
Yeah its a shame having a decent job of trimming is so expensive.

Think its like 400 a seat to have a proper job done. Would absolutely make the type s interior though!
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 22:48
Syx
#MrGrumpy

Eco display
Quote:
Yeah its a shame having a decent job of trimming is so expensive.

Think its like 400 a seat to have a proper job done. Would absolutely make the type s interior though!
400 ouch! But yeah, that would look AWESOME
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 8th January 2015, 23:32
Deserter to Lexus

Quote:
400 ouch! But yeah, that would look AWESOME
I have a feeling its one of those jobs ill end up just doing, once I have had an idea and want something I can never stop myself doing it..... my bank balance is in trouble
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 00:24 Thread Starter
Honda Man Steve
** Thread starter **

Hi Guys, if you look at my mod thread you'll see what i've done to my little type S over the year i've had her.

It's quite a tranaformation, and yes, like Sam said, if i'd wanted a type R i should have bought a type R but i've had a Type R (Ep3) and yeah, it was great but it cost a furtune to run.... that was like 5 years ago when petrol wasn't as dear as it is now.

The main reason i haven't traded in my S for a real R is this..... My dad bought her for me and it was the last thing he bought me before he passed away in february last year, so i swore i'd never get rid of her until she fell to bits (which is hard as she's a honda).

I always wanted a TypeR again but my dad always said they were too expensive to run, so i started modding my S, first came the spoiler, then the badges, then i got some door cards (as she's red and i though it would match better) it was at that point that i saw TonyGTB's typeS/R and the lightbulb went on.....

several hundred pounds later, i have an almost identical replica of a stock type R, just the engine is different (once i replace these final clocks) and i love it, i never go about 4k revs lol as im in my 40's now but have all the looks and none of the expense, even my insurance with all the mods listed is still dirt cheap - again cause i'm older lol

it's people like Sam and my mate Lewis and jack who inspire me to do these crazy things to the car, i'm keeping her for a long long time so why not have her the way i want her......
Thanks to Steverae from:
Syx
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 9th January 2015, 07:55
GUR
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR
Hi Steverae,

Can you give me some more info about this ?
In a week or two I'll make the same thing but due to an engine swap (K20Z4 in a 5 door car) and I have to put the Type R rev display but I would like to keep the blue / white speedo and clock displays. Those two will work fine ? The Speedo will display the right / accurate speed ?
Also, as I noticed, the central red bulb from Type R rev display has two screws in the back. Can this bulb be replaced by the stock white one from 1.8l ?

Thanks.

P.S. by the way, you are on the last step : put a K20Z4 engine and"voila"... a real Type R ).

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page