Satnav Sat Nav Switch Off - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2008, 15:24 Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 10th July 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Sat Nav Switch Off

Is there a way to shut down the Sat Nav without switching off the engine?
billbruen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2008, 15:34
OMG8THGENEX
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 1.8 Civic EX
Join Date: 2nd January 2008
Location: Leeds, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 840
Thanks: 48
Thanked 55 Times in 41 Posts
iTrader: (5)
not technically.... but you can either not press the enter button to accept the disclaimer for the sat nav when you start the engine (all other functions i.e. radio, heater will still be displayed)... or if sat nav is already active whilst driving you can press the brightness button (the small oval button on the left hand side of the main sat nav operation buttons) 3 times to cut the screen out to blackness. Hope this helps.
Andy_K is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2008, 15:35
 
Join Date: 11th March 2008
Posts: 122
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader: (0)
It will shut down if to don't acknowledge the nag screen at startup
Otherwise, I don't think you can.
jj69 is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2008, 15:38
Lord of JAE.....
 
Unknownsoldier's Avatar
 
Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Join Date: 22nd September 2007
Location: Kent, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 5,395
Thanks: 397
Thanked 177 Times in 158 Posts
iTrader: (0)
You can remove the disc that will stop it running I think. I often would like to turn it off to save power.

Tom
Unknownsoldier is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th July 2008, 01:16 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 10th July 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Thanks for the comments folks.....regretfully none of them suits the bill.

I want the option to switch off (completely) after using it for a while.

Cutting to black with the 'brightness' button does not turn off.....you still get voice commands.....and I'd rather not try to remove the disk (myself) as I'm driving along!!!
billbruen is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th July 2008, 01:54
 
Join Date: 25th February 2007
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Switch the voice commands off?
druidh is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th July 2008, 06:30
Supporter
 
Bob H's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th October 2007
Location: Jersey GB
Posts: 873
Thanks: 32
Thanked 85 Times in 72 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruen View Post
Thanks for the comments folks.....regretfully none of them suits the bill.

I want the option to switch off (completely) after using it for a while.

Cutting to black with the 'brightness' button does not turn off.....you still get voice commands.....and I'd rather not try to remove the disk (myself) as I'm driving along!!!
billbruen, it maybe easier if we know your reasons for turning off the SatNav? You mention you "sill get voice commands" which suggests to me that you have set up a route to navigate and want to stop the SatNav part way along the route? If the case then just stop the guidance and the voice prompts will stop...

Hope this helps?

Cheers,


Bob...

Last edited by Bob H; 4th July 2008 at 06:41.
Bob H is offline  
Thanks to Bob H from:
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 4th July 2008, 07:08
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Agree - seems strange ?

On the steering wheel press the Return button then Stop Guidance is the top option.
Kremmen is offline  
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 01:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 10th July 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
druidh, I meant switch off guidance voice prompts....not 'commands'.

The Krem of Locking Wheelnuts have led me into the Light....I didn't know there was a 'stop guidance' option on the steering wheel....I assumed, if it was going to be anywhere, it would be on one of the satnav menus, but couldn't find anything, hence the question.

I guess it's all in the Manual somewhere, but please don't encourage me to RTFM.....my three sons have trained me to believe that manual readers are sad people....and that if a piece of kit demands you read the manual, it's unintuitive (badly designed).

So why do I want to do this? I very often, broadly, know my way from A to B, but need a little help getting through a strange city maybe. Once I've regained my bearings, I might like to switch guidance off.

Or, on a journey, I may change my mind and divert off a planned route to a new destination: having to put up with constantly being 'redirected' ia a PIA.

Thanks people.
billbruen is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 07:02
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Same here sometimes, you only need guidance for a short period.

I also had initial difficulty finding the Stop Guidance as it's not user friendly to get to. You can get to it via the dashboard control wheel but I can't remember it's location.
Kremmen is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 08:06
Supporter
 
Join Date: 6th August 2006
Location: England ENGLAND
Posts: 2,763
Thanks: 44
Thanked 65 Times in 56 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Same here sometimes, you only need guidance for a short period.

I also had initial difficulty finding the Stop Guidance as it's not user friendly to get to. You can get to it via the dashboard control wheel but I can't remember it's location.
To get to the Stop Guidance simply press the 'back' button (that funny bent arrow) - whilst in guidance mode. 'Stop Guidance' is the top selection, which is automatically selected, and press 'enter'
allan40alt is offline  
Thanks to allan40alt from:
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 08:31
Supporter
 
Bob H's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9th October 2007
Location: Jersey GB
Posts: 873
Thanks: 32
Thanked 85 Times in 72 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruen View Post
druidh, I meant switch off guidance voice prompts....not 'commands'.

The Krem of Locking Wheelnuts have led me into the Light....I didn't know there was a 'stop guidance' option on the steering wheel....I assumed, if it was going to be anywhere, it would be on one of the satnav menus, but couldn't find anything, hence the question.

I guess it's all in the Manual somewhere, but please don't encourage me to RTFM.....my three sons have trained me to believe that manual readers are sad people....and that if a piece of kit demands you read the manual, it's unintuitive (badly designed).

So why do I want to do this? I very often, broadly, know my way from A to B, but need a little help getting through a strange city maybe. Once I've regained my bearings, I might like to switch guidance off.

Or, on a journey, I may change my mind and divert off a planned route to a new destination: having to put up with constantly being 'redirected' ia a PIA.

Thanks people.

OK good stuff, all now sorted then...

Cheers,


Bob...
Bob H is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 08:55
 
Join Date: 4th July 2006
Posts: 336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruen View Post
Thanks for the comments folks.....regretfully none of them suits the bill.

I want the option to switch off (completely) after using it for a while.

Cutting to black with the 'brightness' button does not turn off.....you still get voice commands.....and I'd rather not try to remove the disk (myself) as I'm driving along!!!
Just press the voice button on the sterring wheel and say 'Stop Guidance'.
You will be asked if you are sure, and answer Yes.
It will now stop giving directions.

You can also do the same by pressing the cancel voice command button (the one next to the one you use to activate the voice command, these are the buttons towards the rear of the wheel, NOT the phone buttons). When you press the cancel voice command, it will bring up the Stop Guidance message on the screen and ask if you want to stop guideance, select the option to stop guidance and when asked if you are sure, select Yes.
Parky is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 08:57
 
Join Date: 4th July 2006
Posts: 336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruen View Post
druidh, I meant switch off guidance voice prompts....not 'commands'.

The Krem of Locking Wheelnuts have led me into the Light....I didn't know there was a 'stop guidance' option on the steering wheel....I assumed, if it was going to be anywhere, it would be on one of the satnav menus, but couldn't find anything, hence the question.

I guess it's all in the Manual somewhere, but please don't encourage me to RTFM.....my three sons have trained me to believe that manual readers are sad people....and that if a piece of kit demands you read the manual, it's unintuitive (badly designed).

So why do I want to do this? I very often, broadly, know my way from A to B, but need a little help getting through a strange city maybe. Once I've regained my bearings, I might like to switch guidance off.

Or, on a journey, I may change my mind and divert off a planned route to a new destination: having to put up with constantly being 'redirected' ia a PIA.

Thanks people.
It is very silly not to read the manual as I am sure you will find many things that the car can do that you are missing out on. Your choice to waste your money on unused features I suppose.
Parky is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 15:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 10th July 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
To get to the Stop Guidance simply press the 'back' button (that funny bent arrow) - whilst in guidance mode. 'Stop Guidance' is the top selection, which is automatically selected, and press 'enter'
allan40alt, very useful thanks....don't know how I missed it.
billbruen is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 15:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 10th July 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky View Post
Just press the voice button on the sterring wheel and say 'Stop Guidance'.
You will be asked if you are sure, and answer Yes.
It will now stop giving directions.

You can also do the same by pressing the cancel voice command button (the one next to the one you use to activate the voice command, these are the buttons towards the rear of the wheel, NOT the phone buttons). When you press the cancel voice command, it will bring up the Stop Guidance message on the screen and ask if you want to stop guideance, select the option to stop guidance and when asked if you are sure, select Yes.

I'm afraid giving voice commands in my car seldom works, so doesn't help with this problem........
billbruen is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 15:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 10th July 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky View Post
It is very silly not to read the manual as I am sure you will find many things that the car can do that you are missing out on. Your choice to waste your money on unused features I suppose.
Esoteric 'features' (which may or may not work very well), buried in a car's manual, do not form part of my buying decision points....do you really read the manual before you buy?

So, if I didn't know of these 'features' in the first place (and consequently never use them), my money cannot have been wasted.

I have dipped into the manual on occasions, looking for something specific......but never read it as a book.
billbruen is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 16:46
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky View Post
Just press the voice button on the sterring wheel and say 'Stop Guidance'.
That only works if you are in the correct menu though. You need to have pressed either the return button on the steering wheel or dash first.

'Stop Guidance' from the Map display doesn't work.
Kremmen is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 5th July 2008, 16:47
Administrator
 
Kremmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 7th January 2007
Posts: 20,944
Thanks: 857
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbruen View Post
but never read it as a book.
I did

There are so many hidden features you never know about unless you read it in some detail.
Kremmen is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer mph,kph switch t8adc Electronics (8G) 1 12th December 2007 21:06
Door pillar switch thiswilldo Wiki Article Discussion 0 12th December 2007 16:11
Interior Kph\Mph convertor switch illuminated? MickJ Lights (8G) 3 19th November 2007 22:12
Windows Isolation Switch Maldax Bugs, faults and irritations (8G) 1 6th October 2007 21:26
Computer How to switch kmh / mph mfp Electronics (8G) 5 21st December 2006 18:32

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome