Satnav Sat Nav + HFT on GTR-GT Pre Buying Advice - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 1st August 2008, 23:39 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver

Car: MY09 Milano Red CTR
Sat Nav + HFT on GTR-GT Pre Buying Advice

Evening all,

Its the Day before the test drive and potentialy ordering and I am now thinking about going for Sat Nav + HFT Option. Has anyone got this?

Just wondered how exactly does the Sat Nav work? I have read that it is Voice Recognition... does that mean everything is done without using your hands (lol)? If yes then does this work well? I am liking the ideal of saying something like "Navigate to..." then say postcode or home

Secondly regarding the HFT - it says it works with the iPhone, should I then asume that it works with the iPhone 3G? If not then that's not good as I really need it to work with one.

Thanks
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 00:40 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

I've just read this: Voice Control - Civinfo Wiki

WOW... Now I like the sound of that... I am now wanting to get the Sat Nav + HFT as that sounds really really good!?!?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 07:09
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Darren,

The satnav is good (I have 2 Honda satnavs, 2 Tomtoms and a Garmin, and I prefer the Honda system overall). Voice control is optional (you can do everything with buttons) and most people don't really use it. For me I only ever say "go home" to it.

The nice features are the HFT (essential), the great integration and the ded reckoning (which helps you turn the correct way out of a multi storey).

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 08:12
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS

Car: DS3
What is a GTR ANYWAY?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 08:16

I have the EX which has the sat nav and HFT. I also have a TomTom which I find far more reliable and accurate than the one fitted in the Honda. The Tom Tom has more POI's.

To say I am disappointed with the Honda sat nav is an understatement. I would not bother with it next time.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 08:35
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyS View Post
I have the EX which has the sat nav and HFT. I also have a TomTom which I find far more reliable and accurate than the one fitted in the Honda. The Tom Tom has more POI's.

To say I am disappointed with the Honda sat nav is an understatement. I would not bother with it next time.
The points of interest were quite poor until I got the latest version disk but as a sat nav system I simply can not fault it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 08:40

The good thing about the TomTom you can add the POI's that are important to you. I really don't know why Honda (and most of the other companies) have made it so difficult to upgrade. Well I suppose I have answered my own question. £200 or so to replace the DVD and about £34 for the latest maps on the TomTom. I know what I would rather pay.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 09:32

I found the SatNav very useful. The excellent screen, clear voice that automatically mutes the radio/CD and very easy interface are all worthwhile plus points. Traffic info also worked quite well, though its doubtful if the re-routes it came up with actually helped much as too many people have SatNavs! I found the directions and routing very adequate, but haven't compared with a TomTom etc. The points of interest were OK for tourist attractions, museums airports etc, but useless for most other things (e.g. pubs, resstaurants) - but I didn't miss that at all. It is, however expensive compared to TomTom etc and doesn't have speed camera locations.

The hands free worked well with reservations - these being that at speed the microphone picks up A LOT of background noise. At low speed etc its fine. The vice operated index/directory was slow and not always accurate, but could be made to work with a little patience.

The voice recognition for other than HFT proved a complete waste of time. Very slow, hopelessly inaccurate - and why bother as the standard controls are exceptionally well laid out. Count that as a bonus if you can get on with it, but expect to give up after the novelty has worn off!

Overall - you must decide if the extra money is worth it for the fixed SatNav and HFT - forget voice control.

If you have another car or use hire cars without SatNav, a moveable one such as a TomTom might be a better solution for you and save money too.
Thanks to 3rd Honda from:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2008, 09:38
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Satnav - I really like it. I use TomTom´s and similair in rental cars a fair bit and there is nothing like a built in system, especially one with the screen in the "right" place.

+ Built in, don´t have to keep removing it
+ Continuse tracking even when GPS signal is lost
+ Good built in controls
+ Good size screen
+ Adds to the spaceship feel of the car as the screen also has other functions like audio.

- Cannot upload POIs

As for the HFT I find it VERY good for incoming calls.
It tells me "You have an incoming call" I press a button on the steering wheel - and you have handfree.

For making calls it is not as good...
No sync with phone book in phone, you have to enter a seperate phone book into the car. Also, the voice recog does get things wrong a fair bit, for some reason mostly on the first attempt after starting the car. There is no alternative to voice recog control on the HFT.
The workaround is make the call from your handset, hang up, and say "redial". Not stictly legal in the UK I think....

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 00:44 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered the car yesterday without the satnav/HFT, however I have been sat talking to the girlfriend and she really wants it. I am only planning on keeping the car for 3 years and do not really know if I will get any of the money back I put into it. I can not really see it helping me sell the car or making the car worth more.

So to sumarise 450(ish) each year to have this function does seem like quite a bit of cash. If I am going to now have it I imagine I will need to ring the dealer tomorrow as the car probably got ordered today as it was late on thursday when I placed the order with them.

What to do, What to do!?!?!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 00:48
You're or your..........

Car: 630i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenN View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered the car yesterday without the satnav/HFT, however I have been sat talking to the girlfriend and she really wants it. I am only planning on keeping the car for 3 years and do not really know if I will get any of the money back I put into it. I can not really see it helping me sell the car or making the car worth more.

So to sumarise 450(ish) each year to have this function does seem like quite a bit of cash. If I am going to now have it I imagine I will need to ring the dealer tomorrow as the car probably got ordered today as it was late on thursday when I placed the order with them.

What to do, What to do!?!?!
don't listen too her

save the cash and mod the engine
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 00:50
FWH
Administrator

I paid for the satnav and would do the same again.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 00:53 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

2 different opinions there lol.... hmmm! Need to sleep on it then.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 00:55 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

What is the size of the screen?? Thanks...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 01:01
FWH
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenN View Post
What is the size of the screen?? Thanks...
Haven´t measured it - but certainly a bit bigger than most aftermarket satnavs.

This may give you an idea.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 9th August 2008, 01:06 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

Yeah I have that page open in another window already... have been looking at it. I currently have a Pioneer Avic X1R in the car we have now and that is a 7" (or 7.5") screen and is great to use. Its easy to follow and nice and clear, I am however wanting to not really put this in the new car as I like the look of the inbuilt CD Player due to it looking clean and tidy and you not having to worry about having a screen come out and then up, covering other buttons/heaters etc...

Plus I currently hate not being able to use the steering controls!

Choices, Choices, Choices...

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page