Satnav Will honda upgrade 3.22 to 3.23 for free? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:19 Thread Starter

Will honda upgrade 3.22 to 3.23 for free?

I picked up my new car today and it has been supplied with the flawed 3.22 sat nav discs, will Honda upgrade them to 3.23 for free? Dealer said there was nothing he could do as that was what the car was supplied with.

He told me to ring Honda directly and ask them for the upgrade, has anyone else had any success getting them upgraded free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:22
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
I don´t think they will, but it is worth a try.

Was your car pre-reg or at least in stock?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:22

Pretty poor service from the dealer, get back onto him pronto!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It was in stock, but surely if it doesn't work, ie doesn't show traffic hold-ups, surely they have to provide a fix.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:25

Sounds like the dealer just can't be bothered. Polite but firm should get results, good luck.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:31
FWH
Administrator

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
You may be able to get them to exchange the discs for discs out of a new car.

That would solve your problem and move the problem to someone else who is probably less informed.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 16th August 2008, 23:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'll see if I can get it sorted out on Monday, but it's a shame that something that only costs Honda a quid or two could potentially sour a deal.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 17th August 2008, 06:46
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Version 3.22 will not work as per the manual - you will never get the red/pink heavy traffic lines so I would fight tooth and nail about trades descriptions and all that if I had any problems.

It's not doing what it says on the tin.

Your approach should not be for an 'upgrade' but a 'fix' to a problem.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 17th August 2008, 15:28
Foglight Covers FORSALE

3.22 is faulty full stop. but if you can get a copy from the dealer of the new 3.23 and install this it will upgrade your fimware and will be fully working.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 12:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I am getting nowhere with Honda or the dealer regarding this, dealer is saying that's the disk it came with, we can't do anything about it. Spoke to honda UK and according to the head of their technical department there is nothing wrong with 3.22. I told them that the software doesn't do what it is meant to do according to the manual and thefore falls foul of the trade descriptions act, and their response was that I should seek legal advice.

I can't believe Honda are dragging their heels over this and for the cost of 2 DVD's, it's absolutely ridiculous. Might have to camp out on my dealers forecourt with a placard if they refuse to replace them, but I will get my disks.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 13:01

Yes, stick to your guns, don't let the dealers fob you off.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 13:14
Administrator

Why do Honda tarnish their reputation with responses like this ?

Disgraceful reply.

You will have no heavy traffic bars via the TMC. When I ran the 3.22's for a short while this threw me into traffic that I could have avoided if I had known about it ala 3.05 and 3.23
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 13:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Been back on the phone with my dealer over lunch and they are sticking to their guns, but the thing is I have another dealer slightly closer to me, so they have already lost all future servicing and repairs for the car.

I am really happy with every other aspect of my Civic, but after such poor service from the dealer and Honda I have very little faith in them to put things right in the future, therefore I couldn't reccomend them to anyone and they have probably lost me as a customer for any future car purchases.

They should be sending out free upgrades to anyone who has the flawed 3.22 version, it would cost them a matter of pence per customer, the customers would be happy and Honda would get some much needed kudos.

The stance they are taking at the moment is absolutely bewildering, it makes absolutely no sense to me.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
They should be sending out free upgrades to anyone who has the flawed 3.22 version, it would cost them a matter of pence per customer, the customers would be happy and Honda would get some much needed kudos.

The stance they are taking at the moment is absolutely bewildering, it makes absolutely no sense to me.
Its baffling isn't it! Such a simple solution to the problem, yet they seem unwilling to budge. Madness!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 14:59
Administrator

I presume that Honda, TrafficMaster, Alpine, NavTeq and presumably others want their cut from each DVD issued.

It may not be as simple as just dishing them out for little cost.

However, the 3.22 production run was flawed and someone should take resonsibility for the error.

With the responses you've got I would take this through to the small claims court if necessary but that's just me.

First step for me though would be to show the manual to a dealer and ask why you don't get the traffic lines as per the pictures. Obviously turn up during the morning or evening peak so you can navigate around the country to show the warning triangles but no side bars.

Then ask to do the same on a showroom model in comparison.

The bottom line here will be to be as pleasant as possible when you visit the other dealer. It makes a huge difference.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 16:02
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
No suprise to me! Just shows what a dreadfull company Honda is!! I've not been around the forum much lately, so I'm not aware of the 3.22 probelms, but seeing as a new DVD disk is only a few quid to Honda it seems stupid not to exchange it out of goodwill - oh my mistake, the is no such word in the world of Honda !!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 17:45
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
No suprise to me! Just shows what a dreadfull company Honda is!! I've not been around the forum much lately, so I'm not aware of the 3.22 probelms, but seeing as a new DVD disk is only a few quid to Honda it seems stupid not to exchange it out of goodwill - oh my mistake, the is no such word in the world of Honda !!

Oh dear, oh dear - Bog is back again with his personal vendetta against Honda!!
Have you been seeing Eddie lately??
You simply cannot speak on behalf of me and the vast majority of happy civicowners on this site or anywhere else either for that matter!
Because - I am very happy with the brand Honda and the service I get from my very understanding and serviceminded local dealer!!
Anyway - I don't think this is a Honda related issue only, actually I believe it to happen among other brands dealers too! How about VAG or Audi dealers, for instance? EVERYTHING costs extra!!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 19:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by amronno View Post
I don't think this is a Honda related issue only, actually I believe it to happen among other brands dealers too! How about VAG or Audi dealers, for instance? EVERYTHING costs extra!!
But my car is two days old and it was supplied with a faulty DVD, why should I shell out money to rectify the problem? The car should be supplied with the most up to date software, I have no qualms with paying for future upgrades, but I don't think I should be paying for past upgrades.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 18th August 2008, 19:18
Supporter

Car: 2012 1.8i Ex Navi Leather MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
But my car is two days old and it was supplied with a faulty DVD, why should I shell out money to rectify the problem? The car should be supplied with the most up to date software, I have no qualms with paying for future upgrades, but I don't think I should be paying for past upgrades.

Totally agree, of course Honda should have replaced it for free, it's silly not to! Just a piece of cake for Honda, but very happy customers as a result. Sorry, didn't take the faulty bit into account!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2008, 14:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just got back from my dealers, I went in to get them to check all the packing had been removed from under the car and they found about another 8 bits under there. If they had just missed one I wouldn't have minded so much, but to think they basically haven't done that check at all makes you wonder what other checks they haven't done at all.

But they did have a new Sat Nav disc for me which they said was being replaced under warranty by Honda UK, so for anyone else who has the incorrectly functioning 3.22 discs Honda will replace this under warranty if you make enough fuss. I did try the being pleasent approach to start with, but it took a number of phone calls and strongly worded emails for them to finally relent. I'm still going to be using a different dealer for any repairs and servicing from now on as I have no faith in the dealer which supplied my car.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page