Electrics Main relay location - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 9th February 2015, 22:04 Thread Starter

Main relay location

hi, this is my first time posting, be gentle.

my car wont restart after being driven for a short while unless its allowed to cool down for about 10-15 minutes, longer if its hotter. i've looked online and everything points to the main relay and can be fixed with a little bit of soldering or just a new part. problem is i cant locate the sodding thing.
does anyone know where it is and if so can they please show me.
ive googled my socks and all ive come up with is under the dash on the drivers side. taken the covers off but cant see it anywhere.
can someone please help, thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11th February 2015, 17:29
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 EX
You'll need to give more information before anyone is even able to attempt to help you.

Petrol or Diesel?
Age of car?
What exactly is happening when it doesn't start. i.e. doe's the starter motor sound OK.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11th February 2015, 18:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

It's a 2008 desiel cdti. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is but I can't locate it in the car.
If I drive a short distance and turn he engine off the car will start ok but fails to start after a longer journey when it's hotter.
When I turn the ignition on the check engine light, vsa warning light and airbag warning light all come on. The electric stays off for a second or two and then comes back.
I have googled the problem a lot and many people have had the same thing happen and it's the main relay. It over heats and the solder cracks over time and each time the car gets hot the connection becomes poor and the car won't start because the fuel pump is not engaging. It can be repaired with a little bit of soldering but I can't find the main relay.
Have googled it time and again but no one has a diagram of its location in an 8th generation civic. All I know is it's under the dash somewhere but I can't find it.

Last edited by braddas; 11th February 2015 at 19:02. Reason: Corrections

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddas View Post
It's a 2008 desiel cdti. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is but I can't locate it in the car.
If I drive a short distance and turn he engine off the car will start ok but fails to start after a longer journey when it's hotter.
When I turn the ignition on the check engine light, vsa warning light and airbag warning light all come on. The electric stays off for a second or two and then comes back.
I have googled the problem a lot and many people have had the same thing happen and it's the main relay. It over heats and the solder cracks over time and each time the car gets hot the connection becomes poor and the car won't start because the fuel pump is not engaging. It can be repaired with a little bit of soldering but I can't find the main relay.
Have googled it time and again but no one has a diagram of its location in an 8th generation civic. All I know is it's under the dash somewhere but I can't find it.
Lead free solder does crack over time. If it is that, I would replace the solder for lead solder. Or just use some liquid flux and reflow the connections but cover up the chips with heat foil
Thanks to ufoblue from:
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 11:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the advice. I can't find the main relay to check it though lol
That was my ordinal question, does anyone know where the main relay is and if so so they have a picture or diagram?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 13:20
Supporter

i'm not sure what you mean by the " main relay " but there is a fuse box under the bonnet which contains relays it might be worth looking there

top right hand box

relays n fuses

relay n fuses position layout ( bottom of the lid )

i might be stating the obvious and you have allready checked these but it's worth a post just in case
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 13:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I checked under the bonnet and no joy thank you for replying though.
Everything I've read says that the main relay is under the dash. I've seen pictures from older civics and it's just sitting there plain as day, almost mocking me. But in the later models it is nowhere to be found. I'll try post a picture of what I'm looking for. Thanks again though.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 13:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

This is then culprit.

It has a small circuit board inside.

Last edited by braddas; 14th February 2015 at 13:33. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 16:25
Supporter

are you sure there still using that relay ?
after a quick search it seems as if that relay is for older models and the new one looks like this

i might be completely wrong but i think this is the fuel relay for an 8th gen civic
Thanks to cosmicma from:
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 14th February 2015, 16:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicma View Post
are you sure there still using that relay ?
after a quick search it seems as if that relay is for older models and the new one looks like this

i might be completely wrong but i think this is the fuel relay for an 8th gen civic

Progress! I have googled and googled and have not seen that picture before before and if it is the part I'm looking for then that would make sense as to why I can't find the grey one anywhere in my car.
The main relay does control the fuel pump and it doesn't engange when my car is hot and won't start. I shall have a look for this little beauty under my dash.
Much appreciated.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 26th May 2016, 21:45

Car: Honda Civic Type R FN2 GT 07
Send a message via Skype™ to glenwheeler
Hi guys, I think I am having the same issue with mine? Any ideas why the images are missing above?

Looking to get mine fixed.

At the moment I have no dashboard lights at all. I've just had a brand new battery installed as well, so its not that. Have also checked fuses and all fine.

Just wondering if it is this main relay?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th July 2016, 20:26

Hi Guys,

I am having this issue as well. My Honda Civic 2.2 cdti doesn't start after a short drive. I was told by AA that it's the main relay. Any ideas where to locate this? I found a box under the bonnet. Changed the relays in there but still issue is persisting. From what I have been told, the main relay is within the cabin.

Help please..
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th July 2016, 21:53
Supporter

Car: 2011 Type S GT-T
Garage
Does this help ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main relay.jpg (66.0 KB, 118 views)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 24th August 2016, 02:04

I'm having the exact same issue as you except in the USA with a 2008 Honda Civic. Google has pointed me toward the main relay but i can't find the darn thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 6th March 2017, 20:09

Hi guys,
I had a civic 2.2 diesel
and on some of them i faced the problem that the car starts when cold and after driving a while the car will not start again unless i leave it to cool down for a while or i use the quick start spray.

After visiting honda dealer and allowing them to change everything but not what caused the issue and after reading many forums i found a post about high pressure valve that this may be exactly where the issue is.
this was very easy to replace and it fixed my worm start issue and the issue was never faced again.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 18:28

I'm having the same trouble with my 06 2.2 civic. Have replaced both relays on fuse box the glow plug relay next to the fuse box bit now I'm looking for this main relay. I've got the drivers lower dash trim down and I can't see it. Am I looking in the wrong place? None of the attachments are currently loading to see it's location
Cheers
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 18:54
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,155 Times in 3,851 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfarthing83 View Post
I'm having the same trouble with my 06 2.2 civic. Have replaced both relays on fuse box the glow plug relay next to the fuse box bit now I'm looking for this main relay. I've got the drivers lower dash trim down and I can't see it. Am I looking in the wrong place? None of the attachments are currently loading to see it's location
Cheers
Ben

See the 6th post of this thread.

There you'll see the fuse board in question is under the bonnet...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 22:48

Hi Farqui but under the bonnet is the ac and rad fan relay unfortunately. There are many relays above the interior fuse board but I haven't yet seen the one braddas has shown. I could be being blind mind you lol

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 26th June 2017, 23:04
Supporter

i think you will find the relay braddas posted is not from an 8th gen civic you would be better off reading how this guy cured the warm starting issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Rusu View Post
Hi guys,
I had a civic 2.2 diesel
and on some of them i faced the problem that the car starts when cold and after driving a while the car will not start again unless i leave it to cool down for a while or i use the quick start spray.

After visiting honda dealer and allowing them to change everything but not what caused the issue and after reading many forums i found a post about high pressure valve that this may be exactly where the issue is.
this was very easy to replace and it fixed my worm start issue and the issue was never faced again.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th June 2017, 07:39

Honda advised me to go Bosch diesel centre, which luckily was around the corner. He tested my valve and said it was ok (pulled the return line off and cranked it over. If diesel were to have pumped out it would of been stuck open and preventing start up)
He then told me to check injector leak off as this to is a common issue but there all ok. (Pull the return lines off and unplug the injectors then crank it ideally with a leak off tool connected to control the mess. Look for the injector that flows out)
So I'm thinking it's back to a relay inside the cabin

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page