Buy Garmin Nuvi 760 (760T) Reviews

OR

TomTom GO 530 - 220.90
Buy TomTom GO 530T - RDS Traffic Reviews

Features I want
1) Euro Maps - Only Garmin has this
2) Bluetooth - Both have this
3) Traffic - Both have this
4) Speed Cameras - Both have, not sure which is best though?

Now even though the Garmin has the map's and is cheaper, I am liking the idea of the new TomTom IQ Route, but more importantly the Advance Lane Guidance. TomTom also has the idea of being able to put in an address by voice, however not sure how much I would use these. I would also not get the Europe Maps with TomTom but think I could get them cheap enough?

Both come in at slightly more than i want as I would like to spend sub 200 really, but if I shop around that might be possible. Both looks nice and slim which is good and seem good.

Help me decide, and please give reasons why...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2008, 10:42
radix lecti

Car: 2006 2.2 iCDTi Sport
I'd go with the Garmin (and probably will) due to my experience with their Streetpilot Range which are bloody good (500 mind, so they should be).

The Garmin units I've used have clearer maps and are often more up to date than the TomTom ones. Oh, and they will also say 'Turn left onto x Road in 100 yards' rather than 'Turn left in 100 yards' as with the TomTom. Quite handy if there are multiple turnings in close proximity, as you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

Oh, and with the Speed Cameras, if you are using it to help avoid points (aren't we all? lol) then I'd subscribe to a service where you can download updates, rather than relying on the preinstalled list.
Thanks to dave87 from:
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2008, 10:49 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

Car: MY09 Milano Red CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave87 View Post
I'd go with the Garmin (and probably will) due to my experience with their Streetpilot Range which are bloody good (500 mind, so they should be).

The Garmin units I've used have clearer maps and are often more up to date than the TomTom ones. Oh, and they will also say 'Turn left onto x Road in 100 yards' rather than 'Turn left in 100 yards' as with the TomTom. Quite handy if there are multiple turnings in close proximity, as you don't have to take your eyes off the road.

Oh, and with the Speed Cameras, if you are using it to help avoid points (aren't we all? lol) then I'd subscribe to a service where you can download updates, rather than relying on the preinstalled list.
I like the idea of "turn left onto..." as that is what my current Pioneer Avic X1R does, however that is the girlfriends so will be staying with her when I get the Type-R, hence looking into SatNavs. So yeah I like the idea of that feature.

On a motorway will it say "stay left (or bear left) onto the..." or do you just have to guess the lane, as some motorways can be confusing hence the new TomTom function.

Speed Camera's on the Garmin are 29.99 for a year and update daily, obviously this sounds good. Can you therefore just leave the satnav in when not even on a route and it will tell you camera's on the road you are on or will it only tell you if you have a route planned?

Lastly have you used the Bluetooth on it? How does it work if you have more than one phone... only one will be used at a time but is it happy to swap and change between devices? Do you need to update the phonebook (if stored on the Garmin) everytime you change phone?

Sorry for the long post...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 20th August 2008, 11:05

either will do what you want, I have a TomTom One (original) and Garmin i3 (tiny and works off batteries so I can use it on the bike). Personally I prefer the interface and routing of the TomTom but they both do the job they are supposed to.

Which ever you get sign up with Pocket GPS World - SatNavs, GPS & Speed Cameras (19 a year) and get their Speedcamera database as it seems to be the best one.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 21st August 2008, 12:16 Thread Starter
MY09 Milano CTR Driver
** Thread starter **

Car: MY09 Milano Red CTR
Yeah will sign up for a camera databse mate - thanks

Anyone else got any thoughts?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 23rd August 2008, 10:04
Supporter

Had an Alpine unit in my Chevvy Trailblazer, tried a TomTom while in holiday in Florida, tried a Garmin while on holiday in Italy. Found the TomTom interface to be much more intuitive then the Garmin, especially finding points of interests nearby, so went out and bought a TomTom 720 when we got the Civic. Still prefer my Alpine unit though.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th August 2008, 18:13
TYPE R GT (R-15016)

Tom Tom every time mate...just bought the 7 somthing one ? 730 maybe ? Had a garmin previous and it was rubbish in comparison
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th August 2008, 18:18
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Yes get the Tom Tom.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th August 2008, 18:20
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 11 View Post
Tom Tom every time mate...just bought the 7 somthing one ? 730 maybe ? Had a garmin previous and it was rubbish in comparison
I got the 730 too and it's great. Really really pleased with it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th August 2008, 18:40

Car: 2008 ISHIFT CIVIC
Before I had my civic with built in sat nav I had a Garmin 760t,route planning and guidance was great,the 760 tells you the name of the road you will be turning on to.
However,it has a weak FM transmitter if you want to hear it through you're car speakers,it gets constant interference in cities.
Bluetooth connection was great..no problems,but again if you use it to play mp3's from the SD card it suffers with interference in cities.
Hope this helps you decide..I had a TomTom one XL prior to the garmin and it was rubbish.
The traffic warnings were also good on the garmin.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th August 2008, 18:43
Administrator

Car: 2016 Ford Kuga Titanium
Thanked 1,059 Times in 761 Posts
I think in honesty it just comes down to personal preferences. YOu will get people who swear by Garmin and those TomTom.

Happy searching though
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th August 2008, 18:46
Mondeo Mann is here!!

Car: 59 Mondeo Zetec S TDCi
Go for the TomTom, the 530t is the one i've got and its superb
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 11:42
Supporter

Car: 2016 Golf GTi Performance
Garmin if you use a Mac

TomTom are not Mac compatible. Nor is their website when you delve into it. You keep coming up messages like ""Shown for demonstration only. This feature not available to Mac OS X".

Garmin are very Mac friendly and have some excellent software. I've used my daughter's TomTom and it works pretty much the same as a Garmin. It did get confused when were were going round windy country lanes and got its left and right mixed up. I recently got a Garmin and have no complaints with it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 13:39
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
TomTom are not Mac compatible. Nor is their website when you delve into it. You keep coming up messages like ""Shown for demonstration only. This feature not available to Mac OS X".

Garmin are very Mac friendly and have some excellent software. I've used my daughter's TomTom and it works pretty much the same as a Garmin. It did get confused when were were going round windy country lanes and got its left and right mixed up. I recently got a Garmin and have no complaints with it.
I've got a TomTom 720T and it works fine on my Imac and Macbook Pro
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 13:47

Car: 2008 ISHIFT CIVIC
One more huge difference between TomTom and Garmin is the brightness of the screen,I can only speak for the older TomToms' eg 720,not the new 30 range,the garmin screen can be seen even in direct sunlight unlike TomTom's,I think this is an important issue when you make you're decision.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 26th August 2008, 14:08
Supporter

Car: 2016 Golf GTi Performance
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I've got a TomTom 720T and it works fine on my Imac and Macbook Pro
You are right. When I looked not much more than a month ago, I kept running into problems accessing their site in Safari and then when I ran their demos they kept saying "This feature not implemented on Mac OS X and shown for demonstration purposes only" (whatever). Seems like they've fixed their website too. I did find a reply that only Systems after 10.4.11 are supported.

Back in 2006/7 they were chasing a company through the courts for a piece of software called TamTam which was the only way you could access the TomTom with a Mac

Good to see Mac users here. All we got to do is convince the other OS users that Mac OS X is the Civic Type R of the computing world.

Last edited by Bacchus; 26th August 2008 at 14:11.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page