Wiring question - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 28th February 2015, 09:49 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Black Civic 2009 1,8Sport
Wiring question

Hello all,

I have one question, have a dash cam with additional rear cam. The power that i am using is from the box with AUX and USB connection. But the dvr consumes little bit more power, and while i am driving sometimes it turns off, because of low battery. So i want to connect the plug to some of the fuses that are on, while the car is off? First i thought to use the power from the main cabin lights, but i think that the amp is too low....
any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2015, 13:14
Super Moderator

Car: '11 Impreza R Special
Thanked 1,011 Times in 891 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Follow my guide on hardwiring dashcam.
It will tell you how to wire it up so it starts with the car, but to make it run all the time, you just need to move a wire to another pin which is easy.
Thanks to Grayfox from:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 09:15 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
It will tell you how to wire it up so it starts with the car, but to make it run all the time, you just need to move a wire to another pin which is easy.
Thanks,

But let me explain what exactly i need. When i turn the ignition to "2" the dash cam receives power from the power source inside the box where the usb and aux connection is, and then the cam start to record automatically. When i turn the ignition to "1" the camera works another 1 min and then it shut down automatically.
So what i need is, when i start the car, i want the dash cam to receive power, and when i turn off the car, to turn off the dash cam, but to continue charging...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 10:17
Super Moderator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubisa86 View Post
Thanks,

But let me explain what exactly i need. When i turn the ignition to "2" the dash cam receives power from the power source inside the box where the usb and aux connection is, and then the cam start to record automatically. When i turn the ignition to "1" the camera works another 1 min and then it shut down automatically.
So what i need is, when i start the car, i want the dash cam to receive power, and when i turn off the car, to turn off the dash cam, but to continue charging...
The +12v igntion pin will supply power when the key is in POS II, but when you go from POS II to POS I or OFF it will record for a few seconds depends on the battery in the dashcam.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 13:07 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Quote:
The +12v igntion pin will supply power when the key is in POS II, but when you go from POS II to POS I or OFF it will record for a few seconds depends on the battery in the dashcam.
Yes, thats correct, but i wanted to let it charge while the car is off...Probably best way is to connect it to constant 12v, and then, manually shutdown the dashcam when i stop
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 21:32
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
What you ask for in post #3 is most likely impossible. Doesn't matter where the power is coming from, if the camera sees power, it will record. There is no way to tell the camera whether the car is running or not, unless the camera specifically has a sensor for this.

What is the point of charging it when the car is off? If it has a LiPo battery you are just asking for a fire.

Manually turning the camera off each time is not such a good idea, I am sure at least once you will leave it running over night, only to come out to a dead car battery.

If you really want to take all these risks then you can connect it up to the always live pin of the option connector as Grayfox has already told you, however once again I must warn you how much of a terrible idea this is.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 21:35 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5252x View Post
What you ask for in post #3 is most likely impossible. Doesn't matter where the power is coming from, if the camera sees power, it will record. There is no way to tell the camera whether the car is running or not, unless the camera specifically has a sensor for this.

What is the point of charging it when the car is off? If it has a LiPo battery you are just asking for a fire.

Manually turning the camera off each time is not such a good idea, I am sure at least once you will leave it running over night, only to come out to a dead car battery.

If you really want to take all these risks then you can connect it up to the always live pin of the option connector as Grayfox has already told you, however once again I must warn you how much of a terrible idea this is.
I know, i know that`s why i was asking... the problem that i had was the dash cam has secondary camera that records the rear side. So if the car was not driven for couple days, when i start the car... the dashcam will record couple minutes, and it will shut down, due to very low battery.
The point is that i am not driving the car every day... so i am not recharging it enough...
But thanks a lot... i will leave it as it is. Record while driving, autoshutdown when no power.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 23:00
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Which dashcam do you have?

That kind of behaviour does not sound correct. It shouldn't be turning off when connected to power, and I wouldn't have thought it would be drawing a huge amount of power.

Perhaps it could be a bad connection somewhere? Or even a poor quality cable; depending on the length there could be a high voltage drop.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 7th March 2015, 23:05
Super Moderator

Eco display Eco display
Garage
Dashcams should draw no more than 500mA of current if it has no LCD
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 8th March 2015, 15:29 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

The dash cam has lcd and secondary camera i got it from ebay, 1080p... but i think that the battery is too low in amps...
Another thing is that i am not driving the vehicle every day. So probably the battery in the dashcam is getting low after couple days. If i recharge the dashcam home, or in the vehicle, and drive the car, it works perfect.... but after 4-5 days not driving, its doing that thing...
You can see the display is flickering, like the battery is too weak... but my point was, if its connected to power, it must continue recording, not turning off...???
So thats why i wanted to have a continues power supply, so when i leave the car off for couple days, when i start driving the battery will work perfectly.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page