TMC Antenna splitter for TMC reception - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th October 2006, 15:20 Thread Starter

Question Antenna splitter for TMC reception

I am using a seperate GPS/TMC receiver from GNS for a navigation system. As you all problably know the TMC part is in fact a FM/RDS tuner. I read some succes stories about getting a better TMC signal when connecting the TMC receiver to the car antenna by using an antenna splitter.
So I bought one from GNS (see http://www.gns-gmbh.com/catalog/prod...bc704b2918d6b1)
After quite some work (changes connectors, opening dashboard etc.) I could finally connect the splitter and test it. But then it appeared that I couldn't receive any radio station anymore and also did not get any TMC information via the GPS/TMC receiver. Checked the splitter, all connections and wires but found nothing wrong. The splitter simply seems to block or disturb the antenna signal coming from the antenna amplifier mounted in the rear window.
Is somebody out there who tried the same or can anybody help me in one way or another?
I tried to get the schematics of the radio and the antenna amplifier but my dealer could only get the wiring diagrams, not the internal schematics.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th October 2006, 21:15
pcr

Straight off the top of my head, I have no experience of this. Try to determine if you have a weak signal or no signal. Using an alternate radio may help here. If no signal, then consider how the aerial amplifier is powered, does the head unit sense it's presence and apply power accordingly ?. Is the aerial amplifier powered via the aerial lead ?. Isn't it frustrating to have to guess at these things.
Regards, pcr.

Last edited by pcr; 26th October 2006 at 13:01.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th October 2006, 21:46 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcr View Post
Straight off the top of my head, I have no experience of this. Try to determine if you have a weak signal or no signal. Using an alternate radio may help here. If no signal, then consider how the aerial amplifier is powered, does the head unit sense it's presence are apply power accordingly ?. Is the aerial amplifier powered via the aerial lead ?. Isn't it frustrating to have to guess at these things.
Regards, pcr.
Thanks for you reaction. I have a very weak signal with the splitter connected. I did not try an alternate radio, to be done. The aerial amplifier is powered by a separate power lead (visible on the wiring diagrams that I got from my dealer), connection was ok. So the strange thing is that everything seems to be ok but it isn't.

The only thing that I could not do was a connection check from the inside of the radio to the outer connection of the splitter going to the aerial antenna. I used an "antenna adapter Honda USA" (see this link: http://www.tomacarparts.nl/Downloads/11a.pdf) to be able to insert the GNS splitter which looks not so robust (thin wires and so on), so maybe I have to look in that direction.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 26th October 2006, 22:43
pcr

Willem,
The splitter you are using is said to be incompatible with a certain Medion GPS device, might this apply to yours ?.
If the splitter is passive there may be a 50% loss of signal strength. Bearing in mind there may be issues with the radio reception anyway (see forum) what you are trying to do may leave you with poor reception.
What happens when you use the splitter with just the radio or just the TMS receiver connected ?. Also, try a 1 metre piece of wire in place of the aerial.
Regards, pcr.

Last edited by pcr; 26th October 2006 at 22:46.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 27th October 2006, 23:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcr View Post
Willem,
The splitter you are using is said to be incompatible with a certain Medion GPS device, might this apply to yours ?.
If the splitter is passive there may be a 50% loss of signal strength. Bearing in mind there may be issues with the radio reception anyway (see forum) what you are trying to do may leave you with poor reception.
What happens when you use the splitter with just the radio or just the TMS receiver connected ?. Also, try a 1 metre piece of wire in place of the aerial.
Regards, pcr.
Its a GNS GPS/TMC receiver, that's why I bought the GNS splitter. It is a passive splitter, so of course you lose signal strenght, but one should not expect to loose soo much signal that reception of a radio station is hardly possible anymore.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 25th February 2009, 08:34

I know this is an old thread, but i have the same GPS reciever and have sorted this out ok in my new 07 civic

The TMC signal requires a far stronger signal than normal FM, so even though you recive the channel the TMC data stream is too weak to be picked up.

I didn't purchase a splitter from TNS but made my own active one using car leads from autoleads.

the parts i used were

PC5-141 Honda In line adaptor (this is in two parts so will allow the split)
PC5-105 Din Splitter
PC5-91 Active booster
PC5-28 DIN - ISO (this i cut to splice the little antenna supplied with the GNS GPS)
5A Connector Block.

I used one end of the PC5-141 to attach to the Honda antenna plug, then used the PC5-105 to split that din connector into 2 then attached the other end of the PC5-141 two one of the two DIN plugs and attached this to the back of the radio.

I then connected the PC5-91 onto the other DIN connector (this is the important biit as it boosts the signal for the GNS BT TMC reciever) and then cut the PC5-28 and spliced the existing 2.5mm jack antenna onto this cable and this plugged into the GNS receiver.

last but not least i used the connector block to join all three of the active power line together.

This solution works great with signal strengths in the UK ranging on average from 50 - 100%

I imagine you already have this sorted, or have got a new car, but i am posting this to help other people in the same situation.

All these parts cost me 32.80 and to import the passive splitter from GNS in germany would have cost me 42 (in part due to the current rubbish exchange rate)

Regards

Fuzzy

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page