Other Nav / Audio dash backlight - how? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2006, 20:01 Thread Starter

Nav / Audio dash backlight - how?

I was driving in dark with my screen and dash brightness set to minimun, but I couldn't get the CD player and the nav dashboard (with the "Menu / Info / Map / Return" buttons) to get lit. It was hard to see the buttons in the dark. How do I get it to light up?

I remember seeing the dash lit when I drove to another city last weekend, but I don't remember how I did it. I tried consulting the manual but couldn't find any references in the index. (Admittedly, I didn't read through the entire manual...).

The buttons on the door console seem to be always lit, even when the power is turned off. Are they made of some glow-in-the-dark material?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2006, 22:55
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Just to the left of the nav 'wheel' is a small button with what looks like a crescent moon on it. push it and it will bring up a menu on the NAV screen which you can use to adjust the brightness, one you have it as you want it just hit ok. Hope that makes sense.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2006, 23:33
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to elisgriffiths
I may well be incorrect but it may be that it has just turned off as you did not press ok when you turned the engine on. Usually hitting enter brings up the same dialogue with me and it comes back.

Sorry if i am barking up the wrong tree,

Cheers

Elis

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 27th October 2006, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
Just to the left of the nav 'wheel' is a small button with what looks like a crescent moon on it. push it and it will bring up a menu on the NAV screen which you can use to adjust the brightness, one you have it as you want it just hit ok. Hope that makes sense.
Agree with above - also make sure the "daylight" and "night" colours aren't set to the same (via the menu, colour option), which would make the screen too dark in daytime.

Mike
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th October 2006, 05:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies, but I already knew about the screen brightness (the crescent moon button) and the gauge brightness (the button that pops up when pressed behind the steering wheel). I have those sorted out.

But I'm not talking about the screen and the gauges. I'm talking about the buttons below the nav screen: the CD player buttons, and the nav control buttons (Map, Menu, Climate, Audio, the directional/rotary knob etc). They didn't light up, so it was really hard to see them in the dark. They didn't get lit even when I set the screen and gauge brightness to minimum.

Is there some control to make the CD player and nav control buttons to light up?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th October 2006, 07:19
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Now that is a question...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th October 2006, 21:10 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well... are they even supposed to light up? Because I remember seeing the buttons illuminated. Either I remember wrong, or the backlight(s) may be broken?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th October 2006, 21:51
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
I would say you have a fault
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 28th October 2006, 22:47
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Well... are they even supposed to light up? Because I remember seeing the buttons illuminated. Either I remember wrong, or the backlight(s) may be broken?
Just been and checked, Yes they all light up, white on mine although other folk say they are light green. At least they do on an EX.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 05:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for your replies.

Do they always light up, or just when it's dark (the daylight detector)? Or only when the headlights are turned on? I had my headlights set to "Auto", and it didn't occur to me to switch them to a different mode.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 06:23

They do light up in a EX. Mine are whiteish too, but the ones on the drivers door are green tinted, and the ones on the strreing wheel are (rather dimmer) and alos looks a bit greenish sometimes!

I suspect its a white bulb with a slightly greenish filter in front of it fed via a fibre optic bundle to each switch?

Probably separate bulbs for door, main dash, and steering wheel?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 14:36
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Hei Skaven

You probably just have to twist the left stalk to it's fourth and last position. That's when the lights are on. Or did you already try this?

We Finns have our lights messed up by some link in the delivery chain so that we can not have our lights off. I normally have them in the "off" setting as they are turned on anyway as I start the car. I'd like to have the option of turning all external lights off with the car running, but someone has made that decision for me.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 15:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat View Post
You probably just have to twist the left stalk to it's fourth and last position. That's when the lights are on. Or did you already try this?
Hmm, yeah, that must be it! I'll try that the next time I'm driving in the dark. I was going to do it today, but my friends cancelled my visit to them. Well, maybe I'll go for a little night drive anyway. Just for the joy of driving my new car.

The little environmentalist in me will hopefully shut up. Come on, it's a new car! Can't I have a little fun before the novelty wears off? Puh-leeeeze?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 18:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Well, maybe I'll go for a little night drive anyway.
And so I did. You were right, Copycat: you have to manually turn on the headlights before the dash lights up. Thanks for the heads up.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 07:56
Galaxy class starship

No problem.
I take it that your car also has lights on all the time? The AUTO-setting is supposed to switch them on when it gets dark, but there's been complaints about how they turn on too late. Maybe ours will switch the dash lights on when its pitch black?

Anyway, I'll stick with the manual controls for now thanks.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 08:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat View Post
I take it that your car also has lights on all the time? The AUTO-setting is supposed to switch them on when it gets dark
Yep, they're on all the time in my car too. In Finland, I figure they set the lights to be always on when on AUTO, because the law requires you to keep headlights on all the time anyway.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 08:16
Galaxy class starship

And they're always on even if you turn the stalk to 'off' position. Annoying at times, when I'm parked and want to keep the car running. I wonder if the dealer would undo this for me if I asked them? Getting my winter tyres put under the car today so I'll be going there anyway.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 16:31
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
I have an SE and mine are definitely green; not white even with a tint of green, just light green!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page