Satnav Garmin lack of speed camera - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th April 2015, 08:19 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garmin lack of speed camera

Guys
Just ordered a 2015 Civic ES plus Tourer. I have been fortunate enough to get hold of the manuals prior to my June delivery. Looking through the Navigation manual, I see there are no references to speed camera information.
I would have thought the latest technology would include this basic information.
Does anyone know if the Garmin system does indeed come with speed cameras included or does the system lack this basic information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2015, 13:16

Car: 2015 SE Plus 1.6D Navi, Grey
I've got a 2015 SE+, and indeed the built-in Garmin satnav has no speed camera info. My portable Garmin, with an almost identical user interface, includes this. I asked the Honda salesman how to turn on the speed camera info, and he said that Honda had told Garmin to take it out. "Honda don't want to be seen to be encouraging people to speed". I'd have thought that warning drivers about speed cameras was precisely the opposite!

Interested to hear if anyone has succeeding in getting it switched on.
Thanks to neilcutland from:
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2015, 14:33
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Problem could be updating them when active. A simple way of updating the .GPI file would do.

I use a separate Garmin 2599LMT-D and the up to date PocketGPSWorld camera database, updated weekly.

I've also written my own application to convert the PGPSW .csv file into .gpx which allows more customisation, works a treat

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2015, 15:57
Supporter

Could also be a money saving thing on honda's part - for example as they sell the same car in France, albeit with the wheel on the wrong side, they don't allow satnav's with speed camera notifications. Rather than having to remove it just for that market, making it not available at all sounds cheaper to me. Annoying really.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2015, 16:24
Administrator

I also don't understand why they have gone with the TMC RDS traffic info when Garmin's digital traffic is so much faster updating and covers far more roads.

It's basically the same SatNav technology we have now, have had since 2006, so no breakthrough that there should have been in 9 years.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2015, 16:37 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

As the system is a cut down android os would it no be possible to load one of the many free
sat nav systems available. Has anyone tried?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 26th June 2015, 17:08
Administrator

It is Android but it's a locked down Honda Android.

At the moment you can only load and run apps from the Honda app store.
Thanks to Kremmen from:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th July 2015, 11:04

Car: 2007 CTR, Red
Send a message via MSN to Lucas79
Hi All,

Just bought a Civic Tourer 2015 Lifestyle in The Netherlands with the Android/Garmin Satnav, and in the Dutch version there are no speedcamera's present.

I hope someone finds a way to 'jailbreak' the Honda/Android so we can use the full version of Garmin, before my Type-R 2015 arrives in oktober. I'm pretty sure the speedcamera's will come in handy on that car. :P

greetz,

Lucas
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th July 2015, 12:08
Administrator

I'm running a Garmin 2599LMT-D wired to the option connector as a backup to the built in unit.
The 2599 gives me the PocketGPSWorld speed cameras (not Garmins) and the far better digital traffic from Inrix.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page