AC/Heater Installed interior heater - beginner's mistake - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 20:33 Thread Starter

Installed interior heater - beginner's mistake

As the weather is getting colder, I decided to mount an interior pre-heater (Defa 1400 S) in the passenger footwell of my Civic, onto the plastic wall of the center console (so that it sits near the passenger's knee). The heater comes with a mount you can attach with three screws. Everything went pretty smoothly, the mount is firmly attached and the heater clicks firmly onto it.

But... I made a beginner's mistake. I didn't notice it before I opened the glove compartment. I managed to install the heater just an inch too high up, so the compartment lid hits it when it opens, and doesn't open fully. It's just an inch, but it's very annoying. I can always unscrew and move the mount a bit lower, but that means making more holes in the plastic of my brand new car. Gah, I shudder at the thought. (and I was too tired to do it now, maybe I'll do it later...)

So, a word of warning to anyone installing an interior heater: open the glove compartment first to make sure the heater won't block it!

Last edited by Skaven252; 29th October 2006 at 20:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 20:54
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
I was about to query why you would need such a thing, then i looked at your location. Stay warm my Scandinavian friend!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 21:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes, engine block and interior heaters are a necessity over here. A study was conducted and it was discovered that starting the engine cold can result as much engine wear as a 100 km drive, plus the start wastes a lot of petrol, which burns imperfectly creating harmful emissions. A pre-warmed engine starts much better.

This was mainly a problem with old cars, which could be extremely difficult to start in freezing cold weather. Newer cars start much easier when cold, but they still waste a lof of petrol and wear down.

The interior heater is also nice, it's nice to sit into a warm car. The windows also get warmed up by the warm interior, so it's easier to get the ice off them.

Most homes in Scandinavia have electric plugs in their parking places. They have timers, which you can set so that your car is warmed up for 2 hours before you go.

(All this, just in case some of you were still wondering what the heater is for )

Last edited by Skaven252; 29th October 2006 at 21:48.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 22:56
Happy civic owner

Mmmmmmmm, bliss, the thought of a nice toasty warm car on a cold winters day.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 29th October 2006, 23:58
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Send a message via MSN to Kpow99
Bet you have a lot of cracked windscreens and no insurance for them there
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 04:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Umm... not really. What would crack them? The interior heater doesn't warm up the car any faster than the car itself would do.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 06:24

well, luckily I don't need any of that stuff in my baby cause I always keep her in a warm garage at home and work, just use winter tyres (Nokia Hkpl 4)

Skaven, sorry to hear about your mounting mistake with that heater, I can well understand that you do not want to drill any extra holes in your brand new baby maybe you could try covering the holes with some strong black tape? Yes I know, doesn't look too attractive with tape fixes... but still
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 06:27
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Umm... not really. What would crack them? The interior heater doesn't warm up the car any faster than the car itself would do.
The cold to hot to cold....my friends in Calgary suffer with cracked screens every year and it's not therefore insured. Their problem is the chinook from the rockies gives extreme swings in temp, could be -17 then up to +15 in a matter of a day.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 06:42
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Kpow99,

Probably due to them driving substandard american cars

Most cracked windows here are a result of winter tyres and studs from those being hauled at the windscreen at 60 mph while you're going the other way at that speed. Now there's a sight I hate. Seeing a stone or whatever coming at you knowing it's too late to do anything and then you hear it hit your car.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 07:31
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Funny, my friend drives a Honda Civic actually and it happens to all cars, do you have those swing in temp from day to day in the middle of winter? Christmas day one year was -20c then on boxing day the wind came down and it was +17c and everyone was wearing shorts and T's. Don't think there many places on earth that can have those sudden changes in temp.

On the subject of cracked screens, do you remeber when I had mine back in May? point to note for anyone that does require a new screen....Make sure you ask for Honda glass as the guy at RAC windscreens told me that they fit non-original glass that is not the same standard as Honda and is cheaper for them, so when he asked if I wanted Honda Glass he gave me a nod and a wink and told me why.

Anyway, I just noticed a couple of days ago that I have another chip fortunatley it's not a star burst like last time
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 08:11
Galaxy class starship

Our temp swings aren't as dramatic. So not too many screens crack due to that.

Re original subject, I still need to buy an interior heater. Any pointers as to where to buy? I suppose I'll go for a Defa. Any on sale that you know about, guys? Last one I had I bought from a Suzuki dealership's opening sale. Went in, bought the heater and left. Not that interested in their other 'merchandise'.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 08:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uffe View Post
well, luckily I don't need any of that stuff in my baby cause I always keep her in a warm garage
Hmmmm... sounds cool, but I've heard a myth that a warm garage can get the car rusty, because there's always some melting ice and snow packed in the bottom of the car and it doesn't get enough time to fully dry or fall off (since the garages are usually kept at around +5 degrees), it just keeps the car constantly wet. This is especially bad with salted roads. Could be just a myth, though.

Anyway, this morning I was delighted to find my car warm and comfortable right from the start.

Quote:
maybe you could try covering the holes with some strong black tape? Yes I know, doesn't look too attractive with tape fixes... but still
Maybe, yeah. I was thinking along the lines of sanding the edges of the holes smooth, then applying some kind of plastic padding, and finally color it with a black marker. Anyway, looks like some DIY work coming up...

I presume, and hope, that there's no wiring underneath the plastic down there.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 10:19

yeah, I've heard that same myth but so far I haven't noticed any rust on any of my cars I've had over the years. Point is that I drive my cars in max 6 years before I change to a new one again, never bought any used car. This might be the reason why I haven't seen any rust from keeping my cars in warm garage every winter.

Covering those drill holes like that sounds a lot better, a lot more professional too compared to just adding some black tape Good luck!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 07:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hooo boy! I performed a magnificent stunt in the garage today. I met my next door neighbor there and we chatted about my new Civic. Off he went, then I started my car and started reversing and... WHUNK!

Having been distracted by the chit chat with my neighbor, I had completely forgotten to detach the heater cable from the socket. A nasty tug. After initial swearing and poking around a little it turned out most of the damage was done to the cable itself (the pins were slightly bent), not to the car or the wall socket. Lucky me.

The damage would have been much worse, if the wall socket's locked cabinet was made of steel, not plastic. The plastic door was flexible enough to let the lock come loose without breaking anything.

Why are the sockets inside locked cabinets, you non-Scandinavians ask? Because those cables are a tad pricey, and some people have a nasty habit of stealing them. The cabinet holds the thick end of the cable behind a locked door so it can't be nicked. Also, some people may steal power from the socket.

Anyway what comes to the heater, I decided it's not worth the trouble to unmount it and move it by an inch. I can live with the glovebox lid hitting the heater. It still opens enough. And it's only a problem during the winter.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 09:58

Woah, lucky you didn't damage the car or socket!
In the old days when I didn't have any garage, I remember one early Monday morning (you know, those mornings ) same disaster happend to me. Luckily no damage at all, not even to the cable.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 10:30
Galaxy class starship

I bet that woke you up properly!

My mum did that a few years ago, ripped the socked right out of where it was on the garage wall. And luckily no damage to the car.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 20th December 2006, 17:20

One more experience to share with you
I also forgot to detach the heaters cable..and PAM...!!!
I heard the sound, and didn't realize where did it come. After 30 minutes I came back home and saw cable in the ground. I didn't got it..why is my green cable in the ground?!

Then I look at the wall socket and realized what happened. But no damage to the car socket, wall socket or the cable. I suppose it was a miracle because when I heard the sound I was reversing left..and the car plug had to be in that kind of possession that it should be broken.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11th January 2007, 01:03
Enthusiastic Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 5 door, Cosmic grey
Send a message via MSN to Miggins
Oil heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Hmmmm... sounds cool, but I've heard a myth that a warm garage can get the car rusty, because there's always some melting ice and snow packed in the bottom of the car and it doesn't get enough time to fully dry or fall off (since the garages are usually kept at around +5 degrees), it just keeps the car constantly wet. This is especially bad with salted roads. Could be just a myth, though.
No myth - but probably not such an issue nowadays with such good anti-corrosion treatment and as long as your garage is reasonably well ventilated. I think it was more a problem when a hot wet car was put in an un ventilated garage.

Skaven,
Do you use engine sump heaters in your country? Are they easy to fit and what sort of cost?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11th January 2007, 07:52

Mine is just lying on the floor.. i didnt want to make any marks to the dash so it's not attached at all . Also it's nice to remove it during summers
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11th January 2007, 08:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggins View Post
Do you use engine sump heaters in your country? Are they easy to fit and what sort of cost?
Um, I'm not sure exactly what an engine sump heater is? Does it use oil or is it electric? My car has an electric engine block heater installed. It cost some €200, including installation which was done before I bought the car. There are also electric car battery chargers available, that keep the car battery charged during cold weather. They, and the interior heater, are all powered by the same Defa plug.

With this global warming and all, I haven't used the heater for weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkumies View Post
Mine is just lying on the floor.. i didnt want to make any marks to the dash so it's not attached at all . Also it's nice to remove it during summers
Well, mine is also removable. The mount remains attached to the dash, though, but it's the same color as the dash so it's not that unsightly.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page