Video Playing movie DVD's in the EX? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 30th October 2006, 20:15 Thread Starter
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Wink Playing movie DVD's in the EX?

I'm pretty sure it can be done, a DVD drive is a DVD drive is a DVD drive. I'm sure its all been disengaged and protected, obviously driving and watching a DVD is not a good idea, but is it possible to do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 31st October 2006, 16:53 Thread Starter
King of the rodeo
** Thread starter **

I guess no one cares
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 31st October 2006, 17:32
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
i reckon over time someone will come up with a way. I know someone who could probably do it but it might mean running a seperate dvd player to the honda screen. Also that would envolve removing alot of the dash which personally i would not want to do on my own civic.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 31st October 2006, 18:02
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
not so much that no one cares, more that it's come up a few times in the past, and no one has yet come up with even a plan for how it might be possible - let alone what wires to start cutting, or software to start hacking

The whole sat nav display system runs under (IIRC) some sort of Windows CE environment, so it's potentially possible - but if (for example) the chunks of CE that run DVD decoding have been ripped up, then it's going to be an uphill struggle...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 31st October 2006, 19:18

Most manufacturers block the ability to play DVD movies to prevent any litigation resulting from someone watching a DVD and rear-ending the car in front - plus I think a lot of it depends on what quality the screen is at i.e. is it a good enough quality to playback DVD movies - many Sat Nav screens are only VGA based and lack the colour depth required.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 1st November 2006, 11:31
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
A DVD drive is a DVD drive

A DVD player includes, a DVD drive, a DVD decoder chip and a chip to change the digital images in to one of a number of outputs that a TV will take.

A DVD drive just READS a DVD and that's it; Windows CE is NOT powerful enough to decode a DVD. It's not that they've just switched it off; it's just not there.
Now what potentially could be done is for you to hook up a decoder chip and then output that in to the format of the display, but it's ALOT of work and not worth it. you'd be better just buying a portable dvd player and mounting it somehow.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 1st November 2006, 11:36
Supporter

Not to mention the fact that to play a DVD movie, assuming you did go through all that bother, would mean removing the satnav disc first, which you'd probably not want to do either.

What *would* be possibly useful would be if it were possible to install a DVD player but be able to output it to the satnav screen. However, I doubt that's worth the hassle either.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 1st November 2006, 11:36

There must be an aux input somewhere for the reversing cam, so it might be possible to wire a seperate DVD player into that and use the existing screen, but as per Gav above, no chance with the standard fot one playing DVDs
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 00:06
Super Moderator

apols - I didn't explain myself very well on the Windows CE DVD decoder bit

In fact, I managed to choose exactly the wrong bit to make my point with

However, what I should have said was - how would you get the Honda'ised version of Windows CE to decide that what was in the DVD drive was a DVD, not the Sat Nav disc?
And once it had, what would you expect it to do with it?

Or - are we expecting the DVD drive to bypass CE completly, and just feed straight to the screen? (via the decoder chip as mentioned by generationgav)

In either case, which button on the dash are we hoping the DVD drive will recognise as 'Enter'?
or FFWD, skip, pause, stop, left, right, up, down?

And I guess we're hoping that the DVD decoding happens to feed the audio part of the DVD signal through to the radio HU somehow, so that we can use the volume control?
Obviously it manages this with the Sat Nav, but I have no idea quite how (although I know a certain someone on here almost managed to replace the voice files)

Please note that re-reading this post, it may appear that I am being slightly sarcastic - which is not the case.

I just think there may be a tad more too it than might appear at first glance.
After all - you would indeed think that when hooking up a DVD player and a screen, it ought to just well, work.
But given that it doesn't, I think it's going to be a right royal PITA

Happy to be proven wrong though!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 11:03 Thread Starter
King of the rodeo
** Thread starter **

No need for apologies and not at all sarcastic! I'm just curious to see if it can be done, if it was i don't think i'd do it, it would be pointless. Every now and then i come up with these crazy ideas!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 18:44
Super Moderator

we like crazy ideas

every now and then one pays off!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2006, 14:17
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
Could be much easier if you have a rear camera as for video feed you could just fake the feed/plus have the car think it's in reverse then sort out the audio

so all in all Maybe not
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2006, 20:32
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldax View Post
Could be much easier if you have a rear camera as for video feed you could just fake the feed/plus have the car think it's in reverse then sort out the audio

so all in all Maybe not
Don't forget that the view from the camera is a mirror image, so if it could be made to work, left would be right and right would be left. Top would be top though and so would bottom be bottom. My head hurts trying to think it through
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 4th July 2007, 19:38

Car: VIVID BLUE TYPE S GT-nav/hft
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura-tv-navigation.html

http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/search_produ...eo+Integration

It maybe Honda use the same interface and comps on the europe/USA models

NAV-INHON
Product: Honda Video Input
Manufacturer: HONDA
Description: Video input for integration of aftermarket products (e.g. DVD player) with the Honda factory navigation System.
■ Two Video Inputs
■ Auto Video Switching
■ PAL & NTSC Compatible
■ Analogue & Digital Compatible
■ Plug & Play Connection
Compatible with: All Honda models fitted with a separate navigation computer.
Accord , Legend etc..
■ Any aftermarket source added via this interface will function while the vehicle is in motion (passenger use only) Locate Your Nearest UK Dealer

Last edited by Boyjammer; 4th July 2007 at 19:52.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 4th July 2007, 20:05
Type EX,A guy called Mark

Car: 2015 Peugeot 208 GTI, 208BHP
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 4th July 2007, 20:50
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyjammer View Post
http://www.tvandnav2go.com/acura-tv-navigation.html

http://www.nav-tv.co.uk/search_produ...eo+Integration

It maybe Honda use the same interface and comps on the europe/USA models

NAV-INHON
Product: Honda Video Input
Manufacturer: HONDA
Description: Video input for integration of aftermarket products (e.g. DVD player) with the Honda factory navigation System.
■ Two Video Inputs
■ Auto Video Switching
■ PAL & NTSC Compatible
■ Analogue & Digital Compatible
■ Plug & Play Connection
Compatible with: All Honda models fitted with a separate navigation computer.
Accord , Legend etc..
■ Any aftermarket source added via this interface will function while the vehicle is in motion (passenger use only) Locate Your Nearest UK Dealer
Allready covered here http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1751 (Post #18) and as per markvirgo's post, very expensive! I have called Nav TV and they could not confirm it works 100% with the 8th gen Civic.

Much cheaper to go down this route.... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6117
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 4th July 2007, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldax View Post

so all in all Maybe not
Problem is getting sound input. It would be better to install Linux or similar onto the system and have it duel boot from CE to Linux and back. You can do the same with an iPod, installing iPod Linux can make it do all sorts of things that it wasn't made to do!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 14th February 2008, 11:58
i-VTEC Junkie

Quick one... I know the thread is old, but.....

WinCE (4.2 on the satnav) is quite capable of playing/decoding MPG2/DVD... as long as the processor (SH4) on the device is up to the job. But WinCE is NOT the stumbling block..

I've been playing, as sorta got a version of TCPMP working (or at least starting, it does NOT work as such). However I've had to replace the AirCon 'screen' with the app, as it's the only way to get the device to launch owt is via the hardware buttons.

I'm going to have to write an App that will test the hardware buttons to get their control codes back... so perhaps I can use them.

Also I'm basically strugling in the dark, as I have very little information on the device, does anyone know what Alpine model this is based on? or any 'propper' specs for the Honda one?

Thanks, and hopefully we can go one better than DVD, and play DivX/WMV....

Last edited by charlas; 14th February 2008 at 12:14.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 15th February 2008, 13:26
pcr

Charlas,
Sorry to say I can't help but wish you luck with your project, isn't getting the right information always a problem ?.
I would like to ask a question, is the software structured so as to allow the color pallettes to be changed, and what would it take to do this ?.
Thanks, pcr.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 15th February 2008, 14:04
i-VTEC Junkie

Colours should be possible, when I've delved around in there I'll let ya know (I am assuming you mean the mapping colours). However if it's the text your having issues with, the Font can be changed very easily. Finding a font that would be better might be an issue as the whole system is setup for the font that is being used (spacing etc), but certainly possible, in fact very easy.

The Colours should be do-able, however that means dissasembling the databases etc, or locating where the system stores this information (registry or file).

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page