Electrics Dashboard colour change - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th April 2015, 18:25 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2006 Civic 1.8 ES Meh Blue
Garage
Question Dashboard colour change

Hey, long time reader, first time poster.

Just curious as to if anyone had tried to change the dashboard interior colour? Around the rev counter, temp gauge, fuel gauge etc...

From many many many days of research, what I can gather is that the Type R dashboard will fit, but Honda has to reprogram it, which all of my local honda dealers are refusing to even admit is possible Unless someone knows of one in England that'll do it?

I've got my hands on an 06 1.8 dash, doesn't work, £5 from local scrap yard, I've managed to get the front black cover apart, and the rear white cover off, but as far as removing the needle to get the plastic colour cover off, I just can't figure it out? I have a local printing place that has said they can print onto a plastic sheet in similar style.

Has anyone else tried anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 30th April 2015, 22:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Well, just used brute force, turns out the unit is a sealed clip unit, no way of disassembling it delicately

Off to beg honda to program a type r dash
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st May 2015, 07:58
Supporter

I have stripped the dash pinnacle down and rebuilt using type r coloured plastics the needles literally just pull out i levered them with trim removal tools.
What i gave found out is in my diesel
1. The dash that i rebuilt works the speedo display just plugs in as does the climate temp display my mileage is still correct but i have no little red type r light in the speedo part .
2.i have a second type r rev counter complete and untouched if i plug this in then i get a lot of error messages and the mileage is incorrect but the little type r light in the speedo head is illuminated.
So i have plenty of spare dash parts aswell lol

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2015, 11:00 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-1975 View Post
I have stripped the dash pinnacle down and rebuilt using type r coloured plastics the needles literally just pull out i levered them with trim removal tools.
What i gave found out is in my diesel
1. The dash that i rebuilt works the speedo display just plugs in as does the climate temp display my mileage is still correct but i have no little red type r light in the speedo part .
2.i have a second type r rev counter complete and untouched if i plug this in then i get a lot of error messages and the mileage is incorrect but the little type r light in the speedo head is illuminated.
So i have plenty of spare dash parts aswell lol
Hmmmmm, don't suppose you remember how you managed to take the central screen out do you?

Also I'm getting the rust along the windscreen repaired by Honda under garuntee, and the bloke dealing with it said while he hasn't fit a Type R dash, he doesn't see why it wouldn't work if it was recoded to my car. He was unsure about the mileage though.

Ah well, thanks for the reply, just gotta go experimenting now
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2015, 11:12
Supporter

The central screen meaning the one that shows mpg etc?
If so theres a screw at the back you remove then when the white plastic is removed there is a ribbon and a plug remove both of them then from the front pull or use a trim removal tool and lever?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 14:36 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Thanks for the info Gonna get a Type R dash and have it fitted by Horizon Honda though, they said they've not done it before but they can't see why it won't work. Might as well go all out
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 15:08
GUR
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR
But why don't you get a full set of Type R clocks : Tachometer, Speedometer and Central Display which shows you ambient temp, radio etc ?

They are all plug n play, except de Tachometer (which also is fine, accurate rpm, lights etc, but...) will shows you mileage from the donor car (the mileage is stored in the tachometer, not in engine ECU).
That's the thing that Honda should sort of but they say that can't re-write EPROM (tachometer memory). When you buy it as new, the Eprom is open and once you write something on it or put it on the car, the Eprom is locked... but that's half truth.
I found a good electronist which cloned my original tachometer and merged the info to another one (bought second). So, you have to found someone skilled enough .
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 15:49
Supporter

I did put genuine type r taco in my car and yes the mileage showed from the dinar car but I also got a lot of error messages I still have the genuine type r taco as well spare so if the error messages can be removed I will put them back in are the error messages stored in the way or the tacho ?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 15:51 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUR View Post
But why don't you get a full set of Type R clocks : Tachometer, Speedometer and Central Display which shows you ambient temp, radio etc ?

They are all plug n play, except de Tachometer (which also is fine, accurate rpm, lights etc, but...) will shows you mileage from the donor car (the mileage is stored in the tachometer, not in engine ECU).
That's the thing that Honda should sort of but they say that can't re-write EPROM (tachometer memory). When you buy it as new, the Eprom is open and once you write something on it or put it on the car, the Eprom is locked... but that's half truth.
I found a good electronist which cloned my original tachometer and merged the info to another one (bought second). So, you have to found someone skilled enough .
Yeah that's what I'm planning, don't the dash boards have to be programmed to the car too?

The Honda dealership nearby said that they can't guarantee the dashboard will work but they are willing to give it a try. So if I get a new one, I can get accurate mileage? But if I get second hand, I'll have the donor car's mileage which isn't reprogrammable?

Thanks for the info

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...-complete.html

I've messaged Steverea, to see what Honda dealer he got to change his dash, then I'll give them a call to see what they had to do and if it's something my local dealer can do.

Last edited by thegeekster; 3rd May 2015 at 15:54.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 16:24
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeekster View Post
Yeah that's what I'm planning, don't the dash boards have to be programmed to the car too?

The Honda dealership nearby said that they can't guarantee the dashboard will work but they are willing to give it a try. So if I get a new one, I can get accurate mileage? But if I get second hand, I'll have the donor car's mileage which isn't reprogrammable?

Thanks for the info

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...-complete.html

I've messaged Steverea, to see what Honda dealer he got to change his dash, then I'll give them a call to see what they had to do and if it's something my local dealer can do.

Let me know how you get on buddy but steves is a 1.8 and so is your i am thinking is the error issues due to being a diesel ?......
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 16:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Garage
Shall do, but mine's a 1.8 SE, pretty much same as his so hopefully i get to use the majority of the rev counter
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 16:33
GUR
Supporter

@Carlos-1975 : what type of errors do you get ? I don't think they are related to the tacho as far as this tacho just read information from sensors : ESP, ABS, speed sensor, ECU rpm sensor, fuel tank level, and so on... is just a reading tool.

@thegeekster : yes, that's corect . A new one has the EPROM open so you can write what you want or your dealer can write infos stored in your tacho to the new one. But after this operation the EPROM locks.

I'm also interested what Steverae has to say about this.

A few months ago I made an engine swap on my car, 1.8 to 2.0. The Type R tacho had some problems, some circuits were broken. My Honda dealership (where I made the swap) told me that I can use my 1.8 tacho with no problem on a 2.0 engine and we even gave it a try. Absolut no errors on tacho, except that redline was on 6800 rpm on the tacho and kept going on to 8000 rpm, but the rpm's were accurate.
After that, I bought an UK Type R tachometer but I had 2 problems : my car is LHD and i don't have a hole for km/miles button on dashboard fascia and when i disconnect the battery the tacho kept going back from km to miles and that forced me to dismantle the whole dashboard to push the button from miles to km from tacho, behind the fascia. Second problem, when I open the driver door it shows me the right door (which is normal, in UK the right door is driver's door ). One week ago I found someone skilled enough to clone my initial Type R tacho to the one I bought (second) from UK. So, now everything is as it should be .

So, I don't see any problem to change your clocks with Type R ones.

Last edited by GUR; 3rd May 2015 at 16:45.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 18:23
Supporter

I got eml light ecl fault abs fault and a few others
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 19:13
GUR
Supporter

OK but those are just errors. A Honda dealership could delete those errors as long as nothing is really broken in reality. After that I doubt that errors will come back.
I also had some check engine light at the beginning but they deleted them and nothing was wrong with the engine or anything else. Electronical parts are sensible and could give errors but that doesn't mean the car has problems.

As I said, the tachometer is just a reading tool from sensors... or I don't know, maybe diesel is something different, although I doubt.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2015, 19:21
Supporter

Ok cheers looks like i will be putting the type r tach back in the car and try having the faults cleared see if that works just strange that when the diesel tacho is in i get no fault codes but when the type r taco is in i get all the lights and fault codes

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Tags
dashboard colour change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page