Alarm 2 Way alarm System - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st November 2006, 23:04 Thread Starter

2 Way alarm System

Has anyone replaced the Factory fitted immobiliser on the new 2006 HOnda civic? I'd like to upgrade the immobiliser on my 1.8 EX I-shift to "2 Way Aalrm System" the alarm system which has a pager like the Viper 480 XV. Does anyone knows if this kind of alarm system is compatible with the new Honda Civic 2006 model? Which 2 way alarm system do you think is the best? I need advice on alarm system pls,

Thanks,
beachead21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 00:12
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
welcome aboard beachead

as far as I recall, no one in here has ever mentioned even thinking of replacing or adding to the alarm system on the new Civics

From distant memory of previous cars though, I do seem to recall that these pager type system could be retro fitted to virtually any alarm system (on the grounds that they basically just need to be triggered).

But that was from a few years back to be honest.

good luck though!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 06:05
ads

Degs is right, you can fit pretty much any alarm to any car!

From personal experience though, they're not worth the hassle. The last three cars I've had I've upgraded the alarm, I won't be doing it for my next car though!

At present I have the Clifford G5 950 with an Autocate system. It's still the top of the range and pretty much the best system out there. When I looked into two-way system's I found that the Autocate is the best and most convenient system. It's basically a box with a sim card built in that's attached to your alarm system. Once your alarm goes off, the system texts your phone telling you exactly whats happened (window smashed, wheels tampered with etc.). Good thing is there's no range limit, you don't even have to be in the same country to know whats happening to your car. Another advantage to the Autocate is that it doubles up as a tracker. There's a system/software on the web that will lock on to the position of the Autocate in the case of robbery, so you can log on to the net and find your car then give the location to the police over the phone!

There are a few disadvantages to the system though. For example, you have to make sure the credit is always topped up on the sim, you'll get annoying texts if your alarm justs go off unexpectedly, mechanics or others may trigger off your alarm when doing work to your car causing you to receive another text!

Factor this in with the fact that the G5 is uber sensitive to the point where parking on a slight hill will trigger off the alarm, as will a strong wind, and you have yourself a bit of a nuisance!

IMO it's not worth the money, these systems are not cheap (and why would you want to replace your alarm with a cheap system anyway?!) and they are a lot of hassle. Also, I wouldn't go for one of those cheap pager systems. Reason being, my friend had one and we met up at a restaurant with loads of other friends one night and bearing in mind the car park is literally opposite the restaurant (In fact if the windows weren't frosted, you would be able to see directly into the car park from where we were sat), his car got broken into without the alarm going off! It's not worth buying a cheap system, and it's really not worth paying big bucks for one either!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 06:12
ads

P.S. Here's a link to a site that sells these pager systems. The Auto Cate is still pretty much the best system you can get but it's not cheap at 400! Nice feature though that you can attach a smoke machine to the auto cate and text it to set it off, filling the car up with smoke!!

Couple it with the top of the range Clifford G5 950 and you're looking at about a grand's worth of alarm!! Don't think I paid anywhere near that for mine, and it was fitted over a year ago!! By the way, there's only two alarms in the G5 range that are Thatcham Approved. The cheaper one is about 200 less than the 950.

Last edited by ads; 2nd November 2006 at 06:17.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2006, 07:35
Supporter

I'm a subscriber to https://secure.eurowatchcentral.com/ which offers a pan-European tracking service for my Civic.

As well as the basic GPS system (which sends me info via SMS informing me of how my car's doing i.e. doors closed, ignition drop, lift/tilt sensor, speed, current location etc, a 24hr despatcher will, in the event of the car being stolen, liaise directly with the relevant police authority to track down the vehicle. This is cross border too, so it's good if you're located in the middle of Europe like me

And, they can remotely cut the ignition, sound the horn, flash lights too should someone make off with it.

Also, if you take it to a garage there's actually a service mode so that mechanics can work on the car no fuss.

As for the cost, this is partially offset by a 20-30% reduction in your insurance premium (depending upon the company concerned).

Along with another theft-deterrent I have installed, the combination of the two gives me a certain reassurance that otherwise I wouldn't have with just the factory installed Honda alarm/immobiliser.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page