Electrics Car battery charging thru cig lighter? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 09:00 Thread Starter

Question Car battery charging thru cig lighter?

I heard a vague rumour about a car battery charger that actually works through the cig lighter. So instead of opening your bonnet and alligatoring the battery's poles, you neatly insert a plug in the cigaretter lighter and the charger charges the battery through that. Do such things actually exist?

It would be pretty handy over here in winter, because if you don't drive for a while and your battery runs empty, it may be ruined if it gets frozen. A charger plugged into the plug in the parking place would help to avoid this problem. It would also be neat if it had an adapter that can take power from the interior heater socket of the car.

It would have been especially neat if I had had this gadget when I had my Twingo. It had a nasty tendency to exhaust its battery if you didn't drive for three weeks (or only made occasional short trips).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 10:08
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
If this was to work (I'd kind of doubt it as all there needs to be is one capacitor and it wouldn't work) then you'd definitely need the key in the ignition as the cig lighter is not enabled when the key is out; leaving your key in the ignition isn't great for parking up. (and takes even more power!)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 10:35
Smell My Cheese!

I have one of these, they connect between the 2 cigarette lighters, but are no good against a very flat battery, they also take a little longer than would a traditional set.

Very handy when you can't get nose to nose, you can use the one in the boot, or wherever.

http://secure.ordersite.co.uk/secure...&ProductID=179

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 10:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Oh I see.. so it's actually not technically feasible, and can only be used to jump start a dead battery. Thanks for your points.

Well then... Defa sells battery chargers that fit under the bonnet. Some of them have built-in timers (which would be redundant and get complicated with Finnish parking site electric plugs, as they already have timers in them). Well, I'll just ask my dealer if it's feasible to have one installed. I suppose I've become a bit paranoid after the few nasty dead battery experiences I've had with my Twingo.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 13:14

I think it may be technically feasible, if you buy a cigar lighter socket (extension lead or 2-way adaptor), and wire it to your battery charger. Then use this gadget. The problem is the fact you'd need to turn the ignition on, so it's not really on. Some cars (BMW for instance) have the lighter socket always live, but sadly ours don't
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 13:24
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy View Post
I think it may be technically feasible, if you buy a cigar lighter socket (extension lead or 2-way adaptor), and wire it to your battery charger. Then use this gadget. The problem is the fact you'd need to turn the ignition on, so it's not really on. Some cars (BMW for instance) have the lighter socket always live, but sadly ours don't
My Pug 206 had a fuse you could change position to make it either live on ignition or always live.

I wish the one in the boot was always live.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 13:26

How about solar powered trickle chargers? Like this one http://http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/...c06002IC03.php

I don't know if they work on all cars. My g/f's Ka has constant power to 12v socket, our Civics don't. I don't know if that matters with these...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 04:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
How about solar powered trickle chargers?
Yeah, those looked pretty cool! But I since a) at home my car is parked in a garage (with roof on top) and b) there isn't that much sunlight in Finland in winter, when the battery problems are most common, I concluded a solar cell wouldn't help me much, I'm afraid. It's a cool idea though, and I'd definitely get one if I lived in a sunnier country.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 20:12
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Yeah, those looked pretty cool! But I since a) at home my car is parked in a garage (with roof on top) and b) there isn't that much sunlight in Finland in winter, when the battery problems are most common, I concluded a solar cell wouldn't help me much, I'm afraid. It's a cool idea though, and I'd definitely get one if I lived in a sunnier country.
Problem is, if you lived in a sunnier country you probably wouldn't need one
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 21:34
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Send a message via MSN to Kpow99
Alot of cars in the colder parts of Canada have a plug socket sticking out of the front grill so you can plug in to your parking space at home and sometimes in open public areas. Shame about the solid front section, maybe you can get this sort of thing fitted under the front spoiler?!?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 05:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpow99 View Post
Alot of cars in the colder parts of Canada have a plug socket sticking out of the front grill so you can plug in to your parking space at home and sometimes in open public areas. Shame about the solid front section, maybe you can get this sort of thing fitted under the front spoiler?!?
I already have a socket right next to the license plate, for the engine block and interior heater. I just forgot about the battery charger. So I thought that charging the battery through the lighter would be a cheap, easy solution, something I can just purchase in a shop instead of having to take the car to the dealer to have one installed.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 06:22
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Easiest way to ensure your battery doesn't discharge on it's own would be to disconnect it.
If you know you're not going to be driving for weeks, that is.

I'm sure you will disagree but I would also argue that your Twingo was more prone to electrical faults anyway... I wouldn't worry about your Civic's battery going flat in a few weeks, even in cold weather. Just ask these guys about the general standards of French cars.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 09:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yeah... French cars are notorious for electric problems. So I shouldn't worry about the Honda, really. Good point.

Anyway, wouldn't disconnecting my battery erase the car's computer (like the odometer and my satnav Favorite Places, etc)?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 10:30
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
The odometer will defo not be reset. Trip A and B probalby would. Not sure about the sat-nav though. Depends on what kind of memory it uses. Computer hard drives don't become blank when you disconnect the power.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 20:41
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycat View Post
The odometer will defo not be reset. Trip A and B probalby would. Not sure about the sat-nav though. Depends on what kind of memory it uses. Computer hard drives don't become blank when you disconnect the power.
Sat-nav appears to load the operating system each time the car is started, hence the Honda logo and disclaimer when the ignition is turned on.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by generationgav View Post
If this was to work (I'd kind of doubt it as all there needs to be is one capacitor and it wouldn't work) then you'd definitely need the key in the ignition as the cig lighter is not enabled when the key is out; leaving your key in the ignition isn't great for parking up. (and takes even more power!)
hello, noob here.

Is that right?? can it be overridden? I like to charge things overnight (hidden away) and that would get annoying.

ta

joe
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th November 2006, 07:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyCiv View Post
Sat-nav appears to load the operating system each time the car is started, hence the Honda logo and disclaimer when the ignition is turned on.
Which, I might add, takes way too long IMO. Though it would be much less of a problem if the reverse camera worked immediately. Now if I'm in a tricky parking place and need the camera, I have to sit and wait 'till the system starts.

Oddly enough, if you just turn on the power, the system starts booting, but when you start the engine, the system starts booting again. In worst case this can mean twice the wait. Or am I just seeing things?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11th November 2006, 21:09
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Which, I might add, takes way too long IMO. Though it would be much less of a problem if the reverse camera worked immediately. Now if I'm in a tricky parking place and need the camera, I have to sit and wait 'till the system starts.

Oddly enough, if you just turn on the power, the system starts booting, but when you start the engine, the system starts booting again. In worst case this can mean twice the wait. Or am I just seeing things?

True - annoys the hell out of me as well Would think that it is probably caused by the battery voltage dropping slightly when the starter is engaged.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th November 2006, 07:59
Supporter

Off topic, but the reboot annoys me too- Maybe a capacitor wired into the circuit could fix that (yeah, like I know what the hell I'm talking about... )- Maybe Stef could help us out on this one? Stef, ben je daar, kerel?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th November 2006, 09:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxbert View Post
Off topic, but the reboot annoys me too- Maybe a capacitor wired into the circuit could fix that (yeah, like I know what the hell I'm talking about... )- Maybe Stef could help us out on this one? Stef, ben je daar, kerel?
You know, maybe this topic is worth its own thread. I'll start one now in the "Bugs, Faults & Irritations" section. Here's the thread.

Last edited by Skaven252; 12th November 2006 at 09:15.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page