Satnav Sat Navs funny 5 minutes - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 20:43 Thread Starter

Question Sat Navs funny 5 minutes

Driving down to Dorset on Friday along the M4 in South Wales and she asked me to take the next exit (junction 30, Cardiff east) and then take the 2nd exit on the left! That's a bit odd I thought as, 1, it's nowhere near where I need to exit. Just after the Severn Bridge would have done me! 2, the 2nd exit takes me back down the slip road to rejoin the motorway!! Needless to say I ignored her and carried on. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 21:14
Kids use a lot of space

Has been known when you choose the shortest option as opposed to the fastest.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 09:34
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
i've had this before on my TomTom - so it's not just part of the Honda SatNav It could also have been the traffic system noticing a way around the "semi busy" motorway?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 12:21
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
read the post closely

Driving along motorway

Sat Nav said to take the exit slip road, drive to the roundabout above the motorway, then drive half way round said roundabout, and re-join the motorway again.

Unless there was an incredibly dense (but very, very short) traffic jam underneath the roundabout....

definately a funny 5 mins
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 12:25
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
As bizarre as this sounds; but what if the SatNav thought that the motorway was quite busy but the slip-road and roundabout weren't, if the slip-road and roundabout are 60mph then that would be a detour around some of the jam (but a very, very short detour)
I'm not saying that it should have happened; just wondering if that's how the system read it!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 13:33

As I've posted somewhere else, I had the same thing on the M40 near Warwick. It wasn't trying to detour anything because I have it set up to prompt me for a detour. Seems almost as if it's missed a bit of road off the map, but it only did it once. The next time I went up there it was fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 20:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The TMC picked up a jam a few junctions back but nothing for junction 30. I've been past that junction a few times with the Sat Sav on and it's kept me on the M4.

I don't know if this has been said or noticed before but on occasions the shortest route is the fastest route, while the fastest route is the slowest? Make sense. In this case I have the difference is 5 minutes. Shouldn't they be the same if anything? I do have photographic evidence from my phone but I don't have Photoshop or anything like that to adjust it to the correct size.

Last edited by Pudd; 9th November 2006 at 21:02.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11th November 2006, 01:46
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Yer that shortist route is crap , i do the same 22 mile home from work everyday so when i got my civic i thought i would test the sat nav on this route has have done with other sat navs see how it faired.
I was suprized to see shortist route was 21 miles and quickist was 22 as it should be. so i tried shortist out of intersted for about 3-4 mile was good then it said turn left down a small road into a village i bypass around i though ok route was only 2 mins longer , then followed it for a bit then an even smaller road for me to turn down came up, by this point I was getting a bit unhappy with it chose of route then i was told to go down this track!!!!! that was only about was big as my car with grass growning in middle etc then back onto the road i usally go on. after checking it the next trip my shortist route had taken me 23.2 ! miles and 7-8 mins longer i was not inpressed at all. Then tryed the fastist road all simed ok so its staying on fastist route for any other trip.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 16th November 2006, 07:06

J10 M25 (with A3) - heading along the M25 it occasionally askes me to leave the motorway and then immediately rejoin it again! Needless to say she's ignored!
Weird how it seems to do it randomly - always using quickest route - and never releated to any TMC reports!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page