AC/Heater Basic Air Con heat up time... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 23:08 Thread Starter

Basic Air Con heat up time...

I have the civic 2.2CDti Se which has just the basic air con system. I have noticed that if you want hot air , you dont get any until the engine is up to operating temperature, that sounds like a hot air blower to me not an air con system! This morning for example it was 10 mins of driving before i had any warm air coming from my air con. Once i have the hot air then it does kind of seem controlled by the internal temperature dial. Do i have a problem or are they all like this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 23:16
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
If its an SE, it has climate control. Only the S has air con only, and noone has an S.

It raises temp to the right amount as quickly as it can within reason. If you want hot air asap, turn off AUTO, and set to MAX temp.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 23:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

ahh will try that, generally been using auto. Will see if it warms up any quicker. Still think that 10 mins is pretty **** though. A friend has the EX with the superduppa dual system and reckons his is quite warm after just a couple of mins!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 23:29

Not wishing to 'harp' on about other cars, but -

My current car, a Golf Gt TDi has Climate control, which if engaged on a cold day, actually has an electrical heater which means that while driving the heater heats up more quickly. Quite literally on a sub 0 degrees morning, I can have noticebly warm air with seconds. The aircon system must be engaged for this to happen.

Does anyone know if the Civic has a similar mode of operation?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 7th November 2006, 23:36
PTR

normally the diesels warm up very slowly... (compared to petrol)

that's why Honda has developed an idea, wich is:

the radiator is cool at the summer and the big radiator on the front of the car is warm (wind/fan cools it)
so in winter conditions the system works in the opposite direction (somehow, don't ask me details but is surely so!)
result: the "little" radiator will be warm and you get quickly warm air in the car but the engine is still cold.

I am not sure wich exact version of aircon has this function..
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 05:43

The aim of high efficiency diesel engines (such as the ictdi) is to minimise fuel usage........which has the side effect of producing less waste heat. As someone else says, it will be a side effect of having an economical diesel, though can be partly mitigated by good thermostatic control making the 'warm up period' as fast as possible.
Things will be slowest to warm for those whose 'cold start' leads of into slow traffic, rather than getting quickly up to speed on the open road, where heat is produced more quickly
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 10:34
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
My car decided that when I got in to the car last night it was 19c
It soon dropped to 12 but hung there; I honestly think it may have been about 4, if not lower!

It was sat outside for 90 minutes; not near any form of heat and with the engine off before I came to it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 14:33

As well as being more efficient, with less waste heat, diesel engines are heavier than petrol, so there is also a bigger mass to heat up.

All diesel engined cars are very slow to warm up, the Civic is no exception.

Brian
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 8th November 2006, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianI View Post

All diesel engined cars are very slow to warm up, the Civic is no exception.

Brian

Not true I'm Afraid, see my post above

"My current car, a Golf Gt TDi has Climate control, which if engaged on a cold day, actually has an electrical heater which means that while driving the heater heats up more quickly. Quite literally on a sub 0 degrees morning, I can have noticebly warm air with seconds. The aircon system must be engaged for this to happen."

This is the way some manufacureres overcome the slow warming up of a Diesel engine. I understand that it is actually an electrical heater element which warms the Coolant - not very good for efficiency, but great for warming your toes more quickly on a frosty morning (engine must be running)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 12:13

I had a diesel Civic for a loaner the other week ans was amazad at how long it took to warm up. With a 15 minute journey, that normally has the 1.8 engine warm for a while before finishsing, the 2.2 engine still was not off the cold mark. I was cold too, without the heating!

I also noticed that the engine, when it finally does heat up, stays hotter for longer when parked up. Both of these must be in part down to the much larger mass of the engine.

Karlak, regarding Brian's post, I think he was referring to the engine, and not the cabbin of the car taking longer to warm up on diesels.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

Karlak, regarding Brian's post, I think he was referring to the engine, and not the cabbin of the car taking longer to warm up on diesels.
Hmmm, are these not linked? Warm engine = warm interior.

I may not have explained myself very well.

In the Golf and possibly other VW diesels-

Cold Day - Aircon in ON position and a heater in the COOLANT of the engine is switched on (automatically). This basically heats the engine coolant up a lot quicker than the engine can. Literally within 2 minutes I can I have noticebaly warmer air coming through the interior vents.

I understand that a diesel warms up a lot slower than petrol, that is partly why they are more efiicient, less heat wasted. I was simply trying to explain that some manufacturers have overcome the Cold Diesel by using other methods.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 12:37
AoS

Car: 2013 2.0 CR-V, Passion Red
Eco display Eco display
Here's an extract from the Accord i-CTDI press release:

New in-car heating system
Diesel engines do not warm up as quickly as petrol engines, which can present a problem in providing the necessary cabin heating requirements both in terms of warm up time and temperature. Honda's novel solution has been the development of a new heater system that warms the cold air using the gas contained within the air conditioning system and then further warms it via the engine coolant system. In terms of heating performance, this system is far superior to a conventional glow heater system.

I know that the CR-V has got the same system ... but I haven't been impressed by it. I don't get warm air before the temperature of the engine goes up.

Maybe there's some trick about how to use it?

Shall we have A/C on or not? Shall we put the temperature to the MAX?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11th November 2006, 02:30
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak View Post
Not wishing to 'harp' on about other cars, but -

My current car, a Golf Gt TDi has Climate control, which if engaged on a cold day, actually has an electrical heater which means that while driving the heater heats up more quickly. Quite literally on a sub 0 degrees morning, I can have noticebly warm air with seconds. The aircon system must be engaged for this to happen.

Does anyone know if the Civic has a similar mode of operation?
yer your right karlak i was told that my 307 had a element to help warm the heater in cool days worked super was called thermal assit i think.
yer my 307 with in 1-2 mmins on a icy moaring was enoght to warm you and melt the front screen ice etc , the civic is no were as fast to warm up and if u put it on hi all it does it blow cold air at you. my work mate has even noticed it, we work in a area that can get quite cold in the icy condsion so he always just to say turn the heater up so he would be warm by the time he got out of the car 3-4 miles down the road. but in the civic its harly warm its not cold il grant you but if i only had say 5-6 miles to do
the heater would be no use at warming me up , maybe its time we got the cardboard out like my dad does in the winter and block some of the rad off to make the car run warmer in the winter.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 16:18

Cardboard over radiator will not work on moder cars regarding engine heating. Older cars used to have coolant pumped all the time the engine was running. Now cars only pump the coolant through when the engine is hot, as to not waste energy heating up coolant!

I find if you leave the car in gear a little longer than normal, obviously not revving it, the engine will warm quicker.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st November 2006, 21:44

The heater unit in the civic diesel uses an electrical panel heater element to give warm air quickly from a cold start until the engine coolant based system is up to temp,here is the honda description of it "The PTC Heater (electrical type) is a heater supporting system. It is added to an existing heater core. The Electrically operated system helps to heat air which exits from an existing heater core. Because diesel engines have better cooling loss during low engine load as compared with gasoline engines, the engine coolant temperature does not rise adequately, this effects heater performance. " i would read the car manual & set your a/c-heater as described to get the best performance from it in the cold weather.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st November 2006, 21:51
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Hondatech,
Is it the same for the petrol or does it use a different system?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 21st November 2006, 21:55

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
Hondatech,
Is it the same for the petrol or does it use a different system?
the petrol versions just use a traditional system using the heat from the engine coolant to heat the cabin.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page