Mounts Mobile Phone holders - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 18:06 Thread Starter

Mobile Phone holders

I have had my Civic for a while now and I thought it was time to get a mobile phone holder as I have been jamming the phone into the cup holder console and closing the lid to hold it in place. Not the most asthetically pleasing way of holding my phone and also I couldn't see who was calling me as I could not see the screen.

I did not want something that hooked onto the central air vets as it would ruin the look of the dashboard and impede the flow of air. Also my phone is pretty large as it's a PDA / mobile device.

I trawled the inter web for quite a while until I came across this company

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

They import mobile phone holders for a wide range of phones made by a company called Brodit, but the reason I bought my holder from them was that the holder system comes in two parts.

Firstly you select the appropriate holder for your particular make and model of phone.

Secondly you select the appropriate clip (Brodit call them Proclips) that connects the holder to the car, For the Civic you have three different anchorage points (i.e. three different Proclips to choose from). One fits on the air vents on the centre of the dashboard (that I did not want), the second attachs to the passengers side of the centre console (next to the covered cup holder area). The third (which I went for) attachs to the passenger side on the centre console next to the gearlever.

Fitting the Proclip and the holder took less than 5 minutes and all that was needed was a philips screwdriver. No holes where required to be made in any of the fascia on the car.

The holder is very strong and holds the phone very firmly, the holder is also articulated on a ball joint which allows a degree of movement to ensure you can see the screen of your phone.

The holder and Proclip are a bit pricey, but I saw it as an investment as I don't want to have my phone flying around my car as I drive and the Brodit holder and Proclip look very professional and very strong.

All I need now is to get my local dealer to get my HFT system to work properly!!!!

Cheers!

Civic Centre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 18:51
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
great news Civic Centre

and even better news is that there are others on here who would fully agree
(try a search for brodit to find them )

One thing to be careful of - make sure your fitter only puts power to the phone holder, and that the phone doesn't think it's in a full blown cradle, as this tends to take precidence over it trying to connect via bluetooth

which wouldn't be good news
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 19:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I will do a search in future before I post just to make sure I don't duplicate.

The holder I have is the passive one so I take a power feed from the cigarette lighter.

It's good to know I have picked a mobile / PDA holder that the rest of the forum seems to give a big thumbs up to!

Cheers!

Civic Centre

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 9th November 2006, 22:53

I put my phone in the ashtray.. It just fits!
(another privilage of non-smoking)
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 07:07

I use Celly Flex Universal in my baby, very nice device!

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 08:27

It would be nice with some pictures of your installations.. I am in the process of getting phone / pda holder myself ..
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 08:53
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I'll do a pic of the brodit vent mount (with a HTC TyTn attachment)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 09:09
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Attachment 216

This one doesn't have any sort of power in it, just the holder bit. It's a Brodit.

I've found the auto a/c very rarely blows air through the central vents if at all, so I'm not worried about messing up the air flow.

Last edited by Copycat; 10th November 2006 at 10:27.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 11:24

Civic Centre - how is it with the clip next to the gear lever? It looks like it might interfere too much with the passengers leg.

I have just got the new Blackberry Pearl and Brodit seem to have a holder already so I am thinking about one.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 11:31
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
www.brodit.se

This is the company who make the products dsldevelopment's sell; they're very good.

I have this one;

but as it's for my GPS unit it's a touch too low really; never had any issues with it affecting passengers and it doesn't affect my gearstick at all.

I'm tempted to get this one as I think it'll be much better to glance at for my gps, but on the other hand I think it might be a bit too obvious.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 14:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi, From Generationgav's photo's I have the second proclip (I think Brodit sell it as the angled Proclip). This is the one that you're thinking of using for your GPS. Well with my PDA/Phone (Orange SPV M3100) it fits very well and is very easy to see.

Because you attach the holder to the Proclip you have some control of whether you place the holder centrally to the Proclip or off set it. To make sure I had as much space from the gear stick as possible I have off set my holder to the left of the Proclip giving me as much room as it would allow.

I have done a couple of journeys with it and at no time have I knocked the holder when going into first gear.

I'm not sure if the extra width of a GPS device maybe too wide and you may potentially cause problems with the gear change. It might be worth speaking to either Brodit or dsldevelopments (01759388589). dsldevelopments provided very good aftermarket service, they should be able to let you know if your combination of holder and Proclip would cause any problems.

Cheers!

Civic Centre
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 14:43 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

To answer pjelsworth's question about how much the Proclip effects the room for people sitting in the passengers seat, I'm afraid I have not had anyone sit in the passenger seat since I fitted the clip and holder.

I don't think it would cause a problem, I suppose it depends on your passengers length of leg!!!

When I do have a passenger I will let you know if it causes them any problems!

Cheers!

Civic Centre
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 14:46
Administrator

DSL are really good too. Might have to ask them for advertising revenue
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 14:48
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic Centre View Post
Well with my PDA/Phone (Orange SPV M3100) it fits very well and is very easy to see.

Because you attach the holder to the Proclip you have some control of whether you place the holder centrally to the Proclip or off set it. To make sure I had as much space from the gear stick as possible I have off set my holder to the left of the Proclip giving me as much room as it would allow.
Thanks muchly for that; answered a few of my questions.

I have to admit I told a lie, I don't have a GPS unit per-say I have an O2 XDA Pro (Orange SPV M5000) so I can't imagine I'd have any problems with knocking it, I just got the top one as I thought without the PDA (I don't use it 80% of the time) it's a lot less noticable and neater; but the usability isn't great at all.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 14:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by generationgav View Post
www.brodit.se

This is the company who make the products dsldevelopment's sell; they're very good.

I have this one;

but as it's for my GPS unit it's a touch too low really; never had any issues with it affecting passengers and it doesn't affect my gearstick at all.

I'm tempted to get this one as I think it'll be much better to glance at for my gps, but on the other hand I think it might be a bit too obvious.

Not sure about having fish and chips on the floor, chap
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10th November 2006, 15:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Have just caught up with the latest developments on the HFT dealer fix on the forum.

When I put my car in for it's first service I will request the oficial HFT fix to be carried out.

Glad to see Honda have finally come up with a fix for what is a very annoying problem.

Cheers!

Civic Centre
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 25th January 2007, 20:53

Read this thread with interest, I have spent alot of time in deciding how I am going to install my HP Ipaq PDA with Tomtom satilite navigation software. Having tried two differant holders both were unsatisfactory. Mostly due to the PDA being more than an arms length away.
I have settled for installing a magnet holder(purchased from a well known carphone shop for 4.99). The magnet is placed between the VSA and mph/km buttons. A metal strip is stuck to the back of the PDA, with the PDA in this position I can clearly see the Tomtom maps and does not block in anyay my view of the instument panel. It is in easy reach to touch. The magnet is round and black and does not look out of place on the dash,the depth of the magnet is about 0.2" so this holds the PDA off the curved panel not to scratch it. Also I feel it is better for security as there is no holder or suction marks for would be thieves to assume there maybe a Satnav in the car.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th January 2007, 07:13
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I just use heavy duty black Velcro from B&Q for my little phone. You can get rolls, squares and 'coins'. Sticks it to the dash a treat and no drilling involved.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th January 2007, 02:11

i put mine in the drivers door inside hendle!perfekt place!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th January 2007, 13:47

The ashtray is a perfect place for my phone!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page