Electrics Dead - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 23:02 Thread Starter
Cad
estranged

Dead

Went to my garage to get the old girl out for my trip to the Camera Club. Opened garage door, pressed unlock on key... nothing. Tried again... nothing again. Opened the door with key, turned ignition on to see... nothing.

Pffft, this is the second time this has happened, the first requiring a new battery. Is it possible that I've been unlucky and received 2 duff batteries? It seems rather unlikely to me, but unlikely is my middle name (no, not really!).

I have nothing left on auto (lights, wipers), so I don't know why it's discharged. Guess I'll be calling the AA out again tomorrow.

To make matters worse I had to drive my wife's Micra to the club. I felt like I was driving a tonka toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 23:03
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Boot light staying on? Lots of short journeys?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 23:11 Thread Starter
Cad
estranged
** Thread starter **

No short journeys (the last one was a 130 mile round trip on Saturday). My garage is pretty dark, so I notice if any lights are left on. I always check that the indicators flash before leaving the car, so no open doors.

When the AA came out last time they said that the battery was not accepting a charge (they gave me a print out of the diagnostics to take to my garage).

So for the second time in 8 weeks my neighbours are going to be treated to the sight of my Civic being towed out of the garage (it has a slight downhill incline so I can't 'paddle' it out).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 12:43

Hi, have you had any trouble with the hatch not opening ??? We had had ours about a week when the boot catch stopped working, car got booked in but before that could happen the battery died and the car had to be taken away on a low loader ( me very red faced whilst neighbours watched from windows) Turns out the relay from the central locking to the boot catch was continuously trying to lock the boot therefore resulting in a slow drain from the battery.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 14:37 Thread Starter
Cad
estranged
** Thread starter **

I've had no trouble with the hatch not opening, but it does sound very plausible.

I took it to my local Honda dealer, once the nice AA man got me going, but instead of just changing the battery they asked to keep it in! Apparently they have another one in with the same fault.

The AA man said, initially, that there was a 0.1A drain, but wasn't sure whether it was just his display. He did say later that there was no significant drain, certainly not anything to drain the battery in 2 days.

My dealer thinks that something is causing a drain and wants to get to the bottom of it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 15:20

The tailgate is very sensitive, it can give the impression of being fully closed when in fact it is not. This of course means the luggage compartment light, which is out of view, remains on and if the car is unused for a few days or used for just the occasional short run it would eventually drain the battery.
When I collected my new car on a Monday, it had spent the previous weekend in the dealer's valet bay and they had not closed the tailgate fully - the battery was almost discharged!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 16:44
mac

Hmm, I had trouble starting mine this morning, took three pushes of the button to get her going. I'll keep an eye on it, see if it happens again.

On a side note, how can leaving the lights/wipers in Auto mode run the battery down when the car's off?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 16:55
Supporter

Bassa, I thought with the Civic that, unless all the doors and tailgate were closed, the central locking doesn't engage?

Well, that's what I remember happening with me once anyway. Nothing happened when I pressed the key fob so I checked the tailgate and low and behold it wasn't closed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 18:57 Thread Starter
Cad
estranged
** Thread starter **

Well I got it back an hour ago. The dealer reckons it was oxidisation on the battery terminals.

I'm not entirely convinced, but the dealer has been top notch up to now so I'll accept that (as well as making sure I slam the hatch firmly from now on).

mac, I'm sure that leaving equipment on auto doesn't affect battery discharge, it was just one more thing to safely discount. I do have, completely irrational, visions of the lights coming on if left on auto tho'.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 15th November 2006, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayt43 View Post
Bassa, I thought with the Civic that, unless all the doors and tailgate were closed, the central locking doesn't engage?

Well, that's what I remember happening with me once anyway. Nothing happened when I pressed the key fob so I checked the tailgate and low and behold it wasn't closed.
Yes jay, I'm sure you are correct. My dealer had obviously left the car unlocked for several days prior to my collecting it.
If the car was left unlocked (which it should not be) in the garage for a few days with the tailgate unknowingly not fully closed it would eventually discharge the battery.
I think the bonnet can be left open and the car's central locking will activate but the alarm will not set.
Closing the tailgate is fairly sensitive - too soft and it does not fully close
- slam it too hard and it will bounce just off the catch.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 24th January 2007, 00:29
mac

Cool

My car wouldn't start this morning. I had sat nav and all the other electrics but the engine just wouldn't get going. Called Honda support, they got the AA to come out, who diagnosed an (almost) dead battery. The AA guy went right round to the boot, took out the hatch and closed the boot lid to see if the light was staying on, seems there are a few Civics he's had the same problem with.
Gonna take the car to the dealer to have a look at.
Another thing related, a colleague came into the building last week to say my hazards were flashing. I went outside and the only thing I could put it down to was the bootlid wasnt quite closed properly. But before I havent been able to set the alarm until the boot was locked firmly shut.
Hmm

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page