Electrics Bizarre radio issue. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 15:39 Thread Starter

Thumbs down Bizarre radio issue.

Hi,

This is a new problem to me, and having done a search I haven't seen it on here. So maybe it is an unusual problem...?

After roughly an hour of motorway driving (I only do occasional long journeys) my radio emits one very loud popping crack sound and craps out. The clock/heater/channel display does that irritating thing where all the segments are illuminated. Then the radio repeatedly turns itself on, briefly pops and crackles like an old record and then turns itself off. Then on, then off, then on, then off etc.

There is no response to channel or volume selection and the satnav wasn't on so I don't know if that is effected.

This has happened twice, each time the heater was on because it was chilly outside.

The only cure I have found is to turn off the ignition and take the keys out. Leaving the keys in and turning it back on does not work, so I guess this resets the relevant bit of the electrical system somehow.

This is fine when sitting in a traffic jam (like this morning!) but zipping down the M4 at 11pm its a bit of a pain.

Thoughts, gentlemen? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2015, 19:17
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Car: 2010 CTS GT
Sounds like your head unit is on its way out.

Could be something as simple as replacing a voltage regulator, but may be a good excuse to upgrade to a double din?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 17:01

Car: 2008 CTR, Milano Red.
Same happened to me this summer. I was actually quite glad, as it explains why my display is going all weird on me sometimes. For me it's a good excuse for getting a double din when i have the money for it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 20:16
Ex-Pat Geordie!

Car: 2015 Civic S Navi I-dtec
Eco display
Get a Priest, sounds like it needs an Exorcism mate
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 4th November 2015, 21:27
turbo's are just cheating

Car: 2008 CTR NHB
Happened many times mate....head unit overheating....will only get worst till its totally gone. Afraid its a new hu Bobbie ... I went aftermarket mate...only way . p.s the speakers in the civic are better than they sound...the hu is poo

Az
Thanks to AKBlackFn2 from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page