Electrics 12V wiring..where? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th November 2006, 10:16 Thread Starter

12V wiring..where?

Hello! My plan is to install Nokias handsfree carkit and tomtom to my civic. So, I need to find places where to get 12V for those devices. Yep, I know that there is a 12V cigarette lighter near by handbrake, but my Tomtom is in the left of the windscreen.. so the wiring will be the problem (for me)

Another thing is, that Nokias HF needs to be wired in two ways. It needs to be wired in the continuous 12V power, and also power that is behind the key switch.

I suppose that the plug in the back of the civic is "always-on"-plug, and the plug in the front is behind the key switch. But is there any easier ways to wire and connect these devices..like near the fusebox or something?
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th November 2006, 10:40
Supporter

The radio is connected with a 12V continuous and a 12V from behind the key switch... ...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th November 2006, 10:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meino View Post
The radio is connected with a 12V continuous and a 12V from behind the key switch... ...
Yep..and that means that I need to remove the whole dash, and radio..which affraids me a lot..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 28th November 2006, 11:27
Supporter

Yep, that´s the downside....
I have removed the whole dash and radio twice now.. It is a lot of work but pretty easy if you follow the howto´s you can find on the forum.
Probably you can also get the 12V from the fusebox, but I really don´t know where or which cables you need...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2006, 05:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meino View Post
Yep, that´s the downside....
I have removed the whole dash and radio twice now.. It is a lot of work but pretty easy if you follow the howto´s you can find on the forum.
Probably you can also get the 12V from the fusebox, but I really don´t know where or which cables you need...
Hmm...
I think that it is easy to remove the first part of the dash-removing-project. I mean the part which covers the gearstrick, handbrake and cigarette lighter. By removing that I can get 12V behind an ignition key (from cigarette lighter). But where can I get that 12V continuous. Do not really wanna touch that bigger part of dash.
Maybe straight from the car battery..or something..

Why cant there be easily accessible plugs allready for this kind of situations..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2006, 05:33
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani View Post
Hmm...
I think that it is easy to remove the first part of the dash-removing-project. I mean the part which covers the gearstrick, handbrake and cigarette lighter. By removing that I can get 12V behind an ignition key (from cigarette lighter). But where can I get that 12V continuous. Do not really wanna touch that bigger part of dash.
Maybe straight from the car battery..or something..

Why cant there be easily accessible plugs allready for this kind of situations..
Probably to encourage you to buy Honda's own (highly priced) accessories!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 29th November 2006, 10:39
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
I'm pretty sure there is a continuous 12v feed in the fuse box...

there is certainly a keyed 12v there. cos I use it

The bad news is that to get at the fuses, you need to be able to bend in half backwards, see in the dark (not enough room for you, and the fuse, wire AND a torch...), and expect to break the Honda fuse puller (which is situated in the fuse box under the bonnet BTW)

What I did was use a multimeter, set the key to where I wanted it to provide power (II), then pull each fuse in turn and check for current.

The turn key off, and make sure current went off too (obviously you don't want that to happen for one of your feeds).

make sure you test both sides of the fuse - one side is obviously downstream, so won't have current unless the fuse is plugged in!

Then (and this is the tricky bit) put the wire from your accessory into the fuse holder (downstream so it's protected by the fuse), and put the fuse back in - forcing the wire into the holder.

It's not the most technical of solutions, and you need to be VERY careful not to bridge the 2 fuse connectors with the wire!

but once done, it's done

Alternatively, for the keyed 12v, go from the cig lighter (only one bit of trim to remove), and feed the wire down the side of the tunnel towards the front of the car (it's nice and tight between carpet and trim, so will hold the wire in place), then run it under the steering column and to the door rubber trim.

Pull the door rubber off, put the wire in place, and cover it back up with the rubber trim again

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page