VSA VSA (ESP) why would you turn off? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 7th December 2006, 23:30 Thread Starter
Supporter

VSA (ESP) why would you turn off?

Why would you want to turn this safety feature off? Seen the excellent video by whatcar mag promoting this as standard on all new cars. If not seen it. http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=221965

How do you know if its working ? well without going off on one!

Answers on a postcard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 00:03

If the VSA includes the traction control you would want to turn it off in some snowy/icy conditions.

For example, climbing a shallow gradient in snow. If the wheels might spin the power would be cut making progress up the hill difficult. If the TC was off you could have more control over the revs making it easier to get up the hill.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 01:59
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Saved me not long after i got it, came off a roundabout and onto a different surface, the back of the car stepped out badly, not sure i would have caught it without the VSA.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 02:52
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
yer good for corners too if you get bad understeer or oversteer . bet you was going fast czech' or was it icy ?
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 11:49 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Bul that sounds good explanation
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull View Post
If the VSA includes the traction control you would want to turn it off in some snowy/icy conditions.

For example, climbing a shallow gradient in snow. If the wheels might spin the power would be cut making progress up the hill difficult. If the TC was off you could have more control over the revs making it easier to get up the hill.
I don't think VSA includes traction control. I can certainly spin the wheels no problem at traffic lights. Quite a learning curve avoiding it after having TC on the previous 2 cars - just floor the throttle.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 15:27

VSA does include TC of sorts. If it senses a wheel slipping (wheelspin) it will cut power/brake that wheel. It does not reacts as fast as dedicated TC systems, but works well enough. I was in mud (off road car park) and tested it out. With VSA off it just sat there spinning. With it on, the slip was much reduced and the car made progress.

Persoanlly, I would never turn VSA off. The one time you might need it, you might have turned it off!
Just keep it on I say, it's there to get you out of trouble should you over-cook a slippery corner of have to swerve around something (as the video demonstrates)
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 16:09
pcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I was in mud (off road car park) and tested it out. With VSA off it just sat there spinning. With it on, the slip was much reduced and the car made progress.
Bungle,
That's interesting, I've been waiting for some snow to try it out. If as you say the wheel spin is reduced but not eliminated, maybe VSA makes a compromise between preventing spin altogether, or allowing some slip which will make for faster take-off on dry roads.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 8th December 2006, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Persoanlly, I would never turn VSA off. The one time you might need it, you might have turned it off!
Just keep it on I say, it's there to get you out of trouble should you over-cook a slippery corner of have to swerve around something (as the video demonstrates)
I agree. I would always leave it on but if there was a time that VSA was impeding progress and cutting power when I didn't want it to I would switch it off at that point.

Sound fair?
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 9th February 2007, 08:52
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.8i Navi, White
I finally got to see my VSA light come on this morning on the ice - I was testing it to see if/how well it worked..
The problem is the yellow light came on and didn't go off again until I stopped at traffic lights. Is this a fault or is it supposed to do that? Does the light on mean that the VSA has stayed on, or tripped out? Pushing the off/on button didn't make any deifference.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 9th February 2007, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtank62 View Post
I finally got to see my VSA light come on this morning on the ice - I was testing it to see if/how well it worked..
The problem is the yellow light came on and didn't go off again until I stopped at traffic lights. Is this a fault or is it supposed to do that? Does the light on mean that the VSA has stayed on, or tripped out? Pushing the off/on button didn't make any deifference.
VSA light (exclamation mark) should only blink when VSA does someting not to burn all the time until you stop your car, so there might be something wrong. But if there were so icy and VSA needed to keep you on the road then there's no problem
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 9th February 2007, 15:59
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
did the VSA indicator (exlamation mark in a triangle) flash (pg 337 of the manual), or did both it and the VSA letters come on (and stay on) in the multi function section (trips / dist to go / mpg etc)

If the VSA letters came on, it indicates a fault

However, according to the manual, you only need to have it checked out if after turning the engine off and back on, it comes back

(again, pg 337)

Hope that helps!
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 9th February 2007, 16:08
King of the rodeo

Has happened to me before, on a stretch of dual, the dash light came on and stayed on continuously for approximately 30seconds before turning off. It was very wet mind and I think it happened again if i've hit a pot hole or some other unexpected object on the road.
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 10th February 2007, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
Has happened to me before, on a stretch of dual, the dash light came on and stayed on continuously for approximately 30seconds before turning off. It was very wet mind and I think it happened again if i've hit a pot hole or some other unexpected object on the road.
I've noticed the same after going through a corner on wet road conditions and letting my heavy right foot fall on the gas pedal .

It stayed on for like 30 seconds then went off.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 10th February 2007, 18:24
King of the rodeo

It did affect performance, car just wouldn't accelerate as quickly. I later found an arm trapped behind the wheel.
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 11th February 2007, 00:21
Super Moderator

@ CP -
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 11th February 2007, 11:25
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
The VSA light only comes on when it's doing something. Normally relaxing the throttle, or continuing the slide all the way round until you are pointing forwards again, will extinguish it.

The snow was a great place to try it out, and I found it worked excellently. Twitch the car into a slide and you can hear the brakes applying (sounds like ABS but your foot is nowhere near the pedal) to get you going straight again. At low speed the ABS is disabled, just as you want it, so you can stop in snow.

Only annoying thing I found was "DING" Release Parking Brake kept coming on.
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 11th February 2007, 14:30

Drove an S2000 for 4 days couple of months ago. Rear wheel drive... 240BHP... needed to turn it of in order to get that donut right!!
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 11th February 2007, 17:00
Bournemouth Belle

Car: 2017 BMW Z4 Silver
Interesting this thread..... you lot have 'experimented' unlike me. When I first started driving it was rear wheel drive cars and no ABS, ESP etc but I have got so used to having ABS etc I don't want a car without it now. (Especially as my last car was a 4x4)

Also my dealer kept saying (emphasised very strongly) that you shouldn't turn the VSA off unless you have a space saver wheel fitted ie uneven wheel sizes.
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 11th February 2007, 17:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Also my dealer kept saying (emphasised very strongly) that you shouldn't turn the VSA off unless you have a space saver wheel fitted ie uneven wheel sizes.

lippy - should that be 'don't turn VSA off ifyou have the space saver wheel fitted' ?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page