Satnav Sat Nav vs tomtom - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 14:48 Thread Starter
Big Civic fan

Sat Nav vs tomtom

On my road trip up to cumbria and back, i test tomtom mobile 6 (latest version with latest map) against the 2006/2007 dvd in Civic's satnav.

I was expecting tomtom to be so much better, but it wasn't!!!!

The civic directed my away from some traffic delays (taking me off the m6 and using the a34), the tomtom (with traffic updating) wanted me to stay on the M6.

WHen you have a junction coming up i had to take, i love the fact that at the top of the screen you get the sign's you need to follow, that is a supurb feature!

Tomtom's directions were poor, the tomtom female voice got very annoying after a while.

The only thing that does let down the civic satnav is the POI's and the maps not bieng as complete as the tomtom's were (tomtom knew the centre parcs oasis whinfell roads and postcode where as civic didnt know the roads existed nor the postcode, which is a huge shame!!

I would give honda civic satnav 85%, tomtom mobile 80%

If we could update the POI's and possibly the maps ourselves, on the civic, that would be fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 15:29
Supporter

Good test and report, stu. Must say that I find the Civic sat-nav great. It may not have all the features of all the others but the important one is getting you to your destination, and it does that well. It's clear and concise.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 17:15
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
I have a tomtom 910 which i use alot as i drive for a living. I have yet to use the Civic Sat nav as im waiting for my civic to arrive but the tomtom is ok but I must say it is full of errors. Some of the roads it trys to get you to go down is comical including going down one way streets the wrong way and private rds etc etc.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 17:50 Thread Starter
Big Civic fan
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
It may not have all the features of all the others but the important one is getting you to your destination, and it does that well. It's clear and concise.
Brilliant way of describing honda's satnav!!

I used to be a HUGE fan of tomtom, having used pocket pc and mobile versions since version 4, but i am more of a honda satnav fan now.

Just s shame about no mc donalds in the UK really!
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 18:16

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 660 navigator after a couple of years of using Tomtom and i like it better than Tomtom.
I haven't got the satnav from Honda, because the price here in Holland was just too high. I mean, 3600 euro, that's just insane.
The Garmin was 600 euro and i can make handsfree calls with it, listen to mp3's, watch my holiday pictures and upload all the speed cameras to it. It also receives the latest traffic info and that works great.
Now i would of course have liked to have a Honda satnav neatly built into the dash, but at 6 times the price of this and with less features, it just wasn't worth it for me.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 20:25
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Send a message via MSN to Kpow99
I guess we are just blessed to have SatNav as standard on our EX's here dutch. Think the overall difference in price for ES to EX is great condsidering you get the Sat, HFT, HID etc etc. well worth it....just surprised you have to pay so much for it to add to the EX spec?!?!?!?!?

How much did you EX cost you Dutch without the Sat?
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 21:48

27.650 euro
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 22:28
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Wow, thats amazing you don't get the NAV as standard. I don't use the NAV very often, don't have any need to most of the time, when when i've needed it i havn't been let down yet! seems to be a good enough system
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 23:03

I used TomToms for years before I got my Civic, but I've got to say the SatNav in the Civic is light years ahead of TomTom. The bigger screen gives more flexibility, the instructions are clearer and the traffic diversion actually works and works well. I'm not bothered about the lack of POIs and for me the SatNav is nigh on perfect for my needs.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 23:06
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_iow View Post
Brilliant way of describing honda's satnav!!

I used to be a HUGE fan of tomtom, having used pocket pc and mobile versions since version 4, but i am more of a honda satnav fan now.

Just s shame about no mc donalds in the UK really!
...sorry stu, I call that a plus feature!
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 23:24
Supporter

Car: 2015 1.6 civic tourer sr
Eco display
Send a message via AIM to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via MSN to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to IWANTACIVIC Send a message via Skype™ to IWANTACIVIC
Well done stu good review , yer the civic sat nav simes good to me only thing i miss from my road angle nav apart from poi that were spot on is camera info be sweet if it had camer info bulit in or even opion for sensible price never had a tomtom unit tryed the software for pda and thought it was poor, but all in all i like the civic nav 80-85% i would score it lol dont mind mc d in france its nearist bank 80 miles thats pain
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 24th December 2006, 23:59
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Send a message via MSN to Kpow99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_Civic View Post
27.650 euro
That is very expensive , thought cars in Europe were generally cheaper, we pay about the same price and get the Sat. Do you get the HFT as standard on the EX?
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 25th December 2006, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpow99 View Post
That is very expensive , thought cars in Europe were generally cheaper, we pay about the same price and get the Sat. Do you get the HFT as standard on the EX?
Nope, no HFT standard, that's also an option.

That's why i got the Garmin nav for 600 euro. I now have the HFT, Satnav and a big screen for 1/6 of the price Honda charges here for the Satnav.
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 25th December 2006, 23:46
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:

That's why i got the Garmin nav for 600 euro. I now have the HFT, Satnav and a big screen for 1/6 of the price Honda charges here for the Satnav.
Thats really crazy, maybe we don't have it so bad over here after all!
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 26th December 2006, 18:24
Supporter

I'm finding the Civics sat nav is pretty good overall now that I've got it setup as I prefer it. My previous car (Renault Megane) had a carminat system which was good but didn't have anywhere near as many user set options available, however she did always say "please" when telling you a turn was coming up . The Honda system seems better in many many ways. I'm sure it will take me on some equally obscure routes but I guess they can all do that! As long as it gets me there I'm not complaining as virtually anything will be better than my apalling sense of direction.

cheers
Bill
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 2nd January 2007, 09:39

Yeah I have found with the Civic over the TomTom that my home and my work don't exist on the Civic where as they do on the TomTom. The one main area I would have liked is the way to add your own POI's onto the Civic system. This would mean you could use the speed camera POI's and restrictions on the Civic which would be a great plus!
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 13:37
Supporter

Quote:

And don't forget to mention that when you take the satnav for 3600 euro, you also have to take the HID's for 1000 euro (for the sport, they are standard on the executive), so that makes 4600 euro...
That was also my reason to get my parrot gps in and use tt mobile. Now have navigation and bluetooth carkit for 213 euro...
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 15:53

I already owned a TomTom 710, and recently purchased a Snooper Syrius, and it's infinitely better than the TomTom in my experience, partly the reason I couldn't justify the expense of the EX.

Something to add though, it's nice having built in SatNav in your car, but you can't take it with you
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 15:59

I wanted one in the car as they say not to leave the clip in the car and not to leave any marks on the windscreen. Also, I think with the traffic avoidance on the Tom Tom it uses your mobile to call and check which is more at least with the TMC it does not cost any more. Not to mention the nice display on the EX showing the track and folder names on mp3 discs & CD-TEXT discs.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 02:38

Hello Everyone Im new here and hopefully a Civic owner soon once ive made up my mind. This thread interested me and I was wondering if the Sat nav in the Civic has camera alerts, similar to TomTom ? Would be very grateful for a reply.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page