Satnav Satnav Headache - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 21:05 Thread Starter

Smile Satnav Headache

Just travelled back from scotland to london yesterday and car was great(BUT) the satnav well that another story.

Heading down M6 when the TMC kick in and tells me of holdups ahead. Great i thought how usefull. Then the satnav reroutes me fantatstic i thought. We come off at junction then the satnav tells me to go back onto M6 but in other direction. After driving around the roundabout a few times i decided to follow directions so off i go back up where i just came from.

The next junction was 12 miles away i though okay get off there and follow some A road to avoid traffic. "WRONG"

Get off at junction and it now tells me to get back on M6 and head back the way i have just come from straight into a traffic jam.

Satnav was turned off and i drove home in not the best of moods with my wife telling me that her satnav in her BMW would have never have done that.

Has this happened too anybody else?

Last edited by davemac; 3rd January 2007 at 21:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 21:09
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
I've never had any problems like that before, its taken me a few unusual routes from time to time though. N.I mustn't update the TMC, never seen it kick it!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 21:18

Yes mine told me to go to Heathrow when I wanted to go back home to Essex. No matter how near I drove towards home, it kept telling me to go the other way. Thats why I use my Tom Tom instead of the one fitted in the car.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 21:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

re

That was a thought might have to dust off the old TOMTOM but feel let down if i have too as thats one of the key factors for picking the car in the first place.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2007, 21:22
Kids use a lot of space

Never had any probs with mine, except once in France; got a burger ok though
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th January 2007, 10:16

I haven't had a TomTom but I had a system on previous Renault which was far worse than the Honda system. I think all systems are not perfect and get it wrong sometimes. Mine has certainly saved me from some long queues and provided sensible alternate routes.
I do tend to use the "directions" command once I have accepted a detour to see where it intends to take me to see if it makes sense or not. On the odd occasion where it doesn't I have re-selected my destination and had the system plot the 5 routes.

My actual biggest headache with TMC is that it tends to be a bit hasty and 4 times out of 5 if I ignore the detour the incident has gone by the time I get closer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th January 2007, 12:35

I have a thought I'd like to put out there.

I do not know how the rout calculation part works, but I have made observations from a few portables I think might help.

If you go 'off route' during navigation, the system will recalculate to get you back on track. Sometimes I am not sure if it:-
a) calculates the whole route from your new position. Most logical. Or...
b) Tries to get you back onto the route you were on.

I have nevere used a TMC system so can't comment on how that works, but the 'Detour' button on my Garmin works well when I hit traffic or a closed road.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th January 2007, 14:02

My experience is that for the initial variation it tries really hard to get you back on the route it calculated originally. For instance, going from Slough to Buxton it wants me to use M4/M1, but I prefer M40/M42. It keeps trying to get me back to M1, and even when I reach the M40 it tries to make me turn south towards the M25. I have to get half-way up the M40 before it stops telling me to turn off, and recalculates to stay on M40.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th January 2007, 17:10
Definately Female!

Car: 1.8 ES Civic 2012, white
I got a Tom Tom for Xmas and took it out on a route I know, I wanted to see if it would keep me on track if I deliberately kept taking the wrong turnings (might sound mad but I wanted to see how good it would be if I was truely lost) it corrected me everytime putting me back on track.

I couldn't afford to get the Civic with Sat Nav so I am really pleased with my new toy!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th January 2007, 17:14
Supporter

I also have only experience with tomtom (mobile), as soon as I take another direction, it calculates a new route, so that works fine.
On the other hand I also noticed that tt sometimes takes a less convenient route than I would take myself...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th January 2007, 00:26
Foglight Covers FORSALE

if you experience problems with the TMC then just turn it off, it should just consentrate on the destination you need to get to. also it might have received conflicting signals from the area and it was trying to work out the best thing to do? technology we love it!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 5th January 2007, 10:36

I've had the TMC try to re-route me as there was an accident ahead, the problem was my exit junction was 12 miles before the accident!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page