Electrics No instruments work - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 3 Post By thegeekster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th April 2016, 10:48 Thread Starter

No instruments work

Hi,

I thought I'd just share this experience as I never found a reference to it on the forum and it may help someone else.

A couple of weeks ago I came out to my car and upon starting it realised the rev counter, display (in rev counter), fuel gauge and temperature gauge were not lit up or functioning. Speedo was lit up but stayed at zero and no dash buttons were lit up. It had all been working hours before when I parked it.

I popped it in to the dealer and they spent half a day scratching their heads over it, anyhow Honda came back to them and basically it needed a software update to the MICU. The explanation I got was that the MICU stores codes and lots of various non problematic codes and events that don't necessarily bring on an engine management light but on some vehicles it is unable to clear the older codes and once the memory becomes full it shuts itself off and with it the instrumentation. Might save someone poking around in the fusebox pointlessly like I did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th April 2016, 10:53
Administrator

Car: x'06 2.2 EX FK3 Milano
Thanked 4,160 Times in 3,856 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
Interesting find, thanks for letting us know

Kinda odd that it shuts down the instrument display but I guess it's not tempting you to keep driving.

Did the stealer figure out why your car had so many codes stored?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th April 2016, 11:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I asked them the question as I found it odd that it would have any codes at all but from my understanding of what they told me all cars nowadays store like an event log of data, it doesn't necessarily mean fault codes. I'm guessing this if for diagnosis of faults that don't create a fault code as such and also warranty situations so that they can see for an example what the sensors were showing when an engine failed I would think.

My car has done around 45k but I would think it's probably a combination of engine run time and number of starts before anyone with the same software revision would experience the same. Interestingly though when I asked why this was not picked up at the regular service they told me Honda only issue this revision of software at failure not before.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25th April 2016, 18:20
Supporter

Car: 2006 Civic 1.8 ES Meh Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy G View Post
I asked them the question as I found it odd that it would have any codes at all but from my understanding of what they told me all cars nowadays store like an event log of data, it doesn't necessarily mean fault codes. I'm guessing this if for diagnosis of faults that don't create a fault code as such and also warranty situations so that they can see for an example what the sensors were showing when an engine failed I would think.

My car has done around 45k but I would think it's probably a combination of engine run time and number of starts before anyone with the same software revision would experience the same. Interestingly though when I asked why this was not picked up at the regular service they told me Honda only issue this revision of software at failure not before.
Yep, because it's that hard to plug in a laptop and update the software... Jesus I don't understand why they don't offer updates more for cars... it costs them near nothing!
Speedy G, Speedy G and Speedy G like this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page