Satnav Sat Nav: Swapping over night / day schemes - how? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th January 2007, 18:42 Thread Starter

Sat Nav: Swapping over night / day schemes - how?

I don't get my new Civic for a couple of months but when I do it will have Sat Nav. I know I can find my answer when I get the car but you know when you've got a question that just needs to be answered . . .!?

I understand that you can have different colour schemes for use in light and dark conditions to help you see the display without glare. I'm also pretty sure you can adjust the brightness too. Anyway, the question I have is how does the Sat Nav decide which scheme to use at any given time?

If it decides on whether the lights are on then what happens if you have your lights on auto and things change suddenly? An example would be pulling off from an underground car park into daylight. I'd assume you'd start up with the night setting but then a short time later you'd be outside and the lights would go off. Does it wait for a minute or so before turning on the daytime scheme or is it on/off immediately with the lights. Does it stay on the night setting and you change schemes manually?

I've read somewhere on the forum that the lights are fairly rapid and moving from light to dark to light again quickly can make your headlamps appear to flash (I recall a tunnel being given in the example). I can't imaging the Sat Nav swapping that quickly.

Anyone know - I'm bugging myself out now.

Also, while I'm on, does the sat nav have it's own manual or is it part of the actual car one? Is there a downloadable copy anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11th January 2007, 19:07
Supporter

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
It changes between night and day mode with the headlights - though with the headlights on you can force it into day mode by having the brightness on full.

More here.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 01:22

Nooooooo.

Serious?!!? They still do that? My 2003 Civic does that and it's a pain in the rain, switch on your headlights and screen goes dark until you fish in the menu for the override -really safe!?! Where is the ambient light sensor that should adjust all the cars interior lighting irrespective of time. I mean who needs the footwell or courtesy lights when you open a door in the day or a night sat-nav set up in the day...there ought to be a test mode for replacing burnt interior bulbs though

My 2003 civic is still a fine car, looking somewhat dated now (thanks guys) but i won't swap it until the technology of the new Civic matches its looks. I want ACC, LKAS, a proper sat-nav screen, door mounted lights for lighting the ground onto which you get out, haptics that make me go oooooh not Oh?

At the very least there ought to be a manual day/night button like the 2003 accord had! Come on Honda MORE FORWARDS PLEASE!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 05:37

There is a Day/Night Button in the new Civic ^^.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 11:25
Supporter

The screen brightness has 11 settings and you can set the brightness (and also the CONTRAST and BLACK LEVEL) individually for DAY mode and NIGHT mode.

You can choose AUTO to switch between DAY or NIGHT mode and you can press the DISPLAY MODE button to cycle through the selections including 'OFF'.

Pressing this button once displays the BRIGHTNESS control on the bottom of the screen and you can adjust the brightness by rotating the large INTERFACE DIAL KNOB.

Last edited by allan40alt; 12th January 2007 at 19:01.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 12:49
Smell My Cheese!

I am sure when I first got the car I set the display to be the daylight one but dimmer when the lights were on, it seemed to remember, and when the lights came on the satnav screen dimmed, now it switches to night (white on black). I do like the way when the lights go off the main dash lights all increase in brightness, if you have the dimmed at night. Does anyone actually have the dash lights at full at night, or do you all find the glare off the windscreen too much?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 14:10
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
I am sure when I first got the car I set the display to be the daylight one but dimmer when the lights were on, it seemed to remember, and when the lights came on the satnav screen dimmed, now it switches to night (white on black). I do like the way when the lights go off the main dash lights all increase in brightness, if you have the dimmed at night. Does anyone actually have the dash lights at full at night, or do you all find the glare off the windscreen too much?
I like the max light for short trips but for long journey I prefer the minimum light. Less tiring but when you are coming in urban areas with lights everywhere I turn it back to max. One of my bes moment was when i whas driving late at night on a secondary road in the south east of france with the full moon beaming through the glassroof !
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 15:27
Smell My Cheese!

That could be a good photo competition idea, best shot taken through the glass roof...........

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page