Battery Battery Maintenance - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 15:01 Thread Starter

Battery Maintenance

Due to personal reasons, on Dec 23rd I decided that I would not use Millie for a couple of weeks.
I decided to get back behind the wheel on Monday, Jan 8th Millie started first time and I visited the local super-stores.
After the fourth store, Millie decided not to co-operate and refused to start!
The dashboard looked like firework night, every light buzzer and indicator, including the auto wipers came on in turn, but the starter bit didn't!
Honda Assistance were called and the AA man arrived within 15 mins!!!!
He diagnosed the fault - flat battery, and using the scientific tools at his disposal soon got Millie up & running again.
No complaints at all - especially the reaction time by the AA, but a word of warning, lesson learnt.
If your vehicle is not used for any length of time try and keep the battery charged up.

Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there...I'm gonna eat the first thing that comes out of its bum"?

Charles H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 18:40
Supporter

Battery conditioner.

Order from:

http://www.djsmail.co.uk/afbc.asp

Charles, I've ordered one of these as you do not have to disconnect the battery from the car. I don't use my Civic so much in the winter and once this is connected you can leave it on all the time without any harm to the cars electronics. Just remember to put a sign on your steering wheel to remind you it's plugged into the mains before driving off!

Last edited by allan40alt; 12th January 2007 at 19:37.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Harding View Post
He diagnosed the fault - flat battery, and using the scientific tools at his disposal soon got Millie up & running again.
Just trying to figure out what drained the battery.
Did you leave the autolights on?
I think there's a warning against that in the handbook.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 19:54
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Battery conditioner.

Order from:

http://www.djsmail.co.uk/afbc.asp

Charles, I've ordered one of these as you do not have to disconnect the battery from the car. I don't use my Civic so much in the winter and once this is connected you can leave it on all the time without any harm to the cars electronics. Just remember to put a sign on your steering wheel to remind you it's plugged into the mains before driving off!
Well I've just connected my new Battery Conditioner (took 2 mins) and before switching on the mains power it showed my battery was on 12v. As soon as the mains was switched on it started trickle charging.

I can now leave it connected as it will moniter itself to switch on/off as required. There was plenty of room to connect with the clips provided and I was able to close the bonnet, lock the car and set the alarm. It's now working away in my garage.

I've wrapped a yellow post-it note round my keys as a reminder!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 20:18
Kids use a lot of space

I've been using a similar thing on my motorbike for years.
As long as you remember to disconnect it before you drive off it's fine
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 21:48

Car: 59 1.8 Type S GT. Silver
I am rather suprised the battery run down so quick as it would have started charging with the engine running. It sound like something has been drawing current to me?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12th January 2007, 22:13
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
How many weeks was the car not in use charles?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 01:32

During this christmas when I went to my parents little town, I left the car in a garage, but it was rather cold, even inside the temp was about 5-7 C.

Left it stopped during 5 days and it did start ok on the 6th day.

That was the longest period that it stayed "nice and quiet" in rest
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 10:45
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Well I've just connected my new Battery Conditioner (took 2 mins) and before switching on the mains power it showed my battery was on 12v. As soon as the mains was switched on it started trickle charging.

I can now leave it connected as it will moniter itself to switch on/off as required. There was plenty of room to connect with the clips provided and I was able to close the bonnet, lock the car and set the alarm. It's now working away in my garage.

I've wrapped a yellow post-it note round my keys as a reminder!
Well I've just checked it this morning and the top green led flickered on (the top green led indicates a fully charged battery in good condition). When I checked it yesterday the second green led showed just 12v (that's after a week of the car not being used).
I've now wired in the battery connections permanently so that I just need to use the 'snap' connector in future.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 15:43
Armchair Commander

bounce75 I'm with you. If the battery had enough charge to start the car a few times it doesn't make sense that the battery would then go flat as it would have been even more charged while driving.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 14:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

On that intial start up the car, looking back, it only just made it. But made it it did!
The day was a bit foggy, so all my lights were on, the a c was also trying to warm up the motor and the stops I made were frequent and not that far apart.
One of the biggest loads on the battery is that starting up bit.
I just did too many too often!
As for the charging bit, thanks for the tips but I already have a Halfords 'Fully Automatic' battery charger that has a 'maintenance cycle to it, but now I will use it to keep me safe in the future.

"Why is there a light in the fridge but not in the freezer?"

Charles H.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 14:38 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

allan40alt

My Halford thingy sounds like your machine by your description.

Just gotta learn to use it!!!

8 months on and Millie is still my dream machine.

"If it's true that we are here to help others, why are the others here?"

Charles H.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 14:43
Supporter

Quote:
I can now leave it connected as it will moniter itself to switch on/off as required. There was plenty of room to connect with the clips provided and I was able to close the bonnet, lock the car and set the alarm. It's now working away in my garage
Allan40alt checked there was clearance to close the bonnet and that it didn't touch the connecting clips. Anyone thinking of doing this please be sure you dont have the crocodile clips sticking up such that the bonnet will cause a short circuit across them, or you could risk some serious damage!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 15:14 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yup, got them big crockie clips as well.

The machine is actually too baulky to allow the bonnet to close so I've extended the leads by 4 metres and now the charger sits comfy in the boot.

No rear wiper to get in the way!

"How is that we managed to put a man on the moon before we put wheels on our suitcases?"

Charles H.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 15:18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside View Post
Allan40alt checked there was clearance to close the bonnet and that it didn't touch the connecting clips. Anyone thinking of doing this please be sure you don't have the crocodile clips sticking up such that the bonnet will cause a short circuit across them, or you could risk some serious damage!
Yes, at first I put mine on at a 'sideways' angle.

Be careful using a standard charger as the manual does say disconnect battery!

With the Battery Conditioner I'm using there is no need to disconnect the battery, hence I have connected the more permanent method for using it.

Running the leads in line with the central bonnet latch gives adequate clearance.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 20:28

Car: 59 1.8 Type S GT. Silver
Charles I am still suprised there was only just enough power to start the car after 2 weeks, it still sounds like something draining the power to me.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 21:55
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce75 View Post
Charles I am still suprised there was only just enough power to start the car after 2 weeks, it still sounds like something draining the power to me.
Well it can't be his rear wiper!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 22:21

This business of having to use a charger is really not on! I know its a safe way out, but any half decent modern car shouldn't need it. My car lives outside, there is no convenient power, and I'm not prepared anyway to have to connect up when I park the car.

Every car I have owned from elderly minis through to a 12 cylinder Jag has started reliably after being left more that a couple of weeks. True, I have been sensible in the use of electrics on short runs, but any modern car should be 100% reliable at starting daily under all reasonable conditions - including short runs, being left for a couple of weeks etc. without having to buy and use an external charger to be certain it will start! After all - thats the sort of journey a lot of people do!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 23:21
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Honda View Post
This business of having to use a charger is really not on! I know its a safe way out, but any half decent modern car shouldn't need it. My car lives outside, there is no convenient power, and I'm not prepared anyway to have to connect up when I park the car.

Every car I have owned from elderly minis through to a 12 cylinder Jag has started reliably after being left more that a couple of weeks. True, I have been sensible in the use of electrics on short runs, but any modern car should be 100% reliable at starting daily under all reasonable conditions - including short runs, being left for a couple of weeks etc. without having to buy and use an external charger to be certain it will start! After all - thats the sort of journey a lot of people do!
Your quite right. I've left mine for more than two weeks before now. It was just reading of peoples problems I thought I would use a battery conditioner as I keep my Civic garaged.

All of my previous cars have been left for a fortnight, or more, without any problem.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 15th January 2007, 11:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I hear what you you all say.

The AA guy checked the battery and all the electrics and found everything performing as spec.

I still think that I asked too much from Millie that day............ but it won't happen again!!!

"Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their bum when they ask where the bathroom is?"

Charles H.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page