Add-on nav Garmin Nuve or ???? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 19:14 Thread Starter

Garmin Nuve or ????

Does anyone out there use the Nuve 300 / 310 / 360? If so - what's it like - purely as a navigator?
What's the speaker like - I've heard its v. quiet and tinny compared to others.
Plus sides as far as I can see - Navtec mapping, v. quick cold start, 8 hour battery life.
Higher models offer LIFTIME FREE TMC. Does this mean there is NOTHING to pay per month, even for camera downloads?

Tonyt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 19:41
Foglight Covers FORSALE

go for a tomtom, easy to use and lots of options.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 19:51

I have the Nuvi 300 and love it. The speaker is fine, and the voice instructions are clear and concise.

From reviews I have read, the Nuvi has superior mapping in detail and presentation over other brands, and I tend to agree.

I seriously cannot recommend one enough.

I do not have the TMC system, so can't comment on its workings, but yes, you have it for life once you have it. The camera database is different. You get 1 month free (with as many dowloads as you want), and after that, you have to pay 30 pa to keep your subscription. You don't loose the databse you have on the Nuvi after the month, you just can't update it!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 13th January 2007, 21:42

The gadget show (channel 5) did a comparison between tom-tom, garmin and some other brand I can't remember..

Tom tom came out best.

I'm moving from tom-tom to built in nav - just for convenience and (un)stealability. - plus the voice control over all the car's systems (heating / radio etc) is fantastic even if you only use it to show off to your mates at work !
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Does anyone out there use the Nuve 300 / 310 / 360? If so - what's it like - purely as a navigator?
What's the speaker like - I've heard its v. quiet and tinny compared to others.
Plus sides as far as I can see - Navtec mapping, v. quick cold start, 8 hour battery life.
Higher models offer LIFTIME FREE TMC. Does this mean there is NOTHING to pay per month, even for camera downloads?

Tonyt
got a mate with one of these, i was well impressed with the navigation and accuracy of journey times etc, yeh the speaker and microphone are a bit weak tbh but in a modern car thats quiet inside it isnt that much of an issue imo, never not got us were we wanna go tho
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 11:44

also its smaller than a tomtom
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 13:40
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
The Nuvi features in this quarters 'Good Motoring' magazine as issued by the 'Guild of Experienced Motorists' (Ex Veteran Motorists Club).

The tester ended up in all sorts of problems using it, from fields to wrong directions.

Once my EX arrives I'm going to try and devise a way of connecting it out of sight(ish) so that I can still benefit from the camera database when I'm out of familiar territory.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 14th January 2007, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
The Nuvi features in this quarters 'Good Motoring' magazine as issued by the 'Guild of Experienced Motorists' (Ex Veteran Motorists Club).

The tester ended up in all sorts of problems using it, from fields to wrong directions.

Once my EX arrives I'm going to try and devise a way of connecting it out of sight(ish) so that I can still benefit from the camera database when I'm out of familiar territory.
Sounds more like user error than the Nuvi to me!

Last edited by Bungle; 14th January 2007 at 16:47. Reason: typos, typos, typos
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 19th January 2007, 21:00

I have a NUVI 350. It has taken me all over the UK and through France last summer with no problems. Good OS which is regularly updated. Maps have just been updated with a lot of improvements. The unit is very neat, has a lot of extra features such as MP3 player, photo viewer etc and it is small enough to neatly fit in a brief case. Very easy to use, either setting it up before a journey, or during. I can't praise it enough.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th January 2007, 00:22
Enthusiastic Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 5 door, Cosmic grey
Send a message via MSN to Miggins
I cant comment specifically on the Nuve - but have had experience of several other Garmin devices. (Quest, GPSV, eTrex)

Issues with routing etc are more often than not down to user error.

If as stated the Garmin is smaller than the TT - consider the fact that you shouldn't leave it in the car and you may not always have a bag to hand!

My disappointment with Garmin is that the functionality from one device to another can be very different. Go to a retailer that will allow you test both devices, check out the mounts - will they work in the Civic, can you reach them easily? Is the volume acceptable?

I can recommend http://www.gpsw.co.uk/ for advice on all devices, sales and after sales support.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 20th January 2007, 01:31
Foglight Covers FORSALE

the maps seam to be found easily (if you know what i mean) for the tomtom due to the amount of them out there, plus the input of postcodes is so much faster than any unit ive tested before. when you get 15mins to get to a destination i dont want to messing around with with post codes or addresses.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th January 2007, 15:07

I've got a Nuvi 310 D.
So far no real problems, infact i couldn't work without it. BTW the 'D' means it comes with the Traffic Reciver, a must for me, letting me know when to miss major roads etc due to traffic. The only prob with this is it takes up to 10mins to update, by that point i could be on the M1 and nearing the M25.

As for speaker etc, i use it as my hands free kit, never had a problem, works well as this, only prob is that messages come up on the screen and have to touch the ignore to get rid of it, i think you can wait and it will disappear, but haven't got the patince to wait.

Directions wise its great, local knowlage beats it every time, but thats the same with all i guess. All I have to do is trust it. Also they come with 90 day 'saftey camera data base' acting as a Road Angel, this works well.

The software for the computer isn't as slick as I think it could be, but don't use it that often, but updating it is easy once registered on the Garmin website.

Also, as it is quite thin, it sits in pockets well to carry around, once in a while this is really good - such as finding your way back to your car when going for a healthy walk in woods etc...

hope this is helpful to ***, its a bit one sided as I haven't used other brands, but for me it works really well.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th January 2007, 18:44
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to generationgav
Does the traffic reciever work over Traffic Master (the radio?)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 25th January 2007, 21:02

I think so, i belive it is the RAC traffic that i have a free lifetime membership to with the product. But other subscriptions are available. It is the GTM 12 recivier, comes as an ariel that plugs into the unit.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm12/

There is some more detail on it.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page