Satnav SatNav POI's - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 08:35 Thread Starter
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
SatNav POI's

Hi,

Has anyone worked out if you can add/hack your own POI's onto the SatNav. The Speed Cams on my TomTom are a life saver, well licence saver!

Even if it means hacking out some of the built in POI's

Mal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 08:56

I Dont think you can add POI'S to the onboard sat nav system, as it comes on DVD but I picked up one of these inforad systems and it works perfectly on the rear shelf, pluged into the boot power socket. It gives an audible warning 20 seconds before you get to a speed camera, and continues to beep if you are going to quickly. The best thing is you get 12 months of free database updates and PC World are selling them for £29.99.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 09:29
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Sadly the POIs on the DVD are indexed and encrypted. So no chance really. The machine can store user-entered POIs in memory - shame the programmers didn't write a routine to read custom ones off a CD into the memory.

As mentioned, buy a talex!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 09:48
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo2507
I Dont think you can add POI'S to the onboard sat nav system, as it comes on DVD but I picked up one of these inforad systems and it works perfectly on the rear shelf, pluged into the boot power socket. It gives an audible warning 20 seconds before you get to a speed camera, and continues to beep if you are going to quickly. The best thing is you get 12 months of free database updates and PC World are selling them for £29.99.
Is that price for all PC World stores? Never thought about sticking it on the back shelf.... hmm...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 13:50

Yep All PC Worlds
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 14:46
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Send a message via MSN to Kpow99
Can you post a link please, thx
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 15:25
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Drove over to mine today, and nothing at all

If anyone happens to see any at that price, can they grab me one and I'll pay for the postage and cost etc..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 25th June 2006, 15:32

I have six of these devices in my store in Aintree. if you let me know where your local store is ill send one over to them for you.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 14th April 2007, 16:24

Car: 2006 2.2 Stage3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
Sadly the POIs on the DVD are indexed and encrypted. So no chance really. The machine can store user-entered POIs in memory - shame the programmers didn't write a routine to read custom ones off a CD into the memory.

As mentioned, buy a talex!
What's the file name with the pois encrypted data?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 7th May 2007, 23:11
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Lumpy Black
Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
Angry Satnav POI p*ssing me off

Ok, so who do I have to complain about the POIs to?

This weekend I finally got an email response from Navteq stating that they provide the satnav mapping data & don't decide what POIs get included in the final product & that I should bring this up with the manufacturer.

So is it HUK or Alpine?

P*ssed me right off today when I had to look-up West Midland Safari Park before we set off because the satnav will show me Woburn Safari Park, or any other number of places but not the 1 I wanted.

So we pay a bunch of ca$h extra to get satnav & then have to rely on POIs advertising themselves to us instead of by default being included on our PAID FOR information service!!

HUK need to understand that if I am to pay out more ca$h for updates then I expect the full POI database & not some cut down advertising journal.

No wonder some people may be tempted to copy & distribute illegal copies of the updated & still incomplete DVDs instead of paying for them.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th May 2007, 08:07
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by apemonkeyman View Post
Ok, so who do I have to complain about the POIs to?

This weekend I finally got an email response from Navteq stating that they provide the satnav mapping data & don't decide what POIs get included in the final product & that I should bring this up with the manufacturer.

So is it HUK or Alpine?

P*ssed me right off today when I had to look-up West Midland Safari Park before we set off because the satnav will show me Woburn Safari Park, or any other number of places but not the 1 I wanted.

So we pay a bunch of ca$h extra to get satnav & then have to rely on POIs advertising themselves to us instead of by default being included on our PAID FOR information service!!

HUK need to understand that if I am to pay out more ca$h for updates then I expect the full POI database & not some cut down advertising journal.

No wonder some people may be tempted to copy & distribute illegal copies of the updated & still incomplete DVDs instead of paying for them.
Absolutely, I fully agree and as you say it's made even worse that Navteq include them.

What with the PND market growing daily, Honda need to keep ahead and offer value for money, otherwise people won't opt for the built in Sat Nav.

Last edited by Bog; 8th May 2007 at 14:29.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th May 2007, 11:44
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
I have just emailed HUK CS about this & will follow up with a phone call in a few days. It would be nice to get the full POI database included on the next release in a couple of months... or at least the full database for the country of release.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th May 2007, 12:02
Obo
Rusty Nut!

Send a message via MSN to Obo
Good luck Eddie!

Perhaps everyone who has a problem with the POI's could email HUK CS too, maybe someone could draft an email so the less articulate members and those that cant be bothered only have to copy and paste it.

Obviously I dont have my civic yet and have never used POI's (other than speed cams) on any sat nav I prefer to manually enter the address, but I dont mind sending an email if it helps with updates etc (when I actually have the car)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th May 2007, 12:35
Supporter

I fully expect to receive no reply to start with. If so, or if the reply is completely pointless, then I will raise some hell & may try to work out some form of prospective buyer pre-sale education about the satnav advertising directory feature, previously known as POI.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th May 2007, 14:29
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by apemonkeyman View Post
I fully expect to receive no reply to start with. If so, or if the reply is completely pointless, then I will raise some hell & may try to work out some form of prospective buyer pre-sale education about the satnav advertising directory feature, previously known as POI.
The fact that Shell petrol station POI's have a Shell logo goes someway to supporting your advertising theory!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 8th May 2007, 14:45
Supporter

If Shell or whoever want to pay money to have their logo on POIs then that I have no problem with at all.... the omission of data useful to the customer* because HUK have not been paid by both sides (customer & POI) I find unacceptable. If I had known this to be the case then I would have gone aftermarket with the satnav/HFT system & installed parking sensors instead of a camera.

I will certainly not be looking to PAY for updates until the POIs are sorted.

*Note for Honda UK: breed of human that forks out cash to pay salaries & create profits thus permitting directors to pay dividends to themselves & shareholders.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page