Satnav Sat Nav Antenna - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2007, 14:33 Thread Starter

Sat Nav Antenna

Hi,
I was wondering where the GPS reciever was for the Satnav (just curious!). Ive got a guess that it might be by windscreen behind rear mirror, near the rain sensor?

Any thoughts?

also how is the navigation when it looses the GPS signal?

Does it tell you the name of the road that you have to turn into? e.g. on Tomrom it talles you that your turning right in 400yards and its called brewsters close etc. (on the text display, not spoken)

Final q for the day. is it possible to get the map display to autozoom?
When I use my tom tom 5 it zooms out at speed, and zooms in when I slow down so can see more detail round juntions etc?

Many thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2007, 14:51
Supporter

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
The sensor is in the dash, below the screen. When it loses the signal (seen this just a couple of times) it uses a very sensitive yaw sensor and the vehicle speed to keep track of where you are. Hasn't got it wrong yet. The display always shows where you are (Road Name, Town) on the bottom of the screen, and shows what the signpost will say for your turn at the top of the screen (M1, Luton Airport, The North). If it doesn't know the sign, it gives the road number or name. The nice lady says "In two hundred yards, take the fourth exit on to the A five oh one". Near a junction, the map splits into two. On the left is whatever you had displayed at your set zoom level, and on the right is a close up of the junction with your little red car moving along the roads. It's neat and very easy to use.

HTH
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 22nd January 2007, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuhe View Post
Hi,
I was wondering where the GPS reciever was for the Satnav (just curious!). Ive got a guess that it might be by windscreen behind rear mirror, near the rain sensor?

Any thoughts?

also how is the navigation when it looses the GPS signal?

Does it tell you the name of the road that you have to turn into? e.g. on Tomrom it talles you that your turning right in 400yards and its called brewsters close etc. (on the text display, not spoken)

Final q for the day. is it possible to get the map display to autozoom?
When I use my tom tom 5 it zooms out at speed, and zooms in when I slow down so can see more detail round juntions etc?

Many thanks
Chris
Hi Chris

I'm not sure where the antenna is, but for your other questions;
Yes it does tell you the road name on the screen, and it also speaks the number for A roads and motorways.
I seems to be speed dependant as to when it appears, and a separate window come up with a close zoom as you approach the junction or roundabout.
It really does work very well.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2007, 07:39 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

MMmm sounds fine erally. Looknig forward to ordering one in may/june.

how many favourite places can you add to the system?

I'm used to having them in TomTom, and use them loads but was wondering how flexible it is.
Just to clarify, I know you can't add more POI, I'm not so worried about that, more the favourite places.

Cheers
Chris

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page