Computer Shift Lights & "eco marks" - Civinfo
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 16th November 2009, 23:55 Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 16th November 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK GB
Posts: 13
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Shift Lights & "eco marks"

I have had my Civic for a coupe of weeks now and have now grown quite annoyed to the fact that my car is telling me when to change gear and giving me "eco marks" out of 7*

Anyone know how to retune the system to possible change thing lights to flash at higher revs, or even better not at all?

Thanks,
Callum
Callumw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th November 2009, 00:40
Jaguar Master Tech
 
Smudge's Avatar
 
Car: '03 Discovery TD5
Join Date: 8th August 2008
Location: Cannock, Staffs ENGLAND
Posts: 425
Thanks: 17
Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
iTrader: (1)
You can turn the Eco-lights off in the display menu, the earlier cars Eco-lights didn't operate like this, I don't know if you can change them to operate like the earlier model. Have a look in the handbook to see if you can change them, if not turn them off completely.

Smudge
Smudge is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th November 2009, 16:36
Supporter
 
john87's Avatar
 
Car: Golf GTI
Join Date: 4th October 2009
Location: Central Scotland SCOTLAND
Posts: 700
Thanks: 10
Thanked 46 Times in 45 Posts
iTrader: (1)
There is only the option to turn them on or off in the Multifunction computer.
john87 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 17th November 2009, 17:33
Supporter
 
jazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19th March 2007
Location: EASTBOURNE
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 1
Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Don`t see what is wrong with them, If you use them to the purpose to which they are intended they can improve your driving and running costs and if you don`t use them then just ignore them but if they annoy you then I don`t think that is the car`s fault, if you see what I mean.

P:S Higher revs means worse economy rather defeating the purpose don`t you think?

Last edited by jazzman; 17th November 2009 at 17:35.
jazzman is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th November 2009, 20:28 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **
 
Join Date: 16th November 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK GB
Posts: 13
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Don`t see what is wrong with them, If you use them to the purpose to which they are intended they can improve your driving and running costs and if you don`t use them then just ignore them but if they annoy you then I don`t think that is the car`s fault, if you see what I mean.

P:S Higher revs means worse economy rather defeating the purpose don`t you think?

I'm not saying its a fault, just something I disagree with. Disagree that I don't have the choice to turn it off.

I know but I go through enough petrol as it is so not too bothered ahah
Callumw is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th November 2009, 20:38
Supporter
 
para999's Avatar
 
Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Join Date: 31st July 2008
Location: God's Leek Trench! ENGLAND
Posts: 665
Thanks: 59
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
This was one thing that slowly bugged me with the Civic, all those flashing lights, speedo flickering and the info disply chopping and changing. It started to be a distraction rather than a help.
para999 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 18th November 2009, 23:35
Supporter
 
jazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19th March 2007
Location: EASTBOURNE
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 1
Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by para999 View Post
This was one thing that slowly bugged me with the Civic, all those flashing lights, speedo flickering and the info disply chopping and changing. It started to be a distraction rather than a help.
Well my lights don`t flash, my speedo certainly does`nt flicker unless of course you are referring to it indicating the speed which it`s supposed to do clearly and my info display certainly does`nt chop and change by itself except when I use the select button.
jazzman is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 19th November 2009, 20:37
Supporter
 
para999's Avatar
 
Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Join Date: 31st July 2008
Location: God's Leek Trench! ENGLAND
Posts: 665
Thanks: 59
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Well my lights don`t flash, my speedo certainly does`nt flicker unless of course you are referring to it indicating the speed which it`s supposed to do clearly and my info display certainly does`nt chop and change by itself except when I use the select button.
I found the eco and rev lights coming on and off, the digits of the speedo flashing (as in one of the seven parts turning on and off to make up the number) and the mpg bar moving across to be distracting. I know they can be switched off, but so what. This together with the info on the dash being at different levels requiring refocusing of my eyes I found to be a problem.

Just personal preference.

Why the tune and snotty smilies of your post? Just an observation and not an 'attack' on the views of Civic owners.
para999 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 20th November 2009, 12:07
Supporter
 
jazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19th March 2007
Location: EASTBOURNE
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 1
Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by para999 View Post
I found the eco and rev lights coming on and off, the digits of the speedo flashing (as in one of the seven parts turning on and off to make up the number) and the mpg bar moving across to be distracting. I know they can be switched off, but so what. This together with the info on the dash being at different levels
Quote:
requiring refocusing of my eyes I found to be a problem.
Just personal preference.

Why the tune and snotty smilies of your post? Just an observation and not an 'attack' on the views of Civic owners.

I am so sorry that you took my comments in totally the wrong way, the smilies indicated my confusion regarding your "problems".

Of course the rev lights only come at much higher revs can be turned off easily and as for the economy lights I for one welcome them because they indicate money being saved which appeals to my nature.Regarding the mpg bar moving across I would respectfully suggest that you try switching to the next screen which gives you a static MPG display or indeed switch to the blank screen which is just that.
Regarding the speedo display which seems to have generally praised for clarity and speed awareness, the purpose of the instrument, I find to be superbly ergonomically designed.

To sum up all I can say that I hope you enjoy your Civic as much as I have been enjoying mine, great car, great forum and great fun

Last edited by jazzman; 20th November 2009 at 12:15.
jazzman is offline  
Thanks to jazzman from:
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 24th November 2009, 11:42
Supporter
 
para999's Avatar
 
Car: 2016 PCX Cherry Red
Join Date: 31st July 2008
Location: God's Leek Trench! ENGLAND
Posts: 665
Thanks: 59
Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
I am so sorry that you took my comments in totally the wrong way, the smilies indicated my confusion regarding your "problems".

Of course the rev lights only come at much higher revs can be turned off easily and as for the economy lights I for one welcome them because they indicate money being saved which appeals to my nature.Regarding the mpg bar moving across I would respectfully suggest that you try switching to the next screen which gives you a static MPG display or indeed switch to the blank screen which is just that.
Regarding the speedo display which seems to have generally praised for clarity and speed awareness, the purpose of the instrument, I find to be superbly ergonomically designed.

To sum up all I can say that I hope you enjoy your Civic as much as I have been enjoying mine, great car, great forum and great fun
Thanks for the reply - previous nightshift and not going to bed, together with Stella doesn't make a great combination!!!

Now have a Peugeot 308 HDi Sport - but it is nigh on the same colour - vivid blue - the best!
para999 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 07:31
PSN ID: OneManTagTeam
 
markygfaebburn's Avatar
 
Car: 1.8 i-Vtec 5dr Vivid Blue
Join Date: 30th November 2009
Location: Blackburn, West Lothian SCOTLAND
Posts: 362
Thanks: 24
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader: (2)
Is there an option to turn the rev lights next to the Eco lights off? The reason I ask is that since I got my car on Monday, I've never seen them light up...
markygfaebburn is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 09:02
Supporter
 
NoNumpty's Avatar
 
Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Join Date: 20th May 2008
Location: Cheshire UK GB
Posts: 4,106
Thanks: 59
Thanked 347 Times in 331 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markygfaebburn View Post
Is there an option to turn the rev lights next to the Eco lights off? The reason I ask is that since I got my car on Monday, I've never seen them light up...
Yes - on the display menu - check your manual for how
NoNumpty is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 09:57
 
Car: 2.2 Sport 5 door black 55reg
Join Date: 20th July 2009
Location: Maidstone UK GB
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
If you 've never seen them then why the need to turn them off?
Ripper is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 11:10
Supporter
 
mrh339's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27th September 2007
Location: Gloucestershire ENGLAND
Posts: 1,082
Thanks: 2
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
iTrader: (0)
You will only see the rev lights at very high revs. So high that many people have thought that they were not swithched on.
mrh339 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 11:36
PSN ID: OneManTagTeam
 
markygfaebburn's Avatar
 
Car: 1.8 i-Vtec 5dr Vivid Blue
Join Date: 30th November 2009
Location: Blackburn, West Lothian SCOTLAND
Posts: 362
Thanks: 24
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
iTrader: (2)
I didn't know if the previous owner had turned them off or if they were faulty as they were never lit, that's whyi was checking if there was a switch
markygfaebburn is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 14:12
everyday i get older
 
Evil Berto's Avatar
 
Car: 2007 CTR NHB
Join Date: 28th December 2008
Location: Hull, UK ENGLAND
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 19
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Send a message via MSN to Evil Berto
I thought he rev lights only came on as you get close to the red line...
Evil Berto is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 2nd December 2009, 14:27
 
lemaiz's Avatar
 
Car: 2006 2.2l EX 5door, black
Join Date: 30th November 2009
Location: Winchester, UK GB
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
They come on much lower in the diesel...
lemaiz is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2009, 12:00
 
Car: 2.2 Sport 5 door black 55reg
Join Date: 20th July 2009
Location: Maidstone UK GB
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader: (0)
They come on lower in the diesel 'cause the red line is so much lower!
Ripper is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 10:39
 
switzy's Avatar
 
Car: 2006 CDTi 2.2 5 door Galaxy
Join Date: 14th May 2008
Location: GB GB
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Computer shift lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
They come on lower in the diesel 'cause the red line is so much lower!
an intelligent comment at last

what a load of sad people - nothing better to worry about?

if you are watching the road as you should - the lights should only have a marginal effect on what you see as they are on the periphery of your vision

.... the other thing you could do is set the display dimmer control to low - then it all fades away ...

mmm - looks like I've got sucked in
switzy is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 19:01
Supporter
 
jazzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19th March 2007
Location: EASTBOURNE
Posts: 1,292
Thanks: 1
Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
iTrader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switzy View Post

mmm - looks like I've got sucked in
yes you have, silly billy
jazzman is offline  
Reply

  Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission I had to "reboot" my Civic 1.8 i-Shift today. Delmonti Engines and Transmission (8G) 13 7th November 2012 10:16
Fog "Fake" fog lights sambuca2907 Lights (8G) 12 16th April 2010 19:33
Transmission i-shift features in letter to today's "In Gear" Doubtingthomas Engines and Transmission (8G) 3 20th April 2008 20:16

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome