Phone Non-permanent easily removable mount for phone/pda - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th December 2009, 19:09 Thread Starter
KRaZy about it!

Car: 09 2.2 EX GT 5Dr Black/Ivory
Send a message via MSN to Wabiloo Send a message via Skype™ to Wabiloo
Non-permanent easily removable mount for phone/pda

I am searching for a solution to a typical problem, but a somewhat atypical case. I am the (proud) owner of an EX GT, which means i have SatNav and HFT. Unlike in my previous car, I therefore don't need to start adding various holders to hold my devices.

I hate the sight of them (why are they all universally so montruously ugly?), and in my previous car, it took less than 24 hours from the time I purchased it until a scumbag broke into it to (unsuccessfully) steal the portable satnav (because i hadn't bothered disconnecting and hiding the window cradle).

However, I still sometimes need to be able to see my phone/PDA, rather than hide it under the armrest or leave it in my pocket. First, because it has a speed camera warning app; secondly, because I like to know who's calling me before picking up with the HFT; thirdly because I sometimes search for things online or IM people.

What I'm after therefore is a solution that will be non-permanent, not attached to the window (I don't want rings), and easily removed and hidden.
I had 2 ideas about that, but haven't yet seen a solution for either:
  • a (discrete) cradle that could be used in the cupholder in the central console, or (even better) attached in or in place of the ashtray. It could then simply be thrown in the glove-cave or armrest when not used. Unfortunately, my phone is too wide to fit in the ashtray, otherwise that would have been my initial attempt (although the screen is then fairly unreadable)
  • a beanbag type of solution, that could sit on the dashboard (by the A-pillar, or between the screens and the speed indicator. It would have to have a anti-slip base (for obvious reasons) and sturdy enough to hold the phone (ideally both in landscape and portrait modes). A flexible enough could even be used in the cupholder as well, hence why it's my preferred solution.
    I found something close to that online, but as it's not meant for the car, I doubt it will be heavy and stable enough: MovieWedge - The Best iPhone, iPod and Portable Media Device Holder/Stand In The World! - Please don't mention the Arkon beanbag/cradle one however, as again, it looks like it was built with someone with no taste, and it's huge!

Any suggestion out there?

Last edited by Wabiloo; 8th December 2009 at 19:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 8th December 2009, 19:42
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Hello again ! ...

The best \ broadest range of in-car solutions are (IMHO) made by "Brodit" ...

You buy a 'clip' to suit your car and where you want to have the device, then a 'cradle' to suit whatever device you have, then screw the two elements together to make the 'mount' that you want ...

In the UK, try here ... Brodit ProClip Mount and Car Cradle Holder Shop ...

However, as the mount needs to be secure, it can't be removed \ refitted once in place - but, they are very unobtrusive when empty ...

p.s. - like in here - http://www.civinfo.com/forum/any-non-civic-chat-here-please/32043-smartphones-clones-5.html#post518877 - especially when you put the power cable in the centre console ....

Last edited by J. Derek Riddell; 8th December 2009 at 19:48. Reason: the p.s. ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 00:32 Thread Starter
KRaZy about it!
** Thread starter **

Car: 09 2.2 EX GT 5Dr Black/Ivory
Send a message via MSN to Wabiloo Send a message via Skype™ to Wabiloo
J., thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I read most of the threads on related subject on Civinfo and therefore had already come across brodit products. I almost bought one of those for my previous EP model. However, I don't like the permanent or almost-permanent nature of that sort of solution. I'm really after something much less intrusive and much easier to hide / remove / move.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 03:58
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabiloo View Post
j., thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that i read most of the threads on related subject on civinfo and therefore had already come across brodit products. I almost bought one of those for my previous ep model. However, i don't like the permanent or almost-permanent nature of that sort of solution. I'm really after something much less intrusive and much easier to hide / remove / move.
O.K. - then your best bet is probably what I also considered - i.e. 'cannibalising' the ashtray - (I didn't do this, as I wanted the mount to be forward of the gear lever) ...

1} Buy a 'Brodit' cradle to suit your device (and a charger)

2} Remove the ashtray's metal internals and lid etc.

3} Make a suitable plastic 'slab' and epoxy it in the ashtray

4} Screw the 'Brodit' cradle to the plastic 'slab'

5} Both the mount and the charger can now be removed !
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 9th December 2009, 08:21
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mine just pulls off as the fixing tape is removed..It really doesnt need it.
It can be removed and put back in seconds.
Its For Sale in the new year
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 31st December 2009, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabiloo View Post
I don't like the permanent or almost-permanent nature of that sort of solution. I'm really after something much less intrusive and much easier to hide / remove / move.
I use the Brodit system with 'mini move' quick release plates. When you leave the car, you hide the device mount so all you can see is just the fairly discreet vehicle ProClip mount. It also allows you change to a different device quick and easily.

More pics here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...tml#post340884

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Tags
mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page