Mounts Brodit Vent and Active Holder - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th December 2009, 20:55 Thread Starter

Brodit Vent and Active Holder

Hi guys, I have just put my deposit down on a 08 2.2i-cTdi S Type GT (pickup Wed! ) and am just working out how to transfer my Brodit active holder for my HTC Touch Pro 2.

I think I will get a brodit vent clip as this way the phone is closest to me so I can read what is going on.

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/fitting_Instructions/Proclip.asp?Brodit=653732&Make=Honda&Model=Civic

So the question is, obviously I want to hard wire the power to a 12v power line and have as little wire showing as possible. What would the best route be for the wire, where is the nearest crack to the vent to channel the wire through the dashboard and where do you guys suggest tapping the power into? I've got some snap-lock type clips that I will use to just tap the power from in a Y type arrangement.

I did this in my Mazda 6 and ran the wire out to the back of the radio then channelled it down to the cig lighter and tapped off the back, but I was wondering how easy it would be to do this and where the actual entry point would be.

Thanks for any pointers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12th December 2009, 21:28
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
I have one..I'm selling.
I'll put up a thread
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 09:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo51 View Post
I have one..I'm selling.
I'll put up a thread
Why are you selling? Is this not a good clip?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 09:48
Resident Civinfo Nutter

Car: 2010 1.5 PWP CRZ-GT navi
Send a message via MSN to NeoFlare
hes changing car soon I believe...sorry I just bought it >_>
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 10:39
Supporter

As Neo states.
The car is being traded in
ITEM NOW SOLD
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 12:23 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Ok thanks guys but the real question is where would the entry point be for the active wire for the phone cradle itself?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 19:53
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey,

Two options for wire entry into the cabin from behind the radio I think to look neat;

1. From inside the small pocket just in front of the gear lever, below the radio. You could drill a hole in the top of it to get the connector through, then when not in use store it inside the cubby hole. Or

2. Get the wire out between the gear lever surround centre console moulding and the lower steering wheel moulded panel in front of your knee's.

I'd possibly say the first option is best as it will be directly below where your vent mount is going and makes a good place to store the loose wire when not in use.

Ian
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 20:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Ian, but wouldn't this have the wire trailing over the controls on the front?

(using the pictures here: http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/154...into-dash.html)

The clip wil be permanantly wired and the clip remain permantly so there wont be any time that it wont be "in use" as such. This is why I want to find a gap around the vents that can fit a wire through and connect to a 12v rail behind it. Maybe I will have to drill but I wondered if anyone who has taken the dash apart this high up has any better ideas?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 21:40
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey,

Your welcome matey.

I see where your coming from with it being in use on a daily basis that you don't want it trailing up past the radio. Only good thing about doing it this way is if you wanted to it can be tucked away.

You could drill a hole up into the bottom of the vents above the radio, this would allow you to have a short fly lead to the under side of your mount. Of course then it will just hang there if your nor using it, but being short will not be too obtrusive.

You could even pop the wire out from the gap between the speed surround and radio facia section, but depending on wire thickness might show a largish panel gap.

Ian
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 21:51 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Ah Yeah, that was more along the lines I was thinking. I guess I will try to avoid drilling if poss and I did manage to squeeze the wire between the cracks on my mazda but it was tight and pretty well hidden.

If I do drill what is the best way to hide the hole when I come to sell it? It will be quite a prominant hole, so wondered if there was a good way to do it? The other problem I've just realised with drilling is that the cable has a plug on the end which is 13x10mm so unless the hole is at the side of the panel, the hole would have to be this big (not just the size of the cable). I wonder if there may be any way to pass the cable through the vents?

The "get into the dash" post seems to cover getting up to the radio, but then how do you take the front part off that is the part with the vents on it. Can anyone point me to which how-to tells me how to do this? Do I need to take the lower part off to release the upper part?

Thanks for all the help guys!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 21:54
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
I considered - and rejected - the air vent mount, for that very reason (that the power cable trails over the dash controls) ...

I mounted my HTC Hero as in the picture (LHD vehicle) - works just fine ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001[1].jpg (128.3 KB, 185 views)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 22:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

The worry I have about the other 2 brodit mounts is that the screen is so much further away, also my phone (htc touch pro 2) has a landscape qwerty keyboard which I use when driving (safer than a touchscreen) and I worry that it might interfere with the gear stick/passenger space in that mode.

It does seem that most of you here use passive adapters for the phone though which are simpler but have several disadvantages (trailing wire, more fiddly to connect each time, cigar lighter always in use). The active one is great (if available for your phone) as you just slide in and it is charging, no wires trailing - you just have to be smart about the cable entrance and personally I'd prefer to do it myself for quality reasons rather than give to a shop so I know it has been done properly and I can install / uninstall easily.

Looks like I am breaking new ground here!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 22:08
Supporter

I will have the one like JDR's for sale in the new year
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 22:09

There are active fittings for HTC mobiles as well, but they all use a 'cigarette-lighter' power supply ...

However, you can make a small hole in the dash (use a grommet), then run the power feed from the centre console down to the cigarette-lighter supply ...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 13th December 2009, 23:02
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey,

Depending on how confident you are with a soldering iron you could cut and join the active cable with a multipin plug.
You could make a cut mid way along the cable, drill and fit a small grommet in the vent entrance to pass the wire through then add a plug to join the wire back up.
Little more work involved but would solve the issue of having to cut a large hole to get the connecting plug through.

Failing that can the plug be taken apart to make it smaller then reassembled?

You could even do the above cut and join but terminate in a panel mounted socket and make a small plug in lead to connect phone to socket.
Maplins do sell PC style PS2 style connectors with multiple connections inside which should cater for your needs.

Ian
Thanks to coolice from:
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 20:21 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice View Post
Hey,

Depending on how confident you are with a soldering iron you could cut and join the active cable with a multipin plug.
You could make a cut mid way along the cable, drill and fit a small grommet in the vent entrance to pass the wire through then add a plug to join the wire back up.
Little more work involved but would solve the issue of having to cut a large hole to get the connecting plug through.

Failing that can the plug be taken apart to make it smaller then reassembled?

You could even do the above cut and join but terminate in a panel mounted socket and make a small plug in lead to connect phone to socket.
Maplins do sell PC style PS2 style connectors with multiple connections inside which should cater for your needs.

Ian
I like the idea of a panel mounted socket if i could get one that looked ok.
Thanks for the thoughts
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozero View Post
I like the idea of a panel mounted socket if i could get one that looked ok. Thanks for the thoughts
Don't understand the problem ...

Just remove the power connection plug \ connection, then solder (or 'Scotchlock') the wires to the 12 V cigarette lighter supply - hole in dash minimal (grommet fitted now to make it look neat, solid rubber plug when you get rid of the car) ...
Thanks to J. Derek Riddell from:
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 21:21
Civinfo Hobbyist Trader

Hey.

Your welcome.

Like I said it depends how far you want to go, but you could make a very neat installation that looks factory fitted, but can be hidden if need be.

Ian
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 21:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
Don't understand the problem ...

Just remove the power connection plug \ connection, then solder (or 'Scotchlock') the wires to the 12 V cigarette lighter supply - hole in dash minimal (grommet fitted now to make it look neat, solid rubber plug when you get rid of the car) ...
Yeah sorry Derek this is also a good solution and is simpler. I was just thinking that it could be worth having something that was easily detatchable (had to take my old car apart to get the kit out - worth 60quid) but then I'd still be leaving half of it in the dash so that wouldn't really help me.
Thanks for the thoughts

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page