Electrics digital display in dash stopped working! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 01:06 Thread Starter

digital display in dash stopped working!

Hi guys

After flat battery problems, a new problem as arisen. The digital display on my dashboard has stopped working. This is the one with the MPG, milage etc. It froze all of a sudden, and now it is is blank everytime I start the car.

I left the car with the garage for the whole day today so they could fix some other problems, and at the end of the day they said they hadn't fixed the display. They said they had put through a warranty claim, but seemed to fob me off saying it will take 5-7 working days. They then said I should expect to hear from them in the first 10 days of the new year! Is that an acceptable time to wait? I would have though they would just replace the part first, and then put the claim through warranty?

Any advice would be appreciated. I may just take it to another honda garage as I would rather have the display working. Is it safe to drive without it (ie. do the major warning lights come on in this display or around it?). The headlight symbol etc still all work.

Cheers
M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 08:19
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Unfortunately it seems from postes here that HondaUK don't always trust their franchised dealers to make warranty claim decisions.

It seems they all have to be approved by HondaUK sometimes backed up by photographs.

I suppose they may need to investigate whether it's due to something you may have done by accident via a modification or just plain failure.

If you want to know whether your headlights warning light works then.................put your headlights on!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 11:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

hiya

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was just saying that the headlight signals are working, and its just the display in the centre that isn't.

Ok, well I guess I'll just have to wait until the new year then! Seems an awful long time to wait though, he said in the first 10 days of the new year! I rang up another honda garage and they said it could take that long, but more likely would be before the new year. But I can't go with the new garage as warranty claim already put through by old garage!

Just to be reassured... it is safe to drive without that centre display?

Cheers

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 11:31
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY

Car: S2000
that is truly crap - so close to Xmas too

I hope you get it fixed soon dude - hopefully you have access to another car whilst this one is getting fixed? courtesy car?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 12:10

Car: 2008 FK2 1.8 Milano Red
dead display

I have problem with mine display with only one small dead vertical line and i got from honda all new complet dasboard with clear plastics in front of all dasboard.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 21:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies. Well they just gave me car back and said I'll have to wait untill the new year!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 17th December 2009, 23:43

its not dangerous missing that part of the display. its an inconveniance more than anything. some warranty claims are approved well within a week so you may be lucky and have the new display fitted before the new year. it is not a common problem but i have replaced a spedo unit for the same problem before.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 29th January 2010, 11:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi guys,

Sorry to bring this up again. I am still without a working dash. When I originally posted this message, I was told a warranty claim had been put in, and I should expect to hear from them within the 1st 10 days of the new year. I thought this was a pretty long time as it was, but waited anyway. As expected, I heard nothing from them, so I rang them and was told that they would call me back. Again, nothing heard back, so another phone call. This was Friday last week, and was told that they are expecting the part to arrive by the end of the month. It has been over a month since I originally went in, and this seems like a long time to be waiting. I am worried I am just being fobbed off by the dealers. I have not had a good experience with them at all. I bought the car second hand from them and it has problems since day one. As it is under warranty, I have demanded that everything be fixed. Each time they are very reluctant to do anything.

List of problems:

First time I started the car at home, flat battery. Reoccurring flat battery 4-5 times over next two weeks, eventually called AA man who said I had a knackered battery. Dealers would only pay half of the new battery.
Rear door speaker cracked on delivery of car, again very slow to fix.
Back door wouldn't open on delivery of car. Fixed fairly quickly.
Knocking sound at front, the dealers say nothing is wrong.
Took the car to another honda dealer, who said the rear springs had been fitted inverted. Told this to my original dealer who just laughed and said it doesn't matter.
And now the dash has stopped working.

Can anyone tell me whether this is an acceptable period to wait for a part/warranty claim, or are they just fobbing me off? I rang my local honda dealer, and they said that warranty claims take a few days, maybe a week at most if the part has to be ordered from Holland or something. My local dealer has been so much better, and I really wish I had taken the car there to sort out the dash problem, but they say that they can't as a warranty claim has been submitted from the other dealer already.

Cheers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 29th January 2010, 12:00
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 i-CTDi ES NHB
Have you tried telling all this to HUK??
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 29th January 2010, 15:51

Car: '07 1.8 MR Type-S 104000 km
Eco display Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmeme View Post
Took the car to another honda dealer, who said the rear springs had been fitted inverted. Told this to my original dealer who just laughed and said it doesn't matter.

Thats very professional...

Get that on writing and sue them or something, lol.

EPIC dealer there
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2010, 23:06
The Guru

Car: 57 DPB CTR GT
Is this a Honda dealership? If not why have you not taken the car to a Honda dealership and got it sorted under warrenty?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 4th February 2010, 16:59

Some of the honda dealers sound shocking...

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page