Phone HFT Nokia 6600 - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st February 2007, 16:16 Thread Starter

HFT Nokia 6600

Ok I know it is an old phone but according to Hondas list, it should work with the HFT.

I have managed to connect it to the car without and problems.

I can even dial numbers, make and receive calls.

The problem comes once the phone is connected to the person the other end. Instead of using the cars speaker and mic, the ones on the handset are used.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or does anyone else know of a fix for this. I’m hoping ive just overlooked a setting somewhere. Either on the phone in on the HFT settings.

Many thanks

Tristo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2007, 00:48
Supporter

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
Tristo

first up - welcome aboard

can't answer your post directly I'm afraid - need to ask a couple of questions back first!

To set the scene - is this the full HFT system (mic up by the interior lights), or the add on version (mic up on the A pillar)?

If the radio is playing, and you get an incoming call, when you click the 'talk' button on the steering wheel - what happens?
Does the radio mute?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2007, 09:17 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

First of all thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

I guess I should of given more info at first.

Yes the system is the full HFT system (mic up by the interior lights) 1.8 Ex NHB.

As soon as I enter the car, the handset connects automatically. Little phone icon appears on the dash within a few seconds. If I receive an incoming call and the radio is playing, the radio will mute and Vicci (as I call her (Civic - Vicci)) will say, "you have an incoming call". When I press the button on the steering wheel, the radio volume goes back up and the phone connects but through the normal handset speaker and mic, ie. in my pocket. The caller can then hear the radio and other in car noises muffled through my pocket, but I have no way to hear what they are saying unless I retrieve the phone and hold it to my ear.

Like I said, I know its an old handset and I guess it is time I updated it. But Im just hoping that there is a stupid setting somewhere that I have overlooked.

One more quick question.

Small blue LED up between the two map reading lights. I assumed this was to do with the blue tooth. Maybe to say that the handset is connected. But the LED remained on when I turned my phone off.

Is this just a blue LED with no purpose?

Or does it signify something?

Thanks again.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2007, 14:39
Supporter

first up, the easy bit

The blue light (LED) - this has nothing whatsoever to do with BlueTooth - although you are far from first to think it might

It's actually simply a little blue light
When it's really, really dark outside it's just about bright enough to help see where the gearstick is LOL

Ok.
now on to the more tricky bits...

The good or bad news is that something is going quite wrong

It's all good up until Vicci says 'incoming call' and you press the button on the steering wheel

However, at this point, the radio should stay muted, and the caller should be heard from the speakers instead

I'm guessing that the phone is actually disconnecting from the HFT instead

There are a number of possible 'reasons' for this - although as your phone is listed as compatible, they should not apply.
It's largely down to Nokia and their implementation of bluetooth - there are different protocols for handsfree and headsets.

As a test, to see what is happening, could you:

Park up somewhere (safe! ) - outside your / your mate's house would be ideal - you're going to need to be holding and looking at your phone, so lets be safe and legal

make sure it's all connected up to HFT etc.
wave at your partner / mate, to have them phone you.

When they phone, and you answer, carefully watch what happens on the phone screen and Vicci's display.

Do either of them indicate that the bluetooth has dropped out?
(might get 'continue call?' on the phone, or the handset icon disappear from Vicci)

Once the call has ended, again be carefully watching - does the phone re-connect to HFT?

If all this happens, it might just be a case up you updating the s/ware on the phone (not entirely sure how though!) - if it doesn't happen as described above, it's a different problem

Good luck!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd February 2007, 18:24 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Ok,
I've just been outside and had a play. Much to my wife’s annoyance, and some very confused neighbors.

I carefully followed your instructions above and this is what happened.

Sat in car with nokia connected to Vicci, radio playing and cordless house phone in hand.

Ring from house phone to nokia,
Radio mutes, Vicci says "incoming call". Press accept button on steering wheel and two phones are connected. Though not through car. One phone in each hand held to my ears and I can have quite a sensible conversation with myself. Until after about 2 seconds when the radio returns to normal volume. Phones stay connected and I can carry on my conversation but have to adjust volume on radio. Little phone icon also stays in Vicci's display. Pressing either call accept and hang up buttons on the steering wheel will again mute the radio and sound the normal hi low beep but have no effect on the conversation. Only way to hang up is from the nokia itself or the house phone.

Ringing from nokia to house phone,
Press call button on steering wheel and say call 01?????????, Vicci repeats no. say call. House phone rings. Answer house phone. Phones are connected. Though not through car. Again, if I hold a handset to each ear I can hear myself. This time though, the radio stays muted. Until I end the call from either phone, or the button on the steering wheel. Again, the little phone icon also stays in Vicci's display.

I have tried tapping the mic in the roof, blowing on it and turned the volume of the stereo right up. But it seems the only speakers and mic being used are the one on the nokia handset itself.

I can only assume from this that the problem is with the nokia firmware. I did call a niokia service center a few weeks back to see if they had any ideas and they thought that a software upgrade would have little effect. They also wanted somewhere in the region of £50 to upgrade the software as the phone is out of warranty.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Or if you have a nokia 6600 that might still be in warranty (less than 2 years old). Maybe I could borrow the IMEI no.

Worth a try.

Thanks again
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 5th February 2007, 19:27

I would say it is the phone's firmware. Many people have fixed their problem by getting an update. There are 2 "services" that bluetooth works in, headset and handsfree. The Honda HFT needs the handsfree service and the symptoms you have are typical of a phone working in headset mode which has a more limited set of functions
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th February 2007, 01:04
Supporter

unfortunately, I think that's it

And even more unfortunately, a quick google browse on Nokia 6600 firmware would indicate that on Nokia resellers are able to update it

sorry!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 6th February 2007, 17:52
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
My 6680 had 'issues' in the end upgraded to a N73 and that works a dream
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th February 2007, 13:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks to all who replied.

I have contacted a nokia service center and they have said that a firmware upgrade "might" sort out the issues im having. Im currently running version 3.49.2 and the latest version is 5.something. As the phone is out of warranty this is going to cost me £20.

Im now in 2 minds as whether to go ahead or not. Has anyone else had similar problems and resolved it with a firmware upgrade?

Many thanks
Tristo
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th February 2007, 14:02
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to britsbest
Get an upgrade.

There are many companies where you get a free "new" phone and free line rental (by redemption) for 12 months on a 12 month contract.

They are not top of the range phones but are quite acceptable, unless you are a "poser!"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th February 2007, 15:27
Supporter

Tristo

from the breif read I had when googling, and the fact that Honda list it as compatible, I would guess that a firmware upgrade ought to make it work...

At the end of the day, I guess the choice is to pay £20 for something that will probably work (but with a risk of loosing that £20 if it doesn't) vs upgrading your phone to a newer (working) model - which may be free depending on your contract / provider.

Do you like your phone enough to make it worth risking £20?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th March 2007, 20:55 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Just a reply to let everyone who kindly replied to my message know what has happened.

Well, I decided to go for the firmware upgrade. It was only £25 in the end so I thought its worth a try, and Nokia said it would be done in the hour. Unlike carphone warehouse who wanted it for 2 weeks.

Well I dropped the phone off and had to complete a waiver type form as the phone was out of warranty.

When I returned an hour later I was told that the phone had crashed during the upgrade and would no longer turn on. They tried again to flash the chips but with no success. I was handed my phone back and told that sorry, there was nothing they could do, but they wouldn’t charge me the £25. These people were supposed to be a nokia repair center and they cant fix it. Well, as you can understand I was a bit p****d off. I went expecting to have a phone working with the HFT and left with a knackered handset.

Well after much moping around and feeling sorry for myself I decided to bit the bullet and buy a new handset. Its been about 4 years since my last.

Well Im now the owner or a nice shiny Chrome D900 and im chuffed to bits with it. Works a treat with Vicci

Only problem I have, and I know its a little off topic, Before taking the old handset to nokia I backed up 100 contacts to the sim and backed everything up to memory card. The old sim is in the D900 and I have the 100 contacts. But there are many more saved in a "Backup.arc" file on the nokia MMC card. I could use a pc to transfer this to the D900's SD card but there is no feature in the samsung to restore a backup file.

Does anyone know if there is some pc based software available to unpack a backup.arc file so that I can get my contacts back. I have tried to open the file in notepad but all I get is a load of s***.

Anyway, thanks for everyone who helped by replying to my original post.

Tristo
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th March 2007, 20:56 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Last edited by Tristo; 28th March 2007 at 20:58. Reason: Duplicated
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 28th March 2007, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristo View Post
Well I dropped the phone off and had to complete a waiver type form as the phone was out of warranty.

When I returned an hour later I was told that the phone had crashed during the upgrade and would no longer turn on. They tried again to flash the chips but with no success. I was handed my phone back and told that sorry, there was nothing they could do, but they wouldn’t charge me the £25. These people were supposed to be a nokia repair center and they cant fix it. Well, as you can understand I was a bit p****d off. I went expecting to have a phone working with the HFT and left with a knackered handset.
Its just a pity you signed the waiver, they must have known they'd mess up reflashing the phone. It was a genuine nokia service center you went to, wasn't it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristo View Post
Only problem I have, and I know its a little off topic, Before taking the old handset to nokia I backed up 100 contacts to the sim and backed everything up to memory card. The old sim is in the D900 and I have the 100 contacts. But there are many more saved in a "Backup.arc" file on the nokia MMC card. I could use a pc to transfer this to the D900's SD card but there is no feature in the samsung to restore a backup file.

Does anyone know if there is some pc based software available to unpack a backup.arc file so that I can get my contacts back. I have tried to open the file in notepad but all I get is a load of s***.

Tristo

You can't use backups from one manufacture of a phone to the other, I believe even with nokia phones you can't transfer a backup to different models either due to different versions of the Symbian OS used.

Your best bet to recover the data is by installing on a windows PC the Nokia PC Suite (you can get it from nokia's website select the version compatible with your old phone). Which just might open the backup properly and allow you to copy the contacts to Outlook or similar program.

http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

Hope this helps you Tristo
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 29th March 2007, 09:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yeah, was a genuine nokia service centre. I even had to travell 40 miles to get to my nearest one. As for the waiver, It seems no one is prepared to take responsibility for their actions now adays. Waivers for this Waivers for that. I was even reading a post yesterday about someone whos door was dented in a car park and low and behold no note was left. I blame the Yanks. Sue for this, Claim for that.

Anyway, Rant over. Phone is dead and Im happy with new one. But would still like the £150 back in my account. lol. Doubt that gunna happen.

As for the pc suite. Yeah I tried that. But straight away asks for the phone to be connected to the PC. As the phone is dead this is not possible. Untill the phone is connected, all features are greyed out. I guess my only option is to find and old 6600 and restore the backup to that then write the contacts down the old fashioned way.

Thanks for all your help.

Tristo

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page