AC/Heater Heater on Auto issue - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th January 2010, 23:15 Thread Starter
Supporter

Heater on Auto issue

Guys

As its getting colder, firs thing i do is get into my car press the Demister button
Heater blower to windscreen (temp set to HI)
Heated seats on MAX

Then i scrape the widescreen
Anyway when the screen is defrosted i press the Auto button - fans kick in and you can feel heat thru the side vents but the middle one there is nothing.

But if i press the mode button (sat navscreen on now) I switch from the default windscreen+Footwell, to Footwell and Face and this blows out hot air.
I find this weird - pressing Auto and no heat from middle vents

mines a 2007 2.2 cdti EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th January 2010, 23:17
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Mine does this too.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 6th January 2010, 23:23

Car: 2007 CTR, Alabaster Silver
Same for me on 57 plate Type-R GT...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 7th January 2010, 00:02
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Try the Voice Controls :-

1} " Climate Control - Defrost "

Then, when things look o.k. ...

2} " Climate Control - Full Automatic "
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 7th January 2010, 07:02
FWH
Supporter

I keep it switched "off" until the temperature gauge starts to move.

Maybe not needed in a modern car - but an old habit from the good old days (when I also put cardboard in front of half of the radiator and had different thermostats in the engine for summer and winter).

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 7th January 2010, 07:56
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I think the auto function deliberately doesn't use all the vents to give more power to the ones needed at this time of year.

Auto certainly blows cold air in the summer from the centre vents.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 7th January 2010, 08:57
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
I keep it switched "off" until the temperature gauge starts to move. Maybe not needed in a modern car - but an old habit from the good old days (when I also put cardboard in front of half of the radiator and had different thermostats in the engine for summer and winter).
Last time I had to do THAT, I was driving a 1980s Opel Ascona ! ...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 7th January 2010, 23:49

Car: 2008 1.8 EX, Milano Red
Quote:
I keep it switched "off" until the temperature gauge starts to move.

Maybe not needed in a modern car - but an old habit from the good old days (when I also put cardboard in front of half of the radiator and had different thermostats in the engine for summer and winter).
The auto setting does this for you. It just has a small amount of air blowing, until the engine is warm and then kicks in properly, thus not wasting blowing freezing cold air around like a lot of people do when trying to scrape off their cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
Try the Voice Controls :-

1} " Climate Control - Defrost "

Then, when things look o.k. ...

2} " Climate Control - Full Automatic "
Or just press the defrost button above the auto button . Takes me forever to work out the voice commands and it'll never recognise what I say anyway.

But anyway, yes, I find there's rarely anything coming from the centre vents too when on auto. I have to go into the guts of the climate controls to get it to use those. It's doing the right thing in terms of warming the car to a constant temperature, but when your hands are freezing it's nice to have warm air blowing on them

Last edited by deadkenny; 7th January 2010 at 23:51.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 00:13
Supporter

Car: 2006 1.8 EX i-Shift
Send a message via MSN to eighteentee Send a message via Skype™ to eighteentee
Is 'defrost' really an option? the kind lady in my 08 EX doesn't seem to recognise that one... Also, what IS the point of the 'HI' option on the climate control when it blows COLD air at MAX speed for AGES?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 01:36
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteentee View Post
... Also, what IS the point of the 'HI' option on the climate control when it blows COLD air at MAX speed for AGES?
That's what I wondered, too.

If I've got the temp set to HI (or anything above the ambient temperature) and hit AUTO the blower immediately goes into overdrive and blasts cold air - not what I want on a freezing morning.

Surely the AUTO function should hold off attempting to warm the cabin until the engine has achieved a decent temp when it would be able to contribute to heating the inside. AUTO appears to be less clever than you would think.....unless mine has a fault.

Like FWH, I just keep it off until the temp gauge starts to lift, which is after about 8 minutes of driving.

God, I hate winter!!!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 07:39
FWH
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobey dosser View Post
AUTO appears to be less clever than you would think.....unless mine has a fault.
You don't have a fault, it does not take engine temperature into account, as far as I can tell at least.
Not sure if any cars do...

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 07:45
Administrator

In the cold you need a more powerful blast coming out so it isolates some of the vents to give more oomph to the others. I think the logic is to give more to the footwell and window vents.

My old IS200 used to do the same. The central vents rarely kicked in and even then normally only cold air in the summer.

I have mine on Auto 21°C at the moment and it's OK. No misting and it gets cozy fairly quickly.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 09:52

Car: '06 2.2 5 door, Cosmic Grey
Quote:
You don't have a fault, it does not take engine temperature into account, as far as I can tell at least.
Not sure if any cars do...
My 2002 Celica's climate control does. It's far better than the Civic's, and only starts to increase the fan speed once there is some warm air to move in to the cabin. The only exception is if you put it on the windscreen, in which case it ups the fan speed to help with demisting. The only thing the Civic is better at for climate control is the Air-Con - it doesn't turn itself on and off automatically on the Celica.

It's also far quicker than the Civic to warm the cabin up. In the current weather, the Celica's cabin will be up to temperature from a cold start in about 10-15 mins max. The Civic takes about 25-35 minutes, or more if moving in slow traffic at the start of a journey. I know there's the petrol/diesel difference, but even so it seems a significant time difference.

Last edited by Nutter; 8th January 2010 at 09:53. Reason: Typo (can - fan)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 8th January 2010, 10:54
FWH
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter View Post
It's also far quicker than the Civic to warm the cabin up. In the current weather, the Celica's cabin will be up to temperature from a cold start in about 10-15 mins max. The Civic takes about 25-35 minutes, or more if moving in slow traffic at the start of a journey. I know there's the petrol/diesel difference, but even so it seems a significant time difference.
It is the petrol / diesel thing as you say.

Mine takes 10 mins max, even at -15 like today.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 9th January 2010, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobey dosser View Post
That's what I wondered, too.

If I've got the temp set to HI (or anything above the ambient temperature) and hit AUTO the blower immediately goes into overdrive and blasts cold air - not what I want on a freezing morning.

Surely the AUTO function should hold off attempting to warm the cabin until the engine has achieved a decent temp when it would be able to contribute to heating the inside. AUTO appears to be less clever than you would think.....unless mine has a fault.
Maybe it differs with models. My 08 EX Civic just has the fan running very low at the moment until the engine is warm then starts blasting. I set the temp to 20C and it's been -4C ambient when I get in the car!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 9th January 2010, 19:21

Car: 2006 1.8 5dr EX, Cosmic Grey
The car does only start blowing when it reaches nearer the temperature but I think you will find that when you set to "Lo" or "Hi" this tells the system to turn the fans on full and so the temperature regulator is bypassed.

Try just below high (29/28!?) - it heats just as fast as High in this weather and you don't get a shot of cold air!!!

Last edited by nathanjfox; 9th January 2010 at 19:26.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 9th January 2010, 19:34

Car: '06 2.2 5 door, Cosmic Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjfox View Post
The car does only start blowing when it reaches nearer the temperature but I think you will find that when you set to "Lo" or "Hi" this tells the system to turn the fans on full and so the temperature regulator is bypassed.

Try just below high (29/28!?) - it heats just as fast as High in this weather and you don't get a shot of cold air!!!
Nope, I have it set to around 22-23, and it starts blasting cold air almost straight away.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 9th January 2010, 20:00

Mine does the same, it's an MY09 EX GT, and immediately start to blast cold air, and the central vents seem to do very little unless set to full face action (sounds like an adult movie ). I also regularly notice hot air blowing in, then cold air in, then hot air etc. as it tries to hold on to the set temperature. It's quite annoying and I am wondering if it needs attention, or I have also wondered if the glass roof loses heat more easily and makes it hard for the system to maintain a set temperature?

I switched to the Civic from a ford focus with dual climate and this was much better system. It operated to half a degree instead of whole ones, and delayed itself by around 10 seconds when first switched on to avoid pumping in cold air. Once up to temp (usually set at 21oC) it also held it there very well and I never felt any variation between hot and cold air as it maintained the desired temp. I think Honda need to improve on the current system in any future models.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10th January 2010, 07:33
Administrator

Strange, my MY09 ES GT doesn't start to 'puff' any air until it's warmed up a little.

I have mine on 21°C both sides with 'Auto'.

Once the little dashboard blue light goes out (Automatics Only feature) it starts a trickle of warm air which gets stronger as the engine warms up fully.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10th January 2010, 10:55

I wonder if it's just 08 models and newer that do it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteentee View Post
Also, what IS the point of the 'HI' option on the climate control when it blows COLD air at MAX speed for AGES?
If your aim is to get the car warm fast, you shouldn't mess with the HI option. That just seems to be an override to turn the fan up to max speed. It's never going to be able to provide a blast of hot air when the engine is cold. It's useful as a demist option though when the weather isn't too cold.

Really you shouldn't need to mess about with climate control stuff once you've set the temperature you want. Just scrape the windows, and drive. After a minute I find it's nice and warm with it just set at 20C on AUTO.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page