Battery Battery booster? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 10:26 Thread Starter
living the dream

Car: 2008 CTR Silver
Send a message via MSN to Brungle
Battery booster?

Can anyone recommend a decent battery booster suitable for the civic and roughly how much they are? are they worth having? if not how much am I looking at for a decent battery (although this may not be the root cause of the flat battery after 5 days..) Last time my car was at the dealers they mentioned my battery was low and they charged it. I had been using it frequently at the time too.

My 06 plate 1.8 EX is out of warranty and do not want to spend £80 for a dealer diagnostic when I could put this towards a new battery or a booster. I notice that the Honda Happiness quotes £80 for a battery, does this include labor? http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/p...dpricerepairs/

As there seems to be numerous causes for the flat battery issue, auto wipers/lights, fuse box (seems to be on 08s) and the software update.

I do have breakdown cover but if a booster can get me going within 15mins then it sure beats waiting 3 hours for the AA.

cheers
Rich

Last edited by Brungle; 12th January 2010 at 10:48.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 13:35
Foglight Covers FORSALE

i have an optimate, which is more for motorcycles, but it does a top job of keeping you battery fully charged without damaging it. i also have a jump starter which until i got hit was in the car just in case. when i get my car back i will be swaping the battery for a spare which i have and i will be charging the original one backup. may be worth getting one from a breakers which is only a few months old and swapping them in the winter?
Thanks to gray52 from:
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 20:54 Thread Starter
living the dream
** Thread starter **

thanks

is there anywhere that I can find the specification for the battery? I cant even get mine to jump start now, its parked on the road so I cant use a battery charger either. and to top it all off there is a problem with my breakdown cover who can't verify my account and want credit card details (so they can charge me) before they will recover it unless I ring in office hours.

very fed up with this I want a fresh battery now and not have to worry about if the car will start for me....

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 21:02
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brungle View Post
I notice that the Honda Happiness quotes £80 for a battery, does this include labor? Fixed Price Repairs | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK)
All the prices quoted in your link include labour.
Thanks to Dimplyred from:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 21:56
Foglight Covers FORSALE

Mine packed up a 18 months and got a new battery. It's now over 3 years and on it's way out again. I'm going to try and save it with my optimate. I would get the biggest battery to fit in the space. Try halfords as they offer 3 & 5 year warrentys I bet Honda only give 12 months which is a waste of time as we all know with a civic.
Thanks to gray52 from:
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 22:09
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Batteries do have a variable and somewhat unpredictable lifespan - some find the the 'internals' fail after a year or two - some get ten years or more ...

That applies to all makes, so the better the guarantee you get, the more peace of mind you have ..
Thanks to J. Derek Riddell from:
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 23:00 Thread Starter
living the dream
** Thread starter **

anyone use a solar powered trickle charger that plugs into the cig lighter socket, I'm thinking or putting one in the boot/parcel shelf.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th January 2010, 23:19

Quote:
anyone use a solar powered trickle charger that plugs into the cig lighter socket, I'm thinking or putting one in the boot/parcel shelf.
You'll barely get enough to charge a mobile 'phone, with one of those ...

For anyone who is really serious about battery charge \ engine temperature \ cabin temperature on winter mornings, there is this :-

DEFA Warmup
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 16:34 Thread Starter
living the dream
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
You'll barely get enough to charge a mobile 'phone, with one of those ...

For anyone who is really serious about battery charge \ engine temperature \ cabin temperature on winter mornings, there is this :-

DEFA Warmup
looks interesting, how much are they? (very expensive I'm guessing) I can't seem to find a price on the site.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 20:10

Quote:
looks interesting, how much are they? (very expensive I'm guessing) I can't seem to find a price on the site.
That's the manufacturer's site ...

Here is a link to a Norwegian retailer - circa £350 for a battery charger and cabin warmer kit, with all cables and the in-car control unit (can be set to switch on \ off at a chosen time, or at a chosen temperature) ...

That price includes 25% Norwegian VAT (which you would escape) - but then there is delivery and 17.5% UK VAT - so, should still be about £350 delivered ...

If you want the engine block warmer as well, that's an extra (but not expensive) - also, there are larger capacity cabin heaters, that cost a little more - and you can get remote controlled packages as well ...

Installation time is given as "up to 2 hours" (by a professional) ...

DEFA Warm-Up system 1350W - Bilradiospesialisten - Pakker DEFA Warm-Up

p.s. - I'm seriously considering getting the "Full Monty" installed in my Civic - 'Global Warming' ?, I don't think so ! ...

Last edited by J. Derek Riddell; 13th January 2010 at 20:14. Reason: the p.s. ...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 20:50
Supporter

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
I'm getting the full Defa Warm-Up system next week. Already got an engine and interior heater (missing the battery charger + control unit) since the car was new 2,5 years ago. Never had any problems with the battery, but since I mostly drive short trips, I've been really careful not to use much of the electrics - especially in winter.

This system really rocks in sub zero temperatures. Car starts as easy as in summer, and is already nice and warm inside when you're starting Highly recommended. You'll be addicted before you know it...!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 13th January 2010, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten View Post
I'm getting the full Defa Warm-Up system next week. Already got an engine and interior heater (missing the battery charger + control unit) since the car was new 2,5 years ago. Never had any problems with the battery, but since I mostly drive short trips, I've been really careful not to use much of the electrics - especially in winter.

This system really rocks in sub zero temperatures. Car starts as easy as in summer, and is already nice and warm inside when you're starting Highly recommended. You'll be addicted before you know it...!
As a serious 'global warming \ climate change \ etc.' "denier", I considered it when I originally bought my Civic - but, reading informed sources that I trusted (not the 'IPCC' !), they all said 'no real change whatsoever' since 2000 - so, I desisted ...

Now, the same sources are warning of up to 30 years of cooling ! - and I find the case reasonably compelling - so, DEFA is now under serious consideration ...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 20th January 2010, 16:29

I've been thinking of getting a battery charger/conditioner. Ctek users, what's the Multi XS 3600 battery conditioner like? Can you easily shut the bonnet with the power wire of the 3600 unit dangling out (connected to a mains socket nearby)?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd January 2010, 17:44
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.8i Navi, White
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla View Post
I've been thinking of getting a battery charger/conditioner. Ctek users, what's the Multi XS 3600 battery conditioner like? Can you easily shut the bonnet with the power wire of the 3600 unit dangling out (connected to a mains socket nearby)?
I bought 2 of these to keep the batteries charged up on our boat and have had no problems.
A couple of years ago I bought an XS800 to keep the battery charged up on my MG Roadster as I was fed up with the battery being flat when I came to use the car.
Over Christmas I had a few days of trying to de-snow the Civic with full blower and heated rear screen running, the next time I came to it the battery was flat - just enough to make the interior light flash. I connected the XS 800 using the crocodile clips (the MG is connected using the permanent connections), within a few hours there was enough to start the car, but I left it connected for 24 hours just to be sure. I didn't fully close the bonnet as the car was next to the house under the carport, but I think I could have done. Alternative would be to drop the wire down through the engine bay to the floor. Didn't disconnect the battery from the car while charging, I don'y think it is necessary with oneof these.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th January 2010, 03:19

I was quite excited to see that Ctek do a cigarette lighter accessory cable, allowing it to charge via the cig power socket. But then I realised the Civic cig lighter doesn't supply power with the ignition off, so that accessory cable wouldn't actually work...Still, I definitely need to get a Ctek conditioner as I sometimes don't use the car for a few days and then when I do use it, it's for fairly short journeys.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th January 2010, 09:30 Thread Starter
living the dream
** Thread starter **

Car wouldn't start again this morning it's been stood most of the weekend and I've been cleaning the interior it seems it can handle the tiny bit of strain from the boot light. New battery time I think. I'm now Stood waiting for a train late for work....
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th January 2010, 09:49
Supporter

Car: 2011 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI
I now have the full Defa WarmUp package installed in my car Engine heater, interior heater, battery charger and a programmable control unit (placed in the compartment where the ashtray used to be...). I keep it programmed to heat the engine and interior every morning before I pick up the car at 08.00 and evening at 16.00 after I finish work. At the same time the heaters are working, the battery is beeing charged. When/if the battery is fully charged, the charger stops automatically.

No worries about short trips/minimal charging/flat battery any longer...
No worries about extensive wear on the engine while starting it cold...
No worries about getting into the car even if it's -20C outside...

A nice feature to have during a long and cold winter here in Scandinavia
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 25th January 2010, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten View Post
I now have the full Defa WarmUp package installed in my car Engine heater, interior heater, battery charger and a programmable control unit (placed in the compartment where the ashtray used to be...). I keep it programmed to heat the engine and interior every morning before I pick up the car at 08.00 and evening at 16.00 after I finish work. At the same time the heaters are working, the battery is beeing charged. When/if the battery is fully charged, the charger stops automatically. No worries about short trips/minimal charging/flat battery any longer ... No worries about extensive wear on the engine while starting it cold ... No worries about getting into the car even if it's -20C outside ... A nice feature to have during a long and cold winter here in Scandinavia
Mmmmm - I'm jealous ! ...

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page