Electrics Boot on civic will not open - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2nd March 2017, 16:56 Thread Starter

Boot on civic will not open

Hi folks, looking for some help here. I've a 2009 civic I-vetch which I've had for 4 years and it's been a great car with no problems up until the past few months, my boot no longer opens from the outside despite the rest of my doors working fine, I searched a few forums and at first thought it was the boot switch its Kd, so I bought a new boot switch from Honda, had a mechanic fried for the new part but still the boot does not open, so he has since taken the inside panel off the drivers door and tested the wiring which seems ok, I've read this is a common fault in civics and could well be the driver door actuator, has anyone else has this problem and if so, how easy is this to fix/replace, fairling that I am not sure what else the problem could be? The locking mechanism itself seems to work when I open it from The inside which makes me think it may be the actuator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 4th March 2017, 09:57

Just had my drivers door actuator changed two weeks ago for exactly the same issue. The boot now opens fine.

Only niggle I have is that yesterday I was still hearing the 'phantom locks' where the car will make the locking sound at random so it's not yet fully resolved.

But at least the boot opens!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 4th March 2017, 12:52

More info now I have some time.

My first symptoms were that I unlocked the car and when I went to open the boot I found it was locked. Tried a few times with the remote but no luck although the doors worked fine. As you said, when I used the internal switch on the drivers door that did unlock the boot. I also noticed that whilst I was driving home the door would lock/unlock a few times on their own. The car was okay then for almost a week when again the boot failed to open and this time I couldn't even unlock it from the inside. I also found that the switch had stopped working altogether but the key still opened all the doors fine. The phantom locking and unlocking continued.

The following week after extensive searches on this forum (loads of stuff about it) I was pretty sure I needed the drivers door actuator. Being a tight wad I thought about buying a used one from eBay and fitting it myself but in the end bottled it and went to a local recommended auto electrician who I hoped would be cheaper than a visit to Honda. I explained the problem in detail and even went to the t outlet of printing all the posts and threads from this site for him. I understand that professionals must get sick of people saying 'I've read on the internet' etc. But unfortunately he started by stripping and testing the boot lock and wiring which cost an hour and a half labour and funnily enough turned up nothing at all. He then called me to say he would order the actuator and fit it if I wanted but that he couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem. I agreed and the work went ahead. The part was £60 and took an hour to fit which brought the total to £190 including labour and VAT. More than I had doped but it all seemed to be working fine so I wasn't too bothered and was just relieved to get it sorted.

Two weeks later and the phantom locking has returned. All the doors and boot still work fine though and when the car is locked it remains locked so it's more of an annoyance than a problem at the moment. I do wonder if the actuator was not fitted correctly or if there could be a loose connection somewhere but time will tell. If it gets worse it'll need looking at again.

In hindsight I actually wish I had just gone to the local Honda dealer. Apparently it's a know problem and they can sort it quite easily (if not very cheaply). My electrician had never encountered this although he did say that when he ordered the part he was told that they sell a lot of them.

Hope that is useful and I'd be very intr step to hear how you get on with this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 19th March 2017, 18:27

Any updates on this? Mine played up again today.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 14th June 2017, 16:13

Car: 2007 Type S GT 2.2
My boot is being replaced due to accident pray to God I don't have this problem...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page