TMC TMC - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 13:11 Thread Starter

TMC

Anyone had any problems with the TMC not picking up a signal? Mine worked for about a month and now always seams to be in scan mode.
Not that the traffic reports were all that good, but I would still like it to work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 13:44
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Yes, I have had this (in North Lincs). I go up there most weeks, and the TMC icon goes pink. When I look at the TMC status, it keeps flicking from one source to another without locking on to one frequency and grabbing the (mostly 4 hours out of date) data.

Yet down in the Midlands, it locks onto 106.0 Mhz, and keeps loading up to 250 points before reseting back to zero and starting again (like it should do). In the midlands, I get strength 7 or 8, and all the error fields at zero.

What are you getting?

To get to the TMC status:

1. Give the car the 3 fingered salute:

3finger.jpg

2. Press Unit Check:

tmc1.jpg

3: Press TMC Status:

tmc2.jpg

4: Observe this screen for at least 5 minutes:

tmc3.jpg
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 14:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I was in the diagnosis menu the other day, it just seams to keep scanning and can't lock onto a signal.
A couple of times the field strength has went to 12 as it stops a one frequency and I get some numbers in the Error Rate Correction and Uncorrected Blocks/Min but after a few mins it just starts scanning again

It was working fine until I went to the Lake District in May and had no radio reception but I thought it would start working again when it picked up a signal...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 14:18
Administrator

Eco display
Is this because the frequency it stops on is not TMC? Mine does this - the strength goes high, then the error correction goes to 1, and it moves on.

Mine always recovers from Lincs after about 30 minutes. Are you in a civilised area at the moment?
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 18:12

The key to this is the station (or stations) that transmit the RDS-TMC data signal.

As far as I know, the Civic uses data provided by the RAC and TrafficMaster, based on the fixed cameras you see every two miles along motorways and A roads. But I haven't yet found out where it is transmitted from.

The longer established data provider is ITIS, who use a totally different method for gathering their traffic data, based on delays to Eddie Stobart trucks and national Express coaches. That data is transmitted via Classic FM and has blackspots in the North of Scotland and in a wide band across the country centred in Newcastle.

The thing I find most strange about the traffic incident list is that its information suggests a general area that may be many miles from the actual problem (and on a totally different road). It is not until you drill down to the detail level that you get the actual road where the problem occurs. Also, it omits the Trafficmaster estimate of likely delay that was most useful in deciding whether to reroute or not.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 19:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I live about 10 mile from Glasgow (lol not sure if that's civilised) so should be getting a good signal. Radio reception is mostly good and the RDS on the stereo appears to be working...

Pottsy, u say your TMC takes about 30 minutes to recover? I wonder if that could be my problem, as my normal journey to work only takes about 15 minutes, perhaps that's not long enough for the system to pick up a channel......
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 20:35
Administrator

Eco display
Yes, it's odd. In Lincs now, and the TMC was OK all the way up. But it will take 30 minutes of driving to recover tomorrow morning. I'll analyse and report back tomorrow...
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 20:48

Mine has been working fine (live on the Wirral in Cheshire), except when I visited the Lakes 2 weeks ago. Got to Lancaster (M6) and had no TMC signal from there to the Lakes. No signal all the way back, frustrating becuase ther was a 10mile tailback @ the M55. Next day I used the car for work, everything was fine
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 20:52
Cad
estranged

My TMC system has been very reliable, though the place names it gives are not always the place names I know.

The TMC Website shows the actual roads they cover (and there's a May 2005 press release about their hookup with Honda which is fairly interesting).

The TMCForum also has some interesting technical data.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd July 2006, 21:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

LOL had a look at the Trafficmaster coverage map, apparently there are no roads in Scotland north of Perth except the one to Aberdeen.

1st class coverage there TrafficMaster
Thanks for the help so far guys much appreciated....
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 4th July 2006, 00:05

The trouble with the trafficmaster map is that it shows the roads that are covered, but doesn't show the coverage of the commercial radio transmitters that send the information to your car.

For comparison, the ITIS map is shown at http://www.itisholdings.co.uk/site_images/rdspic.gif The white bits of the map are the areas not covered by the RDS-TMC transmissions by Classic FM

The difference is shown (for example) at Newcastle, where the A1 is covered by the TMC data, but if you are within the general area of Newcastle, you won't get any information about traffic problems on the A1 there (but you will if you are in Yorkshire).

So any information about what station is transmitting the RAC/Trafficmaster data should be very helpful.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 4th July 2006, 07:17
Explosive Mind Unleashed

Send a message via MSN to Kpow99
Not had any major problems with mine, although If you start the Traffic event list it always shows the same old messages rather than the new ones until you get going, it did help me on SUnday when there was a crash on the M25. Knew there would be a problem as the matrix boards had shown the problem 5 jcts before getting there, just as we were about 5 miles away it detoured us perfectly. I guess living around london the messages come trhough quite well as we probably have the best coverage.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 4th July 2006, 10:38
Administrator

Eco display
Well something's wrong, because (once again) I went from Grimsby, through Lincoln and down to Nottingham, and didn't get any TMC data until I was just east of Nottingham (1 hour and 20 minutes of driving).

It seems that once it struggles to get data, it totally fails for ages. Or the reception's really bad on the TMC system...
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 4th July 2006, 11:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thx Pottsy, so what u r saying is if I go out and drive round for 1-2 hours it should work again Don't think it's worth the petrol...
Looks like Honda need to have a look at the TMC system, what’s the point if every time u go out of range it can take over an hour to recover.

Again thx for the help, I might give the dealer a call n see what they have to say.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 4th July 2006, 11:16

I would definitely report it as a fault for fixing under warranty. That way, if Honda ever find a fix (probably software), then you should be able to get it corrected even after the warranty runs out.

This certainly wasn't a problem with my previous TMC satnav. It could take a minute or two to regain the traffic data, but no longer.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 17th July 2006, 21:33
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Had the TMC problem yesterday (Pink TMC marker) while traveling back from the south lakes. There was no TMC data the whole way, this in itself would not have been a problem but for the fact that about 2 miles after passing the Galgate/Forton turn off (Jnc 33) all the southbound lanes came to a halt. It was then 1st and 2nd gear for the next 6.5 miles
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 17th July 2006, 22:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I got mine working yesterday for the first time in ages went out for a 3 hour run and ended up in Edinburgh, looked at the satnav and the TMC was working!!!
And Today...........Not working any more It must be a poor signal in my area but at least I know it still works. :P
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 2nd August 2006, 14:40

I have been in touch with Trafficmaster, and got a reply eventually after a reminder and some scattergun emailing. There is no coverage map available as yet, but I have been told that they will try to produce one. I have passed on the details of the ITIS versions so that they know what is needed.

I looked again at the ITIS web site and found that the information is transmitted by GWR Group, Chrysalis Radio and Capital Radio and the broadcast service provider NTL. Each of these do provide coverage information, but not consistently so. It actually looks as though North Lincs should be covered by Chrysalis Yorkshire transmissions, but South Lincs may be more of a problem.

Generally, it's less easy to put together a map, because the coverage is by a lot of low power local stations, with a definite skew to the South. I would guess that there are a lot of holes in the coverage, especially North of the Wash.

In my case, the TMC appears to lock on to Q103, which is not the nearest station as shown on the GWR coverage map
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 14:48

I have just had the following response from TrafficMaster, which explains my TMC dropouts in the King's Lynn area, and presumably also those in Lincs, the Lakes and Scotland. Sadly, it doesn't show coverage but at least gives an indication

The transmissions are made through VHS signals for independent LOCAL radio stations across the country, not BBC Local Stations nor Classic FM or other larger stations. They can only be received within the FM coverage of such local stations, and the network coverage is entirely in the hands of OFCOM and their sub-contractors. Generally, signals can be received no more than 30 miles from transmitters, which are located where a reasonably densely populated area is within the 30 mile radius to support a commercial local radio station. Therefore, coverage in Norfolk, for example, is restricted to no more than 30 miles from Norwich, which will not cover the Kings Lynn area. Similarly, coverage in both Wales and Scotland is extremely limited.

So. I have moved from a ITIS system that has good coverage with poor data, to a TrafficMaster system with poor coverage, but much more reliable data. I definitely prefer the current system, but it is far from ideal, especially given the concerns over the quality of signal provided by the window aerial.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 16:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the info **. Been to Edinburgh a couple of times now and it picks up a signal just about Livingston, at least I know it still works, but u would think Glasgow would qualify as a large enough City to have a transmission of it own (I live about 10 Mile from the City Centre) Bit annoying but hopefully the will sort out the black spots soon....

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page